Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:50 PM
nrdpxl Offline

macossafari
Unhappy Fedora 26, FakeRAID, unrecognised m.2 SSD

I’m trying to install fedora workstation on 2xm.2 in raid0 made with intel RST and i’m running into issues.

First one is that after creating installation usb and loading system it halts.
Another option (bit better) was to create bootable usb from fedora image, boot UEFI, and it loads the system, but after trying to “install to hdd” setup doesn’t show ssd at all.

I tried to switch off the raid too and had no luck to find ssd.

somewhere found suggestion to use mdadm --assembly --scan but this one
gave nothing too as it didn’t find anything.

All in all i’m not very experienced in linux as i’m coming from osx, but would to switch to linux instead of using windows. Can anyone guide me and share some information what steps are necessary to make this raid0 configuration visible, to be able to write fedora to disk?
Old 3rd October 2017, 01:39 AM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 26, FakeRAID, unrecognised m.2 SSD

Quote:
I’m trying to install fedora workstation on 2xm.2 in raid0 made with intel RST and i’m running into issues.
All in all i’m not very experienced in linux as i’m coming from osx, but would to switch to linux instead of using windows.
What you are attempting is a challenging install even for experienced Linux users. It isn't something a beginner should try for their first install.

First a clarification is needed. Are these M.2 form factor PCIe SSDs, possibly with NMVe ? I noticed you don't capitalize anything even references to yourself ( i'm as opposed to I'm ). The proper name is capitalized M.2.

Please provide the model numbers of these SSDs.

If these are NMVe then that could be why the installer doesn't recognize them immediately.

Also if these are NMVe is there a reason you need two of these in parallel ? Is the speed of one not fast enough ? One would be 3-4 times faster than a SATA SSD.

If you have two then do a regular non-RAID Fedora install to one and use the second as a data drive.

Quote:
somewhere found suggestion to use mdadm --assembly --scan but this one
gave nothing too as it didn’t find anything.
This is the command to use if you have already created a mdadm RAID array and want to activate it. As you haven't created anything yet of course it won't find anything.
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:30 AM
nrdpxl Offline

macoschrome
Re: Fedora 26, FakeRAID, unrecognised m.2 SSD

Thank you for advice

These are two Samsung 960 EVO, they are M.2 NVMe.
And yes there is a reason why I'm I'm using them in RAID0 (strip) configuration, I'm working with lot's of video files and need to read and write them to the disk. In this configuration my read and write speed are nearly identical.

Anyway, I think I will buy another one M.2 just for Fedora, As far as I read, there are lot's of people having same issues as me.

Tags
fakeraid , fedora , ssd , unrecognised