Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st August 2017, 08:37 PM
safulop Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Best way to reinstall Grub

I assure you my installed system was also Fedora; however it had been modified by me so it had apt-get already. I don't know why it didn't have yum or dnf, that's what made me realize I had seriously broken it by a "remove" command I did earlier using apt-get. That is probably what caused the system to die and fail to boot in the first place. I didn't know how apt-get worked and when I did a "remove" command for a package it removed too many other things along with it and broke the system.

In any case I have now fixed the situation by installing Fedora 26, using custom installation where it only formatted the root and boot partitions, thus saving all my personal files and installing GRUB.
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:30 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

amiga wrote:
Quote:
This doesn't make sense as apt-get is not in Fedora at all.
Actually, if you seek apt-get in rpmfind.net, it reveals the corresponding program for various fedoras including f25 and f26. It's in the package apt *.rpm and within it is the executable apt-get.
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:32 AM
safulop Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Some sources say that apt-get doesn't work in Fedora, or doesn't work correctly. I found this to be true, since it deleted half my system when I tried to remove one package.
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:37 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

that wasn't a specific issue due to using apt-get as it can happen if you use any package manager dependent entirely on the package you are attempting to remove.

if apt-get didn't warn you of the other packages it would remove before you ran the transaction then clearly it needs some work.

dnf will warn you before running the transaction as long as you do not add the -y switch to the dnf command.
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:56 PM
safulop Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
that wasn't a specific issue due to using apt-get as it can happen if you use any package manager dependent entirely on the package you are attempting to remove.

if apt-get didn't warn you of the other packages it would remove before you ran the transaction then clearly it needs some work.

dnf will warn you before running the transaction as long as you do not add the -y switch to the dnf command.
I did get a warning; I didn't read the other packages very closely but enough to see there were over 200 mentioned; then when I tried to cancel the operation I accidentally typed 'y' somehow and it did the operation.

Still it seemed strange to me that a command to remove python3-pip would also have to remove so much stuff that it left the system broken.

Tags
grub , reinstall