Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th July 2017, 09:44 AM
Captain Rookie Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Red face Center display (disable stretching) using VESA driver. (Or alternate fix.)

Update:

I ended up giving the laptop away (I was also given it), I should have tried again to center the display using the complicated xrandr scale system but none of the vga= possibilities worked and the SiS/VESA performance was just so bad.

Fedora 25 LXDE, SiS 671/771 GPU

Fedora doesn't have the "sisimedia" driver needed, people have been requesting it for the past 9 years. (Link below.)

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=470724

PCLinuxOS has a new RPM but it doesn't work on Fedora 25.

By adding nomodeset and vga=ask as kernel parameters I get 1280x768 on my 1280x800 display but that vertical stretch makes the display look pretty bad.

The
Code:
xrandr --output default --set "scaling mode" "Center"
command does not work as I don't think it supports the VESA driver? Is that correct? But there's alternative way using xrandr and the scale command?

From what I understand VESA can't do certain resolutions so actually getting 1280x800 is out of the question? Is that correct?

This official Ubuntu wiki page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

claims this simple xorg entry

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    VideoRam 10000
EndSection
makes all resolutions available to VESA but I haven't seen anyone in a forum claim it works and it didn't work for me.

Last edited by Captain Rookie; 1st August 2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Closed without resolution.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:54 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Center display (disable stretching) using VESA driver. (Or alternate fix.)

what works for ubuntu is never guaranteed to work for Fedora anyhow. they use completely different Xorg builds. Fedora follows Xorg upstream much more closely as it isn't a long term support operating system like Ubuntu.

try these instead of vga=ask and remove nomodeset as you shouldn't need it if the following work okay:

vga=0x362

or

vga=864 (8-bit)
vga=865 (max colour depth)
Old 20th July 2017, 10:00 AM
Captain Rookie Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Thanks for the reply.

I can already get 1280x768 the issue is it's being stretched on 1280x800 screen.

Those commands will also do 1280x768 won't they? (Or not?)

Edit: Don't have access to that PC at the moment will check this soon.

Last edited by Captain Rookie; 20th July 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 20th July 2017, 12:03 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I believe they are codes for 1280x800. I took them from an arch forum thread. Typically unlike Ubuntu stuff, Arch actually applies to Fedora too.

They are codes accepted by Intel and NVIDIA adaptors, it won't do your notebook's GPU any harm to try them. They will either work or not.
Old 1st August 2017, 11:20 AM
Captain Rookie Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I ended up giving the laptop away (I was also given it), I should have tried again to center the display using the complicated xrandr scale system but none of the vga= possibilities worked and the SiS/VESA performance was just so bad. Thanks for the help though antikythera .
Old 2nd August 2017, 07:44 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Fair enough, given the age of the hardware and GPU it had, you were along the right lines though. the best you could really have hoped for with Fedora would be getting a lightweight desktop environment like LXDE running, which it evidently didn't too well.

Tags
alternate, center, disable, display, driver, fix, stretching, vesa