Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd September 2017, 03:34 PM
r12jkf3 Offline

linuxfirefox
Isp mixing?

If someone wants to hack your data stream and you are at home, I assume it's pretty easy to identify your stream, especially if you're the only one there at the time. I believe this is why it's recommended to do any sensitive research at a coffee shop, where it's more difficult to isolate your stream, from eveyone else's. I'm also aware that some homeowners with can-tennas and different ISPs share their WiFi with one another this way as a backup for loss of connectivity in one or the other home.. Why couldn't someone just aggregate many ISPs and then share this with the entire neighborhood, or within their own group to maximize annonymity, even when at home? Heck, several master nodes coulld even mix with one another, to really get your signal lost...
Old 9th September 2017, 07:58 PM
lightman47 Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Isp mixing?

The public/coffee shop idea blows my mind - the very place that's easy to eavesdrop.

Then there's the 'hopping' concept - if it indeed worked, you'd never get anything done - your machine would spend the entire time 'authenticating' and syncing. And, like I said, if it indeed worked! My feeble understanding is that network cards tend to 'hang onto' a connection until the signals is just too weak to do so - THEN it looks for another, taking some time to 'connect/authenticate'. And isn't there 'handshaking' to a connection - i.e. you can't just bounce connect to connect. Packet you request (half of your communication) are delivered via the connection that requested them. If you're not there anymore, dropped packets and you not receiving anything.

Correct me if I am wrong - I don't mind learning. To me, this whole concept just seems, well ...

just my 2 cents, or even less
Old 9th September 2017, 09:35 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Some ISP already 'share' customers connections. BT for example. the openzone is in a separate channel to private wifi (supposedly isolated).

First thing I did with our BT router was disable this and change the default admin and wifi passwords. they are always way too weak. then changed and hid the SSID for 2.4G and 5G channels. I change the password regularly and use a password generator application to create scrambled character passwords from the supported full ASCII table.
Old 14th September 2017, 05:46 AM
flyingfsck Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Read up on 'Round Robin DNS' and 'LAG'.

Tags
isp, mixing