Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th March 2017, 01:39 AM
ov10fac Online

linuxfedorafirefox
VLC broken? (Solved)

I have read several threads about this problem. I can run vlc and get audio but no video. I get the following errors when I load a DVD into VLC:

[00007fb530003c38] core video output error: video output creation failed
[00007fb53c1be658] core decoder error: failed to create video output
Cannot find EGLConfig, returning null config
[00007fb53c1be658] avcodec decoder error: avcodec_send_packet critical error
[00007fb53c1be658] core decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
[0000561a56fe8668] pulse audio output error: digital pass-through stream connection failure: Not supported
[0000561a56fe8668] core audio output error: module not functional
[00007fb53c1d1438] core decoder error: failed to create audio output
[00007fb51402caa8] equalizer audio filter error: No preset selected
[0000561a56fe8668] core audio output error: cannot add user audio filter "equalizer" (skipped)

So I have tried all the suggestions (roll back, install newer wayland and re-install vlc) and none of them work. So has anyone found a solution to this error.

Thanks.

Last edited by ov10fac; 18th March 2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Solved the problem.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:22 PM
ov10fac Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: VLC broken?

Think I found the problem. I installed Handbrake to rip some DVDs and that broke VLC. I "downgraded" VLC and it now runs as before, but the downgrade removed handbrake. So, there must be some kind of relationship between HandBrake and VLC.

So I switched to DVD::RIP and that seems to be working fine.
Old 18th March 2017, 09:20 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Interesting. I always use mplayer, not VLC.
Old 19th March 2017, 08:23 AM
sopranos Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Hello.

im using F25 x64 and having the same issue with VLC, plus i'm unable to start Teamviewer.
when i try to start Teamviewer, i keep getting red error mark on the app icon on the bottom left corner of the screen.

tried removing vlc & teamviewer and re-install.
tired updating the system.
none of that worked

besides these 2 apps, everything is smooth.

does anyone have a solution for this?

thanks!
Old 19th March 2017, 02:34 PM
ov10fac Online

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001 View Post
Interesting. I always use mplayer, not VLC.
Many years ago I used xine. When I loaded dvd::rip it needed xine, so I installed it. No that's what I use until someone figures out that VLC needs to be fixed, or F25 needs fixing. I suspect wayland, but just a guess.
Old 20th March 2017, 07:58 AM
sopranos Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

What interesting about this issue is that im using F25 for a few months already and everything was smooth.
Until this issue, i havent updated the system for a month, so dont think it's Kernel related.
tried downgrading VLC - still no Good!
Old 20th March 2017, 09:48 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov10fac View Post
Many years ago I used xine. When I loaded dvd::rip it needed xine, so I installed it. No that's what I use until someone figures out that VLC needs to be fixed, or F25 needs fixing. I suspect wayland, but just a guess.
If it's HandBrake related, it's likely just a shared libs problem, where VLC needs different versions than HandBrake.

VLC doesn't need fixing itself in such a case, Linux does. Depending on your priority, you may keep HandBrake package and try VLC appimage e.g.
But it may as well be a packaging problem. If both are installed alongside and RPM doesn't complain, that's what may need fixing.

I'm on CentOS 7 and I have both of them working just fine (albeit older versions), so I can't say what the problem really is. Well, and I use mplayer most of the time anyway.
Old 20th March 2017, 08:32 PM
ov10fac Online

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
If it's HandBrake related, it's likely just a shared libs problem, where VLC needs different versions than HandBrake.

VLC doesn't need fixing itself in such a case, Linux does. Depending on your priority, you may keep HandBrake package and try VLC appimage e.g.
But it may as well be a packaging problem. If both are installed alongside and RPM doesn't complain, that's what may need fixing.

I'm on CentOS 7 and I have both of them working just fine (albeit older versions), so I can't say what the problem really is. Well, and I use mplayer most of the time anyway.
Whats really interesting is that when I remove VLC it also removes HandBrake. I can then re-install VLC and downgrade it and it works fine until I install Handbrake again. As Sgt Klink used to say "Verrrrry Interestering"
Old 21st March 2017, 05:31 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

HandBrake and VLC are not related. They are both end-of-branch stuff that should never interfere.
If you install VLC and it works and then you install HB and there is a problem with function of VLC, that itself is a problem that shouldn't happen. Theoretically.

But if you afterwards remove VLC and that also removes HB, than it deserves filing a bug report, as that is definitely packaging error, unless:

1) Fedora versions of those apps are built to depend on each other, but I seriously doubt that.
2) you're using two different and possibly conflicting repos for those two apps and/or their dependencies.
Old 21st March 2017, 06:33 AM
sopranos Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

thanks for your reply.

im not sure if HB is related or not
I've tried the following:

sudo dnf install qt5-qtwayland.x86_64
sudo dnf remove vlc
sudo dnf install vlc

that did Not work either!
I'm still having the same issue with Teamviewer.
And the WIFI keep disconnecting after a few mins.

something has really gone wrong on my OS
Old 21st March 2017, 09:27 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranos View Post
thanks for your reply.

im not sure if HB is related or not
I've tried the following:

sudo dnf install qt5-qtwayland.x86_64
sudo dnf remove vlc
sudo dnf install vlc

that did Not work either!
I'm still having the same issue with Teamviewer.
And the WIFI keep disconnecting after a few mins.

something has really gone wrong on my OS

I reckon to much testing going on with new environments, conflicting software, odd drivers, .....

If you want stability I recommend lxdm display manager and xfce as a Desktop.
I've been using the same combination on dozens upon dozens of PCs, laptops, gadgets, you name it, and it's super stable.
MHO.
Old 21st March 2017, 02:11 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I had the same problem about a year ago, Handbrake broke VLC. After some research I found that they both use some of the same dependencies, but different versions. Installing HB replaced an *.so file that wouldn't work with VLC because it was a different version. I removed HB because it was a trainwreck from the word go, then manually replaced that .so file with the original version (from my other computer) and VLC worked again.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:08 PM
ov10fac Online

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDamFool View Post
I had the same problem about a year ago, Handbrake broke VLC. After some research I found that they both use some of the same dependencies, but different versions. Installing HB replaced an *.so file that wouldn't work with VLC because it was a different version. I removed HB because it was a trainwreck from the word go, then manually replaced that .so file with the original version (from my other computer) and VLC worked again.
Ok, that makes sense. I have used Handbrake because its the only ripper I have found that rips without putting subcaptions on the video. I have tried dvd::rip, and a few others and always get either french or spanish subcaptions, except where I need them like Dances with Wolves. Go figure.
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:33 AM
robertdaleweir Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov10fac View Post
Ok, that makes sense. I have used Handbrake because its the only ripper I have found that rips without putting subcaptions on the video. I have tried dvd::rip, and a few others and always get either french or spanish subcaptions, except where I need them like Dances with Wolves. Go figure.
I used the approach in the following URL by Sparky68 25 Feb 2017 12:04
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic...137734#p453883
It solved my problem with VLC on several machines. Hope it helps you.
MoBo Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:46 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Hm, so what was your previous video output setting?
To me, by far the best results in VLC are Opengl (XCB) output with NO hardware acceleration in the input/codecs section, otherwise it may freak out.
XVideo is old and may also introduce tearing.

Nvidia blob has proper XVideo sync per-monitor, but other drivers don't. They usually require tinkering with xorg config, Intel e.g. Unless Intel's drivers defaults are now more friendly in this regard, I don't know. And I have zero clue for AMD.

Tags
broken, vlc