Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th July 2017, 08:23 PM
mercury1 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Fedora 25/26 does not boot after update to kernel version 4.11. (wifiissue?)

Dear Fedora community,

a few weeks ago my system 8fedora 25) was not able to boot anymore after a kernel update from 4.10.16 to 4.11.5, but did boot fine with the previous kernel version (4.10.16). Now, after the release of fedora 26, I attempted an upgrade in the hope that the issue would be resolved by now, but the system is still not bootable and the upgrade process apparently broke the system stability of my old fedora 25 version as well, such that I have no working version of fedora left. My next step would be a fresh install of fedora 26, but maybe someone here has a better idea.

The boot process appears to stop while trying to establish a wifi connection (I am a layman, though, so I may be wrong). The screen looks like shown in the boot_screen.jpg attachment. I waited for ~5 minutes but nothing happens anymore after that.

My wifi adapter is a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, in case that is relevant. Also, my system is a dual boot with windows 10 (64 bit). You can see my GRUB screen in the grub_screen.jpg attachment.

Other system parameter which may be interesting:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 HQ
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (i installed the proprietary nVidia driver under fedora 25)
  • Hard Disk: 250 GB m.2 Samsung 850 EVO (on which I installed fedora)
  • 2nd hard disk: 1TB Seagate FireCuda (data drive)

Please forgive me in case this is a known issue. I could not find anything using startpage. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boot_screen.jpg (245.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg grub_screen.jpg (108.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:53 AM
mulisak Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora 25/26 does not boot after update to kernel version 4.11. (wifiissue?)

You need to recompile proprietary drivers for the running kernel. Every time the kernel changes.

Download latest NVIDIA and try to install them. Some patching may be needed for the latest kernel.

Tags
25 or 26 , 411 , boot , fedora , kernel , update , version , wifi , wifiissue