Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #61  
Old 29th February 2008, 09:52 PM
Hlingler's Avatar
Hlingler Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Connellsville, PA, USA
Posts: 11,307
Hello:

Sounds like your /etc/X11/xorg.conf may not be written correctly. What exactly do you mean: "i have to reinstall my driver everytime i reboot"? Or do you really mean "manually load"? More detail, please....

V
  #62  
Old 1st March 2008, 06:04 AM
snm_cal Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler
It usually helps to know what flavor of Fedora you're running, since this can make a difference.

There is an excellent HOWTO by the guy that builds the Livna nvidia drivers (FireWing1) here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=99285. NOTE the first line (in red) redirecting you to his own website for the latest revisions of the HOWTO for F7/8. I strongly recommend that you consult them (they're actually fairly short and simple). If you have problems after that, you can post to that thread, where FireWing1 will see your post and hopefully respond.

Regards,
V

Thanks A Ton. Definitely this is going to help me. Thanks a lot again.

Regards
Suvransu
  #63  
Old 26th April 2008, 09:31 PM
p1ngv1n's Avatar
p1ngv1n Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 6
i have nvidia geforce fx 5500 256MB graphic card and i want to know if fedora has drivers for it and if it does how can i install them. because i have installed some drivers but they aren't working properly. So if anyone can help me thanks.
  #64  
Old 26th April 2008, 09:42 PM
Hlingler's Avatar
Hlingler Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Connellsville, PA, USA
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1ngv1n
i have nvidia geforce fx 5500 256MB graphic card and i want to know if fedora has drivers for it and if it does how can i install them.
Yes, and No. Fedora ships with an open-source driver for nvidia chipsets/cards, but it does not provide full functionality for all features of those chipsets/cards. Configuration should be automatic. If you want it, you have to fetch the proprietary driver yourself from a 3rd party, either nvidia binary installers (NOT recommended) or one of several 3rd-party repositories that re-package the driver in RPM format for Fedora. See the link referenced above post. The good news is that your card is supported by the latest driver.
Quote:
because i have installed some drivers but they aren't working properly. So if anyone can help me thanks.
What have you installed, and where did you get it?

V
  #65  
Old 26th April 2008, 09:54 PM
p1ngv1n's Avatar
p1ngv1n Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 6
well i remembered that xorg have same drivers for graphic cards so i found some i pirut something like xorg x11 dr nvidia in the description said that it has drivers for the fx series so i install it but its not good. and what link?
  #66  
Old 26th April 2008, 10:02 PM
Hlingler's Avatar
Hlingler Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Connellsville, PA, USA
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1ngv1n
well i remembered that xorg have same drivers for graphic cards so i found some i pirut something like xorg x11 dr nvidia in the description said that it has drivers for the fx series so i install it but its not good.
Yes, that's the proprietary one that comes from the Livna repository: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia. You also should have installed the matching kmod-nvidia for your current kernel (I'm not sure if the kmod is automatically installed). Some manual configuration may be needed.
Quote:
and what link?
This link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler
There is an excellent HOWTO by the guy that builds the Livna nvidia drivers (FireWing1) here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=99285. NOTE the first line (in red) redirecting you to his own website for the latest revisions of the HOWTO for F7/8. I strongly recommend that you consult them (they're actually fairly short and simple). If you have problems after that, you can post to that thread, where FireWing1 will see your post and hopefully respond.
  #67  
Old 26th April 2008, 10:23 PM
p1ngv1n's Avatar
p1ngv1n Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 6
thanks all done
  #68  
Old 19th May 2008, 01:43 AM
thedude165 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 32
it seems to me that you can't upgrade to a new version of Fedora until a couple of weeks after it is initially released. I upgraded to Fedora 9 and I can get nvidia drivers. I am using Fedora 8 for now and will probably stay in 8 until nvidia releases new drivers. It seems that the last three releases of Fedora had major issues during its early release and finally becomes extremely stable just as the 6 month cycle ends. I wish the Fedora programmers would release the next Fedora release with more stability in mind rather than simply thinking about being cutting edge. I understand that Fedora is the guinea pig for Red Hat but we deserve some stability as loyal users. I will probably get some negative feedback from this post. Just venting my frustration. I get excited when there is a new release and to not have it work properly is discouraging.
  #69  
Old 19th May 2008, 01:47 PM
zx5000 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 37
I always go get the proprietary driver from nvidia. This is mostly because I have a quad head configuration.

NVidia is pretty good at keeping their drivers up to date with the kernels.

HTH
  #70  
Old 19th May 2008, 02:46 PM
Dan's Avatar
Dan Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paris, TX
Posts: 24,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude165
it seems to me that you can't upgrade to a new version of Fedora until a couple of weeks after it is initially released. I upgraded to Fedora 9 and I can get nvidia drivers. I am using Fedora 8 for now and will probably stay in 8 until nvidia releases new drivers. It seems that the last three releases of Fedora had major issues during its early release and finally becomes extremely stable just as the 6 month cycle ends. I wish the Fedora programmers would release the next Fedora release with more stability in mind rather than simply thinking about being cutting edge. I understand that Fedora is the guinea pig for Red Hat but we deserve some stability as loyal users. I will probably get some negative feedback from this post. Just venting my frustration. I get excited when there is a new release and to not have it work properly is discouraging.
Ayup! Here comes the heat.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCy...9%7C%28life%29

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Object...8objectives%29

Now that that's settled ...

Try coming here and joining a constructive conversation about this issue.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=188693


Dan
  #71  
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:00 PM
doghousedean Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Hello everyone, im new to fedora and linux but need to get stuck in and learn a new platform. Jumped in and installed Fedora 9 on an IBM xseries x335 with build in ATI rage xl (I think) it was stuck at 800 x 600 and doing my head in, i changed the driver to rage 128 and it boots to CLI mode only. 1) how would i boot the GUI and 2) how do i change the driver from CLI?

Thanks gents
  #72  
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:54 AM
Hlingler's Avatar
Hlingler Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Connellsville, PA, USA
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghousedean
Hello everyone, im new to fedora and linux but need to get stuck in and learn a new platform. Jumped in and installed Fedora 9 on an IBM xseries x335 with build in ATI rage xl (I think) it was stuck at 800 x 600 and doing my head in, i changed the driver to rage 128 and it boots to CLI mode only. 1) how would i boot the GUI and 2) how do i change the driver from CLI?

Thanks gents
(1) See #2, it needs to be fixed first.
(2) Re-boot. Right after the BIOS loads, you'll see a few short messages flash by: "GRUB loading Stage2" or such, then a screen with Blue-ish background - that's the GRUB bootloader screen. STOP the automatic boot loading by pressing any key. You'll see a list come up with your boot options - in your case, probably just one Fedora kernel and maybe one other entry: "Other". Follow the on-screen instructions to "edit" the boot parameters, and "alter" the boot line to add the number 3 to the end on the kernel line, like so:
Code:
title Fedora (2.6.24.7-92.fc8)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-92.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb selinux=off agp=off apic=debug init=/sbin/bootchartd 3
        initrd /initrd-2.6.24.7-92.fc8.img
title Fedora (2.6.24.5-85.fc8)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-85.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb selinux=off agp=off apic=debug init=/sbin/bootchartd
        initrd /initrd-2.6.24.5-85.fc8.img
title Windows XP Media Center Edition
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
Then press enter, then 'b' to boot. You'll get an otherwise normal boot into run-level 3, which is without GUI/X11. You'll be dumped into a full-screen terminal window on Virtual Terminal #1 (VT1, ALT-CTL-F1) where you can fix things. Log into the terminal as root user. You'll have to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file using a text-mode editor such as VI[M], or even create it if it doesn't exist. You can make it easier on yourself: system-config-display can be used from the VT1, just command: system-config-display, and you'll get another screen with the "Display Manager" GUI. Make changes/settings, you'll be dumped back to VT1 when you press "OK/Apply".

Unfortunately, the Rage XL is a mach64-class chipset, and Fedora Project has blocked the driver from inclusion into the OS releases for years due to (long-since closed) "security" concerns. I've got an open Bug Report/Feature Request to get it added in: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=448346. Not only that, but for F9, the mach64 driver has been split out from the general ATI driver wrapper into it's own driver package - which doesn't even exist yet in Fedora!

Short story: you're screwed. You can try to tag the driver as 'ati' and see if the generic ati driver will run that chipset. If not (probably not), you're stuck with the uber-generic 'vesa' driver, which will probably not be able to give you much better than what you got: 800x600 resolution. Sorry. Or, forget F9 for now, try F8, see my How-To in the "Guides and How-Tos" froum where you can get the 3D/DRI mach64 driver for F8 - it is well tested and works well.

Available resolution(s) will depend mostly on available VRAM. How much VRAM do you have with that old thing? You can double available resolutions by dropping color depth to 16 bpp, which I find to be adequate (but be aware that many newer games & stuff won't run and/or look good at 16 bpp). My oldest box has ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X, 4 MB VRAM, 832x624 @ 16 bpp is max resolution, and it's not so bad if you adjust all fonts/icon sizes etc. Same chipset with 8 MB VRAM I got 1024x768 @ 16 bpp. Try to set your display settings accordingly, i.e., do NOT select the max resolution of the monitor, but the max you think the chipset an handle with available VRAM. Use 16 bpp color depth for now to get the highest possible resolution.

Good Luck, and Welcome to Fedora!
V
  #73  
Old 3rd June 2008, 01:24 PM
doghousedean Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
WOW!

Thanks for the response, I will go over the details when I get home.

Thanks again.
  #74  
Old 5th June 2008, 01:43 AM
Hlingler's Avatar
Hlingler Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Connellsville, PA, USA
Posts: 11,307
OK, I got the 2D mach64 driver, 3D mesa DRI drivers and kernel modules built for F9-x86 (kernel-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 only so far) and it's working - with a few minor glitches. I think I had a slightly bad build, and there's some minor warnings, and glxinfo says "No" direct rendering, but it's quite obviously working based on glxgears 35-40 FPS >> 125 FPS and also /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows all green flags. See my "How-To" for "Direct Rendering for Older Videocards" in the "Guides and How-Tos" forum. I'll have the RPMs and other files uploaded shortly, and revise the How-To.

V

EDIT: OK, I must have screwed up the build just a little because it was looking in the wrong folder for the driver - a simple sym-link from /usr/local/lib/dri/mach64_dri.so =>> /usr/lib/dri/mach64_dri.so fixed everything (driconf and glxinfo). Will fix this next build.

Last edited by Hlingler; 5th June 2008 at 04:23 AM.
  #75  
Old 10th June 2008, 08:31 PM
Kre's Avatar
Kre Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Timisoara, Romania
Age: 31
Posts: 3
Ati Radeon Mobility

Hey all. I'm using an IBM T41 with an ATI Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] on it. Now, it's working pretty well, but i prefer using the GPU also, not only my CPU. I found on ati website the drivers i think i need, but when trying to install them i get:

Detected configuration:
Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
which: no XFree86 in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/home/adrian/bin)
X Server: unable to detect
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

my F9 is up to date and i don't know what to do next.
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage :D
Closed Thread

Tags
ati , binary , drivers , nvidia , problem , warning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D acceleration not working with Nvidia binary drivers bjrosen Fedora 13 Development Branch 10 20th May 2010 04:57 PM
F12, two graphics cards and nVidia binary drivers eoghan Using Fedora 0 14th April 2010 06:24 PM
Nvidia binary drivers and Fedora 10, do they work? bjrosen Hardware & Laptops 2 25th November 2008 10:41 PM


Current GMT-time: 17:14 (Monday, 23-10-2017)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat