Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:17 PM
donatom Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Custom Fedora 26 iso has no wifi drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga
To check this you need to check the release string. For Fedora it should be /etc/redhat-release
I eliminated the LIVE label and used UUID for root. But still the driver is not being loaded. That was an excellent deduction on your part. Unfortunately that apparently was not the problem

I ran "cat /et/redhat-release" which indicated that I had booted my iso (generic fedora26).

By the way, here is my entire grub.cfg (Fedora-Custom is the messiest -- with many lines commented out):

Code:
insmod search_fs_uuid
search --no-floppy --set=isopart --fs-uuid 03a95642-a33a-48b7-91f1-51e9dec33b2d 

menuentry "Fedora 26 Custom PERSISTENT" --unrestricted --class fedora {
        set root2=(hd0,msdos1)
        set root2=$root2
        probe -l $root2 --set=root2vol
        probe -u $root2 --set=root2uuid
        echo "Persistent file should be $root2/LiveOS/overlay-$root2vol-$root2uuid"
        echo "Persistent file Volume name should be LIVE"
        if [ ! -e $root2/LiveOS/overlay-$root2vol-$root2uuid ] ; then echo ERROR: $root2/LiveOS/overlay-$root2vol-$root2uuid not found! ; echo Press ENTER to continue ; read ; fi
        loopback loopo $root2/LiveOS/overlay-$rootvol-$root2uuid
        probe -l (loopo) --set=loopol
        if [ ! $loopol = "LIVE" ]; then echo "ERROR: $root2/LiveOS/overlay-$root2vol-$root2uuid has volume label of $loopol, not LIVE" ; read ; fi
        set gfxpayload=1024x768,800x600
        linux /LiveOS/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=live:UUID=$root2uuid  rd.live.overlay=UUID=$root2uuid overlay=UUID=$root2uuid live_dir=/LiveOS rootfstype=auto  rw  rd.live.image quiet nosplash  rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 nomodeset
        initrd /LiveOS/initrd.img
        boot
        }
menuentry "Fedora-Custom26+"  {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 03a95642-a33a-48b7-91f1-51e9dec33b2d
set isofile="/Fedora-Custom/Fedora-Custom.iso"
loopback loop $isofile
set root=loop
linux /isolinux/vmlinuz root=live:LABEL=LIVE iso-scan/filename=$isofile rd.live.image quiet
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img
}

menuentry "Fedora-Server-Netinstall"  {
set isofile="/Fedora-Netinstall/Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-26-1.5.iso" 
loopback loop $isofile
linux (loop)/isolinux/vmlinuz ks=file:/ks.cfg inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Fedora-S-dvd-x86_64-26 quiet ks=boot  
initrd (loop)/isolinux/initrd.img
}

menuentry 'archlinux-2017.09.01-x86_64.iso' {
        # path to the partition holding ISO images (using UUID)
        set imgdevpath=/dev/disk/by-uuid/03a95642-a33a-48b7-91f1-51e9dec33b2d
        set isofile=/boot/archlinux-2017.09.01-x86_64.iso
        loopback loop ($isopart)$isofile
        linux (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisodevice=/dev/loop0 img_dev=$imgdevpath img_loop=$isofile earlymodules=loop
        initrd (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
}
I am going to delete the Fedora Server Netinstall iso to see if that has any effect on the drivers. It’s just a shot in the dark.

Last edited by donatom; 3rd October 2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 4th October 2017, 02:25 AM
amiga Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I eliminated the LIVE label and used UUID for root. But still the driver is not being loaded. That was an excellent deduction on your part. Unfortunately that apparently was not the problem
Yes but apparently the booted iso still has the wrong file system, one different from the one in the actual iso file. As you posted the iso file has a kernel and modules directory of 4.12.14-300.fc26.x86_64. When you boot it the wrong file system is loaded. Even if I was wrong about the cause of the problem the problem is still that the booted iso has the wrong file system.

Quote:
I ran "cat /etc/redhat-release" which indicated that I had booted my iso (generic fedora26).
You have two Fedora grub entries. Are they the same Fedora and kernel version ? When you run "cat /etc/redhat-release" do they both output the exact same string ?

Quote:
By the way, here is my entire grub.cfg (Fedora-Custom is the messiest -- with many lines commented out):
You have added a very complex entry with overlays which you haven't posted before and are using UUIDs in that.

The menu entry for Fedora-Custom26+ is unchanged from your first post. You haven't changed root to use UUIDs in Fedora-Custom26+. Is this is your old grub.cfg or are you now using the much more complex Fedora 26 Custom PERSISTENT entry instead ? The use of overlays in this entry complicates matters.

You should change root to use UUIDs in the much simpler Fedora-Custom26+ entry without overlays. This is what I was recommending in my earlier post.

Could you make this change and post the new grub.cfg ?
Old 4th October 2017, 04:36 AM
donatom Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
You have two Fedora grub entries. Are they the same Fedora and kernel version ? When you run "cat /etc/redhat-release" do they both output the exact same string ?
Right now I have only one custom iso -- or rather I have extracted LiveOS/ and isolinux/ and placed them in a directory (Fedora-Custom). I also had Fedora Server 26 Netinstall (the whole iso), but I have deleted that, so the Fedora-Custom contains the only "iso". I am not interested in the persistent Fedora; it was just something I was playing around with. And the Netinstall I used to do an automated install onto a hard drive.

I left out the menuentry that I am currently using; here it is (with UUID change, and without other unused -- commented out -- lines):

Code:
 menuentry "Fedora-Custom" {      
  linux /Fedora-Custom/isolinux/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=UUID=03a95642-a33a-48b7-91f1-51e9dec33b2d rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 nomodeset rd.live.image quiet
  initrd /Fedora-Custom/isolinux/initrd.img 
}
It boots up without problem but the modules for the kernel are not loaded and so the wifi does not work. As I said earlier, I use the same extracted iso for mbr usb drives, for efi drives and for hybrid drives and all drives have identical or nearly identical menuentries. While no drivers are loaded when the mbr drive boots, the other types of drives seem to function perfectly (wifi drivers are loaded and wifi works).
Old 4th October 2017, 06:31 AM
amiga Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
I left out the menuentry that I am currently using; here it is (with UUID change, and without other unused -- commented out -- lines):
Code:
  linux /Fedora-Custom/isolinux/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=UUID=03a95642-a33a-48b7-91f1-51e9dec33b2d rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 nomodeset rd.live.image quiet
}
This menu entry is dramatically different than the one for Fedora-Custom26+ which used loopback devices. It is very easy to see what is going wrong here as you are using the wrong UUID and thus loading the wrong root file system.

Code:
set isofile="/Fedora-Custom/Fedora-Custom.iso"
loopback loop $isofile
The UUID in your new menu entry is identical to that of the partition which contains "/Fedora-Custom/Fedora-Custom.iso". This is very wrong. Looking back again at the menu entry for "Fedora 26 Custom PERSISTENT" I see you were making the same error.

I was talking about using the UUID of the iso filesystem when performing loopback. I showed how you could get this in post #15. You are apparently using the same UUID as the partition which contains the iso file which I assume is the / root directory of your parent Fedora installation with a kernel of 4.11. The parent installation is the Fedora installation you are using trying to do all of this.

What you did above is extract the kernel and initrd from the custom Fedora iso which are 4.12 but you aren't using the rest of the 4.12 file system in the iso. You haven't mentioned what your base Fedora installation is but I assume the kernel is 4.11. You are essentially trying to boot a different kernel and initrd while using the same file system as your parent Fedora installation. This doesn't make sense and is very wrong. As the kernel version 4.12 and the modules directory of 4.11 don't match no kernel modules will work.

Everything is clear now and the mystery is solved.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the iso file itself which is why when you wrote it with dd to a usb flash drive it worked fine.

What you are doing in menuentry "Fedora-Custom" can't be done and doesn't make any sense.

If you want to boot this iso in loopback mode you need to refer to the file system on the iso itself by referring to its own UUID as I showed you in post #15.
Old 4th October 2017, 07:59 AM
donatom Online

linuxfirefox

I posted this menuentry at the very beginning of the thread:

Quote:
Here is another menuentry (I only use "LiveOS, isolinux, initrd.img and vmlinux" that I extracted from the iso):

Code:

#set isoname="Fedora-Custom.iso"
#set isofile="(hd0,msdos1)/Fedora-Custom/Fedora-Custom.iso"
#echo "Using ${isoname} . . . "
#loopback loop $isofile
#linux (loop)/isolinux/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=live:LABEL=LIVE iso-scan/filename=$isofile rd.live.image quiet
#initrd (loop)/isolinux/initrd.img
linux /Fedora-Custom/isolinux/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img root=live:LABEL=LIVE rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 nomodeset rd.live.image quiet
}
If you look at it carefully you will notice it is the same (except it uses LABEL instead of UUID). It works fine and I have been using very similar menuentries for the various iterations of Fedora for years.
Old 4th October 2017, 08:22 AM
amiga Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
If you look at it carefully you will notice it is the same (except it uses LABEL instead of UUID). It works fine and I have been using very similar menu entries for the various iterations of Fedora for years.
In the very first post you said that this menu entry was also missing wifi drivers on mbr systems.

Quote:
Here is another menuentry (I only use "LiveOS, isolinux, initrd.img and vmlinux" that I extracted from the iso):
Both methods are able to boot the iso successfully (mbr system missing wifi drivers, etc.)
The label in that example is that of the iso filesystem. In post 18 you were using the wrong UUID, that of the parent partition instead of the correct UUID of the iso filesystem which was causing the problem as the wrong root filesystem was being mounted.

What was going wrong in post #18 can easily be explained. The same effect was happening with other menu entries.

What may have worked in the past and what was causing the problems in this thread are two different things. If root=live:LABEL=LIVE is somehow defined and mounted correctly then it might work. However it wasn't working or you wouldn't have posted this thread.

I can't explain why this may have worked in the past. I can only describe what has been happening throughout this thread with the wrong root filesystem being mounted.

Last edited by amiga; 4th October 2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 4th October 2017, 05:13 PM
donatom Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Even if I mount the iso with loopback, modules are not being correctly loaded.

Here is my menuentry which boots but which boots without drivers:

Code:
set isoname="Fedora-Custom.iso"
set isolabel="LIVE"
loopback loop (hd0,1)/Fedora-Custom.iso
set root=loop
linux /isolinux/vmlinuz root=live:LABEL=$isolabel iso-scan/filename=Fedora-Custom.iso rd.live.image quiet
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img
}
The menuentry contains a label instead of UUID, but that does not seem to matter -- at least for me. Either way in mbr boot I get no modules.

I guess this will remain a mystery and I will just use hybrid or efi live usbs which always mount correctly.

Thanks for your help.
Old 4th October 2017, 08:31 PM
amiga Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
The menuentry contains a label instead of UUID, but that does not seem to matter -- at least for me. Either way in mbr boot I get no modules.
You are still using the same stupid "LIVE" label you used before which didn't work and hasn't worked at all this thread. Also the UUID you were using before was completely wrong. Instead of finding the correct UUID you went back to a label which didn't work in post #1.

I showed you in post #15 how to find the actual internal label of the iso filesystem and its actual UUID. The actual internal label should have "Fedora" and "26" in it.

Code:
$ sudo mount -o loop Fedora-Live-Cinnamon-x86_64-23-10.iso /mnt/iso
mount: /dev/loop0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
$ sudo blkid /dev/loop0
/dev/loop0: UUID="2015-10-29-21-40-09-00" LABEL="Fedora-Live-Cinnamon-x86_64-23-1" TYPE="iso9660" PTTYPE="dos"
Please mount your custom iso file as -o loop and use blkid to find all of its attributes as I have done. Please post the results.

It is the LABEL and UUID from blkid /dev/loop0 that you need to use.

I told you how to find this actual iso UUID and LABEL from blkid /dev/loop0 and you ignored that advice and used a completely wrong UUID, that of your existing installation which is causing all of your problems. When I explained that this was wrong instead of following my directions to find the proper iso UUID you went back to what you did in post #1 which didn't work of course. Why do you post on forums if you ignore all advice and repeat what hasn't worked for you before ?

Quote:
Even if I mount the iso with loopback, modules are not being correctly loaded.
This is because the wrong root file system is being loaded. Please stop talking about modules and drivers. This is the symptom and not the cause. I explained what is happening many times. The root filesystem is that of your parent Fedora installation. The Fedora custom iso is not being booted at all. Your are essentially running your existing Fedora installation with a different kernel. You aren't booting the custom iso at all as you aren't using its file system.

Quote:
Here is my menuentry which boots but which boots without drivers
The entire iso filesystem is missing not just the drivers so therefore the iso is not really booting.

Quote:
I guess this will remain a mystery
There is no mystery as to what is going wrong. None at all.
Old 5th October 2017, 12:15 AM
donatom Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
It is the LABEL and UUID from blkid /dev/loop0 that you need to use.
amiga, I somehow glossed over your comment #15. I just went back and saw that you were talking about the uuid/label of the iso not of the partition. I mounted the custom iso and looked at the uuid and label of the iso, plugged the label into the menuentry and voila, wifi and modules are back.

You have solved my problem. Thank you very much for your persistence and hard work. I have been using the wrong uuid and label for years -- and yet the isos booted and functioned pretty well. I guess grub can be idiot-proof.

I will mark this as being solved straight away.

Thanks again.

Last edited by donatom; 5th October 2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: correcting quote tab

Tags
custom , drivers , fedora , iso , wifi