Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th February 2017, 10:54 AM
Unsane Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Color management in MATE

Hello All,

I've recently upgraded my Laptop hdd and decided to move over to using the MATE spin. So far it's working brilliantly, but I am having difficulty getting color management working.

I installed DisplayCal and tried loading a .icc profile I'd make using Fedora 24 Cinnamon, but got an error while loading. I then posted a bug report on the DisplayCal webiste and was advised to install xiccd. Sadly Fedora doesn't seem to have a package for it and I couldn't get the source to compile.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to get color management working on Mate? I really love how stable and lightweight it is, but being a keen photographer need a colour managed display.

Thanks, Unsane

P.S. I'm using Marco currently and have removed compiz as I don't like the effects. I am willing to use it thought if color management requires a compositing window manager.
Old 9th March 2017, 06:47 AM
EastTexas Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Color management in MATE

David Revoy, Krita Artist has lots of good color info.

Xfce has same problem across most distros w/ Ubuntu Studio being the exception.

Xfce DE uStudio for Multimedia enthusiasts and GNOME 3 Fedora Design Suite is more for Photographers & Designers pros both has color management.

I can't think of a reason why all DE's should not have color management?

Creatives should use a Lightweight DE so resources can be utilized by editing programs and not a bloated DE.
Old 9th March 2017, 08:12 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I solved all my color issues in Xfce by using qt5ct properly with the env variable needed, so I can get my dark widgets now on the KDE apps I use (kate, konqueror, konsole) , which now match all others.
example (for in the dark working):

Last edited by bobx001; 9th March 2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 9th March 2017, 08:45 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001 View Post
I solved all my color issues in Xfce by using qt5ct properly with the env variable needed, so I can get my dark widgets now on the KDE apps I use (kate, konqueror, konsole) , which now match all others.
example (for in the dark working):
@bobx001 - ICC profiles are used by image editors and viewers for accurate colours in printed and displayed photographs, not sorting out errant widgets and GUI elements.

@Unsane - For colour management in MATE, please add mate-desktop-extras from COPR. It's the MATE maintainer's own work. Installation instructions are given on the page linked to below.

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...desktop-extra/
Old 9th March 2017, 10:20 AM
Unsane Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

@antikythera
Thanks for posting that up. I'm currently running the Cinnamon Spin (but would much rather be using MATE), if I installed MATE alongside cinnamon to test the COPR out, would Cinnamon's packages interfere in any way? Or is it best to do a clean install?

I realise that this may not be anything to do with you at all, but do you know why these packages aren't in the main repositories? I'm sure there are many others like myself who would like to use a lightweight traditional DE with color management. I'm not trying to blame or attack anyone here, but merely suggesting they would be really useful for many like myself if they were included in the MATE spin.
Old 9th March 2017, 11:23 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

they should run okay next to each other. you may get a few duplicate entries in menus and the control panel.

I can't recall why they aren't included these days apart from the fact they haven't been officially added to the Fedora Project package list. They should be though
Old 9th March 2017, 11:20 PM
EastTexas Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Thanks for the advice 8)
I may be a noob playing with live DVD's for now, but soon I won't be
Old 10th March 2017, 11:28 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

best way to learn is to get to grips with what is on the Live DVDs before installing. alternatively you could run Fedora in a virtual machine and experiment without the risk of screwing up your installed operating system.
Old 11th March 2017, 03:49 AM
EastTexas Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Which free VM software for W7 Pro x64?
Old 11th March 2017, 04:40 AM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Oracle VirtualBox is available for Windows, and it's free. Also, you can use VMWare Player for free I believe as well. I've seen more support for VirtualBox than VMWare on this forum.

dd_wizard
Old 11th March 2017, 11:30 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Personally I use VirtualBox with W7 SP1 64-bit and it works reasonably well with hardware virtualisation enabled. The host system is driven by an AMD Athlon 5350 with 8GB RAM. I usually share 2 of the 4 processor cores and half the RAM
Old 11th March 2017, 05:06 PM
Unsane Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've just tried installing mate-color-manager, but when I try to run it from the terminal it says command not found. I've verified that it is installed through yumex, so there seems to be some issues with the package on Fedora at the moment.
I'm not sure how I report a bug in a package from a copr repo, could someone enlighten me?

Last edited by Unsane; 11th March 2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add extra question
Old 11th March 2017, 05:42 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

you run the program from the application menu or control panel normally. If it still fails, you can contact the developer via email (see the package changelogs in yumex-dnf for mate packages) or irc channel #fedora-mate
Old 25th May 2017, 12:47 AM
jimj_wpg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsane View Post
Hello All,

I've recently upgraded my Laptop hdd and decided to move over to using the MATE spin. So far it's working brilliantly, but I am having difficulty getting color management working.

I installed DisplayCal and tried loading a .icc profile I'd make using Fedora 24 Cinnamon, but got an error while loading. I then posted a bug report on the DisplayCal webiste and was advised to install xiccd. Sadly Fedora doesn't seem to have a package for it and I couldn't get the source to compile.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to get color management working on Mate? I really love how stable and lightweight it is, but being a keen photographer need a colour managed display.

Thanks, Unsane

P.S. I'm using Marco currently and have removed compiz as I don't like the effects. I am willing to use it thought if color management requires a compositing window manager.
At one time about a year or two ago was also having problems using DisplayCAL in MATE.

I communicated this to the developer on the web forum and he couldn't figure it out.

Then one day I chose to load the GNOME 3 desktop instead of MATE and everything worked fine since.

I think the issue is that at some point in DisplayCAL's development, he chose to develop for GTK+ 3 instead of 2.x.

The software just doesn't work properly in MATE anymore.

BTW, here's the thread discussion I had with Florian rearding the issue I was having of DisplayCal not loading the new .icc profiles...

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/to...hing-e35683bb/

Last edited by jimj_wpg; 25th May 2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 25th May 2017, 11:24 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

well a fresh install of MATE 25 onwards will be native GTK+3, so the problems you experienced should be mitigated. That said, it depends as well which point release of GTK+3 the application is compiled for. I have several OS installed and each use different point releases of GTK+3.

Tags
color, management, mate