Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th July 2008, 10:33 PM
Goldfish Offline

My Hurtles to Full-time Linux Adoption

I am planning on doing a clean install of Fedora 9 after the 29th (if KDE 4.1 sticks to that release date). I run a dual boot system, but have almost completely stopped booting into linux lately for a few very inadequate reasons. Problems that I have been unable to work out on my own. I'll try and keep the descriptions brief as there are quite a few, so follow-up questions are fine if I donít explain myself proper. Note: All other things being equal, I prefer the KDE-based option

I. Quicktime (playing in web browser)

II. Divx (the website embedded players)

III. I love the Task Manager in Windows. An easy way to see all of the processes running, sort them by their system usage, and close them, all with the click of one button. All in one friendly place. I have tried out a few ways of managing open applications and processes in linux, but I know Iím missing out on some of them. I have nothing against the command line; I find it endlessly useful when dealing with large quantities of information, but not for something as dynamic as this. What is a good alternative to the Task Manager?

IV. Being able to control the audio of applications individually. I had problems with PulseAudio last time under KDE with programs like Pidgin. Some advice on ways to prevent trouble here during the install/configure would be nice.

V. I am constantly connected to a server that I store files on/etc.. I connect to it via ssh and sftp. I can't find anything with the same ease of use as WinSCP, with putty integrated. Gftp + Plink arenít a very good substitute for WinSCP + Putty. Any ideas?

VI. What are some good apps for managing harddrive space and seeing what I got left, and where its being used (as always KDE variant preferred).

VII. Any ideas on how to map the windows key on my keyboard to pop up the "start menu" in KDE 4.1?

VIII. Any suggestions for the easiest way of managing installed fonts?

I know itís quite the grocery list; any help in whittling it down is appreciated.
Old 26th July 2008, 03:57 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

Welcome to the forum Goldfish. To be honest, Fedora might not be the best distro to install as it is a development branch of Redhat. That being said, things will break as updates are applied so do your research. From your post it looks like you're intent on working with KDE, fedora leans toward the Gnome DE but supports KDE also. There is no sure fire distro, checkout Ubuntu, CentOs, Redhat or one of the many other distros, google works wonders.

Last edited by Iron_Mike; 26th July 2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 26th July 2008, 05:41 AM
leadgolem Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish
III. I love the Task Manager in Windows. An easy way to see all of the processes running, sort them by their system usage, and close them, all with the click of one button. All in one friendly place. I have tried out a few ways of managing open applications and processes in linux, but I know Iím missing out on some of them. I have nothing against the command line; I find it endlessly useful when dealing with large quantities of information, but not for something as dynamic as this. What is a good alternative to the Task Manager?
Not a kde user, but in gnome I use system monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish
VI. What are some good apps for managing harddrive space and seeing what I got left, and where its being used (as always KDE variant preferred)
I use disk usage analyzer. You need root privileges for it to work right though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-System Monitor.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	16803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-Disk Usage Analyzer.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	16804  

Last edited by leadgolem; 26th July 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 26th July 2008, 07:49 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadgolem
Not a kde user, but in gnome I use system monitor.
Yes, I also thought it was funny that 5 out of 8 complaints can be solved just by using Gnome....
Old 26th July 2008, 06:24 PM
marcrblevins Offline

Quote:
I use KDE, try Control + Esc
Old 26th July 2008, 06:26 PM
marcrblevins Offline

Quote:
I use disk usage analyzer.
Leadgolem,
Which rpm is that? I yum searched, can't find it.

I remember back in Fedora 7, I tried baobob, no longer listed either.

Last edited by marcrblevins; 26th July 2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: baobob
Old 26th July 2008, 10:10 PM
prkos Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrblevins
Leadgolem,
Which rpm is that? I yum searched, can't find it.

I remember back in Fedora 7, I tried baobob, no longer listed either.
I also can't find it in yum, I dont know why, I do have it on my system. Try installing from here http://www.marzocca.net/linux/baobab.html

Edit: found it - its within gnome-utils

Code:
yum install gnome-utils
You can use Filezilla as an sftp client. What exactly from WinSCP are you missing in other clients?

Last edited by prkos; 26th July 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Tags
adoption , fulltime , hurtles , linux