Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 1st June 2015, 02:01 PM
liderbug Offline

linuxfirefox
I know better than you so just do it my way...

RANT!!! It used to be when you downloaded Linux and started an install you were allowed to select all sorts of things. Starting with the desktop and did you want Apache and a database and office apps. But no more. Those who put the ISO's together like Gnome. Personal preference. OK. For them but not my preference. I prefer KDE. The spin is dl'ing now. I'm really getting tired of "I know better so do it my way.". And that goes for software, how to raise my kids, what to eat, how to drive my car, how I ..... FU! Backoff!

Oh, and if it ain't broke - DON'T FIX IT.

Old 1st June 2015, 02:46 PM
flyingdutchman Offline

macosfirefox
Re: I know better than you so just do it my way...

Simple. Same as always. Install a server version and then add the programs you want.
Old 1st June 2015, 02:54 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Personally, I tend to agree. I don't like the direction things are going, either. I want to make the choices myself, not have someone else dictate what I get installed on my machine.

But, as flyingdutchman above says... Install a server version, and you do get somewhat of a larger choice in what you install.
Old 1st June 2015, 03:04 PM
kkshethin Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

The advice of using server version may be true but why is is so big then. Net iso equaling installing a full fledged distro
Old 1st June 2015, 03:22 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

???

The Fedora 22 server 64 bit netinstall image is 448MB

How is that very big?

Edit:

You may be looking at the server live install, which does indeed have a lot more packages on it that the net install does.

Link to Fedora 22 64 bit netinstall image:

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pu...-x86_64-22.iso
Old 1st June 2015, 04:32 PM
liderbug Offline

linuxfirefox

Well I've downloaded KDE22WS and installed and things are ... well close - so far I've found that window resize, drag the border, doesn't exist anymore, it's now buried in the top-left menu - wasn't broke but Oh guess what, we made it better, why? because ... we know better than you...

And I was just thinking - One goes to the Fedora site [download] and you get Gnome - nothing else is offered. KDE, well if you search, dig, google - Ah-ha, there's KDE22 but then We know better...
Old 1st June 2015, 04:49 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by liderbug
And I was just thinking - One goes to the Fedora site [download] and you get Gnome - nothing else is offered. KDE, well if you search, dig, google - Ah-ha, there's KDE22 but then We know better...
That's nonsense. Everything is offered on the official getfedora.org webpage. At the top, Workstation (Gnome), Server and Cloud are prominently displayed. Scroll down to to the "Downloads" section and there are links to everything else. It couldn't be any simpler or easier if you "just look".
Old 1st June 2015, 05:00 PM
Finalzone Online
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton;1734056
You may be looking at the server live install, which does indeed have a lot more packages on it that the net install does.

Link to Fedora 22 64 bit netinstall image:

[url
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/22/Server/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-22.iso[/url]
Workstation version now has a netinstall as well
https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

Same size as Server edition but different label.
Old 1st June 2015, 05:42 PM
joncr Offline

unknownfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by liderbug View Post
Well I've downloaded KDE22WS and installed and things are ... well close - so far I've found that window resize, drag the border, doesn't exist anymore, it's now buried in the top-left menu - wasn't broke but Oh guess what, we made it better, why? because ... we know better than you...

Resize, drag, etc., are there. But there is some weirdness with the cursors in that they do not necessarily morph as expected over a window edge or corner. Again, not Fedora-specific in my experience. Try changing to the traditional KDE cursor.

Picking a DE as a primary for any distro seems logical. In no way does it mean anyone is claiming to know better. Distros who cater specifically to the wishes of users who actually know enough to select their own packages would have a very small number of users.
Old 2nd June 2015, 01:28 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalzone View Post
Workstation version now has a netinstall as well
https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

Same size as Server edition but different label.
But, with the workstation netinstall, are you pretty much "stuck" with Gnome, or can you choose a different desktop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncr View Post
Distros who cater specifically to the wishes of users who actually know enough to select their own packages would have a very small number of users.
You mean very small number of users? Like Arch?
Old 2nd June 2015, 01:57 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Probably. How many out of the Fedora users, choose minimal install and then build from there?

In Fedora, it's still relatively easy to do a minimal install and build from there. I would guess the majority of users don't do that though. (Although in CentOS, minimal is still the default, I think.)

I suppose there are lots of decisions to be made, with limited man power. So some things have to fall by the way.

Linux is still a niche market on the desktop, meaning that even the most popular distributions are a niche's niche. I don't know how popular Arch is as an everyday use distribution. Really, install Fedora minimal and I don't see that much difference between it and Arch. If ya really wanna customize, then use Gentoo or LFS. I really don't see Arch giving you much more control over its build than a Fedora minimal.

I have nothing bad to say about Arch--sure some its younger users go overboard in extolling it, but I envy their energy.
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:29 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
But, with the workstation netinstall, are you pretty much "stuck" with Gnome, or can you choose a different desktop?
You are not stuck with anything. As OP indicated, it is the same as the server net install. You can pick and choose whatever group you want to. So to recap, you have the following choices

* Fedora neinstall (workstation/server)
* Fedora Spins (different desktop environments)
* Fedora Labs (electronics, robotics etc)
* Fedora Products (Workstation, Cloud, Server)

It is going to be really hard to find any other distribution that does so many releases in parallel.
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:48 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Personally, I tend to agree. I don't like the direction things are going, either. I want to make the choices myself, not have someone else dictate what I get installed on my machine.

But, as flyingdutchman above says... Install a server version, and you do get somewhat of a larger choice in what you install.
Hi DB.

The network installation version is common to workspace, cloud and server.

What I do for my needs is select workspace, but I do not select any software. By default, a few packages get installed anyway.

After a reboot, I run a script that I use to install the package groups of interest to me.

Why do I do it that way?

If I chose my packages within anaconda, I have to wait for anaconda to finish, and what if anaconda crashed just before the completion of the installation. Hours wasted.

So I do very little in anaconda, and I do the package selection and installation post boot. And while the package installs are taking place, I can in foreground, use the system. And I can cancel dnf and restart it later, if I so choose.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 2nd June 2015, 06:33 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Hi DB.

The network installation version is common to workspace, cloud and server.

What I do for my needs is select workspace, but I do not select any software. By default, a few packages get installed anyway.

After a reboot, I run a script that I use to install the package groups of interest to me.

You might be better off learning to use kickstart. You get a system tailored exactly the way you want as soon as it is installed for the most part.
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:47 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Ok.. So the netinstall for workstation ans server are the same image?

I guess I was just confused by the "workstation" part. Since Fedora split up into several "products", workstation has meant Gnome.