Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th November 2007, 02:31 PM
akenateb Offline

Thumbs down Great work Fedora´s programmers, Fedora8 doesnt work on PS3.

Finally Fedora 8 official release is not possible to install on PS3.
Anaconda installer fails during instalation again.

We´ve been waiting and trying to install it since Fedora 8 test1 and nothing. It seems fedora team do not mind millions of users with ps3, is it time to look for another distro?

Great work with fedora 8, but i cant install it as i installed fedora 7.
I´ll try to make an update from fedora 7, but is it a normal install for distro?

Great deception.

Regards.
Old 9th November 2007, 02:36 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Maybe you should put away your toy and buy a computer? Your sig tells it all, Fedora does NOT sell, if you cant hack it then go elsewhere, it is a free market. I dont believe the developers really care one way or the other about your supposed millions of PS3 users who want to run Fedora on a toy.
Old 9th November 2007, 02:43 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
Maybe you should put away your toy and buy a computer? Your sig tells it all, Fedora does NOT sell, if you cant hack it then go elsewhere, it is a free market. I dont believe the developers really care one way or the other about your supposed millions of PS3 users who want to run Fedora on a toy.
I couldn't have said it better
Old 9th November 2007, 02:50 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
I couldn't have said it better
Well, now that I said it I can also say that I can appreciate Sony for allowing users to boot Linux distros and I think it is a wonderful idea. I would love to see Fedora go on there smoothly. But...The OP's haughty attitude is NOT the way to get sympathy from the developers or members of this forum. We are all a community and we work together. We dont sit around pointing fingers and telling others to make it work. YOU are the PS3 expert, YOU make it work. Just like WE make it work for PC users.
Old 9th November 2007, 08:33 PM
billb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
Maybe you should put away your toy and buy a computer?
Ah, here we go again with the "toy" comments ... That sort of comment is no better than the OP's and appears only to be meant to escalate the problem, or get the thread closed as was done here. I don't think I'll bite this time, either.

There is something of a valid point in this ... the Fedora 8 (and Fedora 7) release notes say:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...pecific-ppc-hw
"Sony PlayStation 3. For installation on PlayStation 3, first update to firmware 1.60 or later. The "Other OS" boot loader must be installed into the flash, following the instructions at http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html. A suitable boot loader image is located on the Fedora 8 install media. Once the boot loader is installed, the PlayStation 3 should boot from the Fedora install media. Select the linux64 from the graphical boot menu. For more information on Fedora and the PlayStation3 or Fedora on PowerPC in general, join the Fedora-PPC mailing list or the #fedora-ppc channel on FreeNode."

So one would assume that it will work since it is listed under supported hardware and there's no statement saying that it won't boot at this time. And bug reports were posted in the proper location on Bugzilla in addition to being mentioned here (regarding the test releases). And I can understand there being some frustration after trying 7.91, 7.92, and now F8, reporting problems, and still not having it work.

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for everyone involved here and I hate to see this tone on the forum.
Old 9th November 2007, 08:56 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Angry Ahem! Gentlemen!

Thread closed. Reasons obvious.

Last edited by TangledWeb; 9th November 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
fedora8, fedora´s, great, programmers, ps3, work