Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th October 2009, 08:12 AM
tkalfaoglu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
touchpad: Once disabled, always disabled

I once disabled my touchpad because I would rub against it while typing and it would move my mouse elsewhere. I have since re-enabled it from the same place (system -> preferences -> pointing device) but it remains disabled at next boot up.

I know it's a per-user setting, because when I logon as another user to the same laptop, touchpad remains enabled..

Not having a mouse around and a touchpad that is disabled is most distressing, as I get stuck! Anyone know how to renable the mouse for a user, or just to reset the settings of the touchpad..

-turgut
Old 11th October 2009, 11:07 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
I have the opposite problem. After every reboot, the touchpad reenables itself. I want the touchpad to stay off until I tell the software to enable it again. I also use System > Preferences > Pointing Device.
Old 12th October 2009, 09:05 AM
bigboss2200 Offline
Wondering Where I Am

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkalfaoglu View Post
I once disabled my touchpad because I would rub against it while typing and it would move my mouse elsewhere. I have since re-enabled it from the same place (system -> preferences -> pointing device) but it remains disabled at next boot up.

I know it's a per-user setting, because when I logon as another user to the same laptop, touchpad remains enabled..

Not having a mouse around and a touchpad that is disabled is most distressing, as I get stuck! Anyone know how to renable the mouse for a user, or just to reset the settings of the touchpad..

-turgut
Try to issue this command as a normal user
Code:
synclient TapButton1=1
This should enable tapping for the current user.. If it works, then you can make this command auto executed after each reboot
Old 12th October 2009, 01:33 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
I found the solution to my problem. Uninstall gpointing-device-settings and install gsynaptics with the following command...
Code:
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/Packages/gsynaptics-0.9.16-1.fc11.i586.rpm
Then add gpointing* and gsynaptics* to the exclude list in /etc/yum.conf...
Code:
exclude=gsynaptics* gpointing*
Finally, disable the touchpad in System > Preferences > Touchpad.

EDIT: Bug report filed... https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=528485

Last edited by David Batson; 12th October 2009 at 02:24 PM.

Tags
disabled , touchpad