Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2017, 10:32 AM
KonTab Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Windows 10 (with BitLocker) + Fedora 26

Hi all,

I'm a primary Windows user, but sometimes in need of using Linux. For now I used Fedora installed on pendrive, but now I'd like to have dual boot solution with Windows.

The thing is, that I'm using BitLocker to encrypt all hard drives. Configuration is as below:

Code:
  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          119 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Online          931 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 2    Online         2794 GB      0 B        *
I'd like to install Fedora on Disk 2 (that would be sdc) which has following partitions:

Code:
  Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB    17 KB
  Partition 2    Primary           2794 GB   129 MB
But that disk is also encrypted.

To test all things I've set up a virtual machine (sda - windows drive, sdb - second drive).

But when trying to install Fedora to sdb using automatic partitioning with 20 GB free) I'm getting error (see screen):
Code:
sdb may not have enough space for grub2 to embed core.img when using ext4 file system on partition
If I don't install bootloader (but create /boot partition), Fedora will install and Windows will boot normally. However, after adding boot entry to windows boot manager pointing to /boot a grub command line will start but will not boot Fedora.

Is there a way to install Fedora with boot loader or to add Fedora to grub after installation without boot loader?

I do not want to overwrite Windows boot loader (grub -> windows_boot_loader) but rather have something like this: windows_boot_loader -> grub -> fedora
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autopart_error.jpg (59.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg bootloader.jpg (61.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg manual_partitioning.jpg (65.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 21st July 2017, 09:40 PM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Windows 10 (with BitLocker) + Fedora 26

Code:
sdb may not have enough space for grub2 to embed core.img when using ext4 file system on partition
You didn't specify the type of partitioning you are using, GPT or MBR. If it is GPT then you need to create a 1 MiB BIOS Boot Partition ideally just before the Linux /boot partition. This is where grub2 places its core.img instead of trying to place it in the PBR gap which is only 1K for ext4 filesystems. The BIOS Boot Partition has a specific partition code that can be set with GParted from a menu (bios_grub flag). It is also a good idea to give this partition a GPT text label of "BIOS Boot Partition" so you know what it is in the future.

However I am surprised that Anaconda is not creating this BIOS Boot Partition automatically as it usually does for BIOS/GPT installs. When I installed Fedora 13 and 16 on a GPT SSD Anaconda created these 1 MiB partitions automatically. This was when I didn't know what these were yet. Perhaps the virtual machine environment is different.

Last edited by amiga; 21st July 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:22 PM
KonTab Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I just ended with installing Fedora on second disk. The only disadvantage is thet I need to manually change boot device at UEFI. But main benefit is that everything just works
(and that is not a big deal, really)
Old 13th October 2017, 01:28 AM
Blaimi Offline

linuxfedoraepiphany

you can start the windows-efi-loader from grub.

Code:
menuentry "Windows 10" {
	insmod chain
	insmod search_fs_uuid
	search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 30D7-53AA
	chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
you can find the uuid of the EFI-Partition on the Windows-Disk with blkid
Old 16th October 2017, 10:17 PM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I just ended with installing Fedora on second disk. The only disadvantage is that I need to manually change boot device at UEFI. But main benefit is that everything just works.
You haven't mentioned this explicitly but are you using Legacy CSM mode to boot Fedora ? You would only have the problem you are having "sdb may not have enough space for grub2 to embed core.img when using ext4 file system on partition" if you are using BIOS type booting.

Quote:
You can start the windows-efi-loader from grub.
I'm not sure this will work it the UEFI is set to CSM mode to boot Fedora.
Old 16th October 2017, 11:10 PM
Blaimi Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
You haven't mentioned this explicitly but are you using Legacy CSM mode to boot Fedora ? You would only have the problem you are having "sdb may not have enough space for grub2 to embed core.img when using ext4 file system on partition" if you are using BIOS type booting.

I'm not sure this will work it the UEFI is set to CSM mode to boot Fedora.
I have two SSDs with their own EFI-Partition each. One with debian+grub and one with Windows. The debian+grub one is my primary boot-device and can load the windows-loader from the other SSD. This will of course not work with CSM and probably not with secure-boot.

(The reason for this is that Windows was installed first an I can't use its EFI-Partition because of a RAID which is not detected correctly by debian (fedora probably would ))
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
amiga Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I have two SSDs with their own EFI-Partition each. One with debian+grub and one with Windows. The debian+grub one is my primary boot-device and can load the windows-loader from the other SSD. This will of course not work with CSM and probably not with secure-boot.
Good explanation however you are not the OP of this thread, KonTab is. The problem he is having with embedding core.img in a partition only occurs with MBR type BIOS/CSM booting with MBR partitioning. With GPT partitioning and CSM booting there would be no problem.

Therefore if he installed Fedora on a second disk in CSM mode then your grub stanza to boot Windows in EFI would not work for him as his MB UEFI firmware would be set to CSM.

Tags
bitlocker , fedora , windows