Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th March 2017, 11:22 PM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Help me with variables !

Hi.

Please look for this command:

$ convert *.tiff -deskew 80% -morphology Close Diamond:1 -sharpen 0x10 -alpha off -monochrome -compress Group4 output.pdf

I like to convert it to script called "optimize-to-pdf.sh"

Quote:
#! /bin/bash
convert *.tiff -deskew 80% -morphology Close Diamond:1 -sharpen 0x10 -alpha off -monochrome -compress Group4 output.pdf
I like to make a variable for *.tiff so that I can select image format type to be processed. Also, if possible, to make variable for "output.pdf" so that can I select name of output PDF.
Old 13th March 2017, 04:27 AM
hiGuys Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Help me with variables !

You could experiment with $1 and $2.

Code:
#! /bin/bash
convert *."$1" -deskew 80% -morphology Close Diamond:1 -sharpen 0x10 -alpha off -monochrome -compress Group4 "$2"
Code:
$ optimize-to-pdf.sh png custom_output.pdf
I didn't test this, so there might be syntax errors to be dealt with, but the general idea in bash is that $1 will be replaced with the first argument of the command and $2 with the second.

Last edited by hiGuys; 13th March 2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 13th March 2017, 11:05 PM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

@hiGuys

Thank you very much ! It work ! But I modify what you suggest as following:

Quote:
#! /bin/bash
convert *."$1" -deskew 80% -morphology Close Diamond:1 -alpha off -monochrome -compress Group4 "$2".pdf
1) Look for what I marked by red. This command specifically written to convert into PDF not other format. It is unwise to allow for chosen other format output because, for ex: compression option will not be suitable for other output format.

2) I discovered, by experience that "-sharpen 0x10" or even "-sharpen 0x1.0" tend to reverse function of "-morphology Close Diamond:1". So, it is better not to use "-sharpen" at all.

----------------------------

Please beware: this command (script) should to applied ONLY ON ALREADY MONOCHROME (BLACK & WHITE) IMAGES. If you have colored image you should convert them 1st to monochrome images before process them by this command (script) ........ .
Old 13th March 2017, 11:23 PM
hiGuys Offline

linuxfirefox

Very glad it worked out for you. Sounds like you are making good progress on your project. Yes, if you will only have pdf files for output it makes very good sense to code it like you have.

Tags
variables