Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2017, 03:27 AM
underOATH777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Stuck at installing boot loader

Complete newb to Linux. Already have win 10, tried the instructions in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QzbX8o7pSY but it gets stuck and my caps button keeps blinking!

It's worthy of note that I had similar issues with previous Ubuntu installation, getting stuck at installing grub package!

I have this laptop here which comes with windows 10.

http://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merc...pt=ABL&sel=NTB
Old 10th October 2017, 04:57 AM
donatom Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Stuck at installing boot loader

Here is a good website for efi boot install:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...th-windows-10/

Do NOT create another efi boot partition. Fedora should install efi-boot to the same windows efi boot partition that is on your laptop.

Make sure you start up fedora live in eif-boot mode.
Old 10th October 2017, 05:04 AM
underOATH777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Thanks for the reply. For someone with my current Linux knowledge, the website you linked looks too scary. I think I have a lot to learn about Linux having been a long time windows user.

But for the time being, if you give me detailed instructions on how to do what you suggested, I assume you saw the video so you know what I did, just tell me at which step "in the video" should I do what differently, I would really appreciate that.

Thanks a ton.
Old 10th October 2017, 05:54 AM
donatom Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My suggestion is -- especially since you are fairly new to fedora/red hat -- to not install fedora manually. Leave it on "automatic partitioning" (in other words, don't select "manual partitioning"). There is no reason to create another efi-partition. Allow Fedora to use /dev/sda2 or windows efi-partion for efi-grub. Fedora will create a swap partition and will install /root and other directories, including /home, on one partition and will use up the entire free space.

The most important thing to do is to make sure your bios is set to efi-boot mode so that the installer will start up in efi mode as well. This way it will install fedora efi-boot inside of the windows efi-boot partition.

After Fedora "creates" required partitions, you will be able to see how it is being set up. If you don't like the set-up just quit anaconda (the installation program) and nothing will be installed and no swap, etc. will be created.

I hope you have made more than 15 gigs available for the install. I would say 30 - 40 gigs is the bare minimum for a successful install. You should probably have double this space (80 gigs) since your fedora partition would soon fill up otherwise.

The video shows the user freeing up only 15 gigs in windows for the install. That will not work well at all.

Last edited by donatom; 10th October 2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: correcting grammatical errors
Old 10th October 2017, 04:39 PM
Tquilha Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

@ underOATH777: First thing: when you boot using the live distro, does everything work under Fedora?
Some laptops are kind of Windows-centric and will throw a bit of a tantrum if you try installing Linux in them. Boot any live distro, and try everything for a couple of hours, days, whatever you need.
If everything works OK in live mode, you should be OK to install, just do it like donatom said.
Welcome to the cuckoo's nest.
Old 10th October 2017, 05:37 PM
donatom Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tquilha
If everything works OK in live mode, you should be OK to install
This is an excellent suggestion.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:51 AM
underOATH777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Thanks guys, but with the automatic partitioning, I reach the same fatal end, "installing boat loader" freeze

I actually tried VM unfortunately it's slow. Now I really had it with this laptop. Can anyone rescue me from this situation?
Old 11th October 2017, 04:20 PM
donatom Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by underOATH777
Thanks guys, but with the automatic partitioning, I reach the same fatal end, "installing boat loader" freeze
Strange since Linux generally works fine on HP machines.

Did you check the checksums of the live iso (compare output of "sha256sum /path/to/live/iso" to the checksum given by fedora for that iso)?

How much space have you freed up for the install? I would use a standard install, not LVM, especially if you are somewhat inexperienced (I don't know that you are trying to install using LVM, but generally anaconda defaults to an LVM install so you would need to change it to standard install)

Also have you tried to run the live iso on your laptop as Tquilha suggested to see how Fedora works without installing?

What live iso are you using for your install? I would download a live iso for fedora26-workstation (I generally use an xfce4 spin), check the checksum, burn it to a usb thumb drive with dd and then try the install again. It is possible that your live iso is corrupted.

Last edited by donatom; 11th October 2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 11th October 2017, 04:58 PM
donatom Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

It is possible that your efi-boot partition is corrupted (this happened to me when I updated fedora on a dual-boot Windows 10/Fedora laptop. I kept reinstalling efi-boot to no avail. What finally solved it was to start up on a live iso and run:
Code:
fsck.vfat -a /dev/sda2
Change /dev/sda2 if necessary (wherever your efi-boot partition is)

This might work. In any case it will take but a few minutes.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:18 PM
underOATH777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatom View Post
Strange since Linux generally works fine on HP machines.

Did you check the checksums of the live iso (compare output of "sha256sum /path/to/live/iso" to the checksum given by fedora for that iso)?

How much space have you freed up for the install? I would use a standard install, not LVM, especially if you are somewhat inexperienced (I don't know that you are trying to install using LVM, but generally anaconda defaults to an LVM install so you would need to change it to standard install)

Also have you tried to run the live iso on your laptop as Tquilha suggested to see how Fedora works without installing?

What live iso are you using for your install? I would download a live iso for fedora26-workstation (I generally use an xfce4 spin), check the checksum, burn it to a usb thumb drive with dd and then try the install again. It is possible that your live iso is corrupted.
I downloaded CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1708.iso and burnt to a usb using Rufus. I'm not sure if the ISO is corrupt, will have to figure how to verify checksums on windows, but given how I keep getting this same error in Ubuntu, Linuxmint, Centos, it probavbly has to do with my current system. Unfortunately, Centos live isn't offered when I boot fro mthe USB, I tried Ubuntu live before , it ran fine.

I'm very open to suggestions, instructions on new downloads, methods to burn to usb and installation options. Just be somewhat detailed and avoid terms that are too technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman47 View Post
FWIW - I've had bootloader installs take several minutes on a number of occasions - leading me to believe it was hung when it, in fact, wasn't. When it happened to me, I walked away for 5 minutes so it didn't drive me crazy.

- perhaps not in your case, but maybe -
Unlikely, I had the same exact issue with Ubuntu before, I waited for like five hours. It just freezes, see this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/d...grub2.1196616/
Old 11th October 2017, 04:43 PM
lightman47 Online

linuxfirefox

FWIW - I've had bootloader installs take several minutes on a number of occasions - leading me to believe it was hung when it, in fact, wasn't. When it happened to me, I walked away for 5 minutes so it didn't drive me crazy.

- perhaps not in your case, but maybe -
Old 12th October 2017, 09:38 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi Underoath777

I don't mind getting together with you to work on your installation problem. Until the weekend coming, I am out of the province. I will be back in Montreal Click on my name to write me a private message about phone number or other

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 12th October 2017, 10:07 PM
donatom Offline

linuxfirefox

You could use a live iso (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc -- I prefer Fedora) to run the fsck.vfat on your efi partition. Do that and then try to install CentOS. If it still doesn't install, then I would recommend burning an install iso onto a dvd and then retry the install. You wouldn't be able to download and then burn an iso using a live system.
Old 14th October 2017, 03:48 AM
amiga Online

linuxfirefox

A major error has been made below:

Quote:
Correction for the command to fix file system corruption on the efi-boot partition:

sudo mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sda2
The command mkfs will of course reformat the partition erasing the Windows bootloader! Do not follow these instructions!

In post #10 donatom recommended the fsck command to fix file system corruption.

Code:
fsck.vfat -a /dev/sda2
Quote:
I neglected to add -F32 which is, of course, referring to FAT 32 filesystems.
You also changed fsck file system check to mkfs which will reformat and erase all data on /dev/sda2.

The fsck utility doesn't require specifying F32 as the FAT-size as it will determine this itself.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
underOATH777 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
A major error has been made below:

The command mkfs will of course reformat the partition erasing the Windows bootloader! Do not follow these instructions!

In post #10 donatom recommended the fsck command to fix file system corruption.

Code:
fsck.vfat -a /dev/sda2

You also changed fsck file system check to mkfs which will reformat and erase all data on /dev/sda2.

The fsck utility doesn't require specifying F32 as the FAT-size as it will determine this itself.
Thank you. Can you please type the right commands that won't format / erase my disk?

Tags
boot , installing , loader , stuck