Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th April 2013, 01:24 PM
tech291083 Offline

windows_7ie
Yahoo Groups dedicated to Linux

Dear Friends,

I have joined a couple of Yahoo Groups that focus on Linux related stuff and regretted doing so for the fact that they hardly post topics on Linux for members to discuss and often send utterly disgusting and dirty e-mails to my inbox. I got fooled by their names as they had the word Linux in their names. I requested a few friends of mine to join these groups and soon they also realized that it was not about Linux at all. I was ashamed. Can you please suggest me some really good and genuine Linux focused Yahoo Groups that I can join to learn things about Linux and also invite my friends as well?

It is a matter of great shame that some people with dirty intentions just misuse some well-known words such as Linux, Unix, programming etc. to their advantage.

Thanks.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 8th April 2013, 01:34 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Yahoo Groups dedicated to Linux

Why "yahoo groups" when you have so many forums that deal with linux? Every distro has it's own and there are general Forums such as: http://www.linuxforums.org/
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 8th April 2013, 02:41 PM
tech291083 Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Why "yahoo groups" when you have so many forums that deal with linux? Every distro has it's own and there are general Forums such as: http://www.linuxforums.org/
Yes, agreed. I always rely more on forums like this one, but some of my friends encouraged me to join Yahoo Groups as I have never done so, thanks. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best forum that I happen to be associated with as a member. Thanks a lot all the members.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo
Old 8th April 2013, 02:50 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

linux@, linux_newbies@ are both legit. However, these days, such mailing lists are not at all active. The linux@ almost died completely, but one fellow posts a variety of interesting things and from time to time, others answer.

(There's also a redhat@ but that one is pretty dead too.)