Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st May 2004, 08:44 PM
semhoun Offline

Unhappy KMenuEdit & ShortKey

I have two problem with KDE and Fedora Core 2:
1) With KMenuEdit i can remove icon in interface, but they are not really remove (same after save and close). When I watch in kde-menu they are always here, also when I restart KMenuEdit
2) I can't use '"windows" key for shortcuts. When I press windows key "Window +" appair but when I press "e" key (with windows always pressed) only "E" appair.

Thanks for your help
Old 22nd May 2004, 02:41 AM
ogetbilo Offline
RPMFusion Dev

Did you do an upgrade or did you do a fresh install? I had similar problems after I upgraded from FC1. I simply deleted my .kde folder (which is in the home folder) and everything worked out

Thnigs that rule: Angelina, TKT, Linux, Supergravity, Alcohol...
Old 22nd May 2004, 04:35 AM
yusufma Offline

Same thing here and I did a fresh install.
Maybe I should also try to remove .kde?
Old 22nd May 2004, 04:14 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

It may not need to be that drastic. Removing the .kde directory wipes out ALL of your KDE settings. Here's what I'd suggest first...

In .kde/share there's probably a directory called applnk and/or applnk-redhat. This is where KDE used to store it's menu information. Move anything in those directoriies to a safe location (for later reference), logout and log back in. Then try your menu editing.

Here's what's happening: KDE has switched to using a new menu repository (it's part of the freedesktop interop). Menus are now in ./config/menus, the .desktop files are in .local, etc. Obviously, the KDE folks wanted to keep backwards compatibility, but the menu editor will apparently not actually delete/edit stuff in the applnk directories, as it apparently only works with the freedesktop files.
Old 22nd May 2004, 06:24 PM
jonoson Offline

How to set the Win key plus sth. up anyway?

I got the same problem...
How to set the shortcuts as [WIN+sth.] anyway?

thx a lot.
Old 22nd May 2004, 06:51 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

In the menu editor, when you select a menu entry, there's a button-like box at the bottom that you click on. This pops up a dialog where you just enter the keypress you want to associate with that menu entry.

If you want to do some other interesting stuff with keys (like control XMMS without it even being visible), use the Control Center: locate "Regional & Accessories/KHotKeys" - that can be quite fun.
Old 23rd May 2004, 09:12 AM
jonoson Offline

same problem...

Thanks for your replying, crackers.

But the problem like the semhoun told still exists. The chortcut key will become a single "E" when I pressed [WIN+E] instead of the expected result as that in FC2 test 1.

What's going on with my FC2?
Old 23rd May 2004, 12:59 PM
the-linux-guy Offline

Win + ... keys do not work anymore indeed !

Yup, I have the same problem here, even though I did a complete fresh install of FC2...

A lot of other stuff does not seem to work eighter, like auto-login into KDE or the "password-less" login into KDE... Also KHTML does a very terible job on the website http://www.bartendavid.be/ (lot's of text is misplaced and / or garbled) in Konqueror...

Also the new 2.6 kernel is giving me some headaches, messing around with partition tables during install, not supporting IEEE busses, giving flush errors to my harddisk during reboots, not supporting 3D for nvidia based cards, etc....

I was expecting a lot better from this release, but maybe the Fedora people released this version a little bit to soon ???

With kind regards,

Eddy
Old 29th January 2005, 06:05 AM
carpie Offline

Lightbulb FC2 and kmenuedit

I don't know if anyone is still stuck on the issue of kmenuedit not updating the menus in KDE 3.2 and FC2, but here's what I did to fix the problem:

First I noticed that in my home directory under .config/menus, there was a file named applications.menu and one named applications-kmenuedit.menu. It seemed that all the changes I'd been trying to do with kmenuedit were saved in applications-kmenuedit.menu. A quick look at applications.menu showed that it was merging applications from /etc/xdg/... So, I added:
<MergeFile>applications-kmenuedit.menu</MergeFile>
to applications.menu and all my changes showed up in my menu!

Hope this isn't too late to help someone...

Tags
kmenuedit, shortkey