Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th June 2015, 03:02 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: distorted graphics

I was having this problem on a laptop. I filed a bugzilla report.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1226743

The feedback I got on that is that it was a change in the kernel that caused this to manifest. The solution seems to be (quoting comment 7) "disable WC mmaps until userspace issues are sorted out."

I did not see this thread first or I would have tried the solution posted here. The kernel fix also works, but not quite perfectly. I have seen some graphics in Firefox distort, but they corrected on refresh.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 13th June 2015, 04:53 AM
4NewHop3 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000mozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitbhardwaj View Post
@Ankit360: Your log shows you are logged in using "liveuser" account. Are you running the system in from live dvd? Have you not been able to install it?

Anway, if anybody is having this problem on an installed system, please try out below steps :

Create a new file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with below text:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "card0"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
Reboot and see if it resolves your issue. I am not sure whether this can be done on a live dvd. But you can try coz if the live dvd is running from a pen drive, there is some storage space available on it.
On the parts with the quotations, do we put the device, card, and all of the other stuff from our PC/Laptop?

Like say, for example, I have a Lenovo G550. Where it says
Code:
Section "Device"
Do I put v
Code:
Section "Lenovo G550"
?
Old 13th June 2015, 05:59 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

No, you put it in exactly the way it is shown.

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "card0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection
Easiest way is to create the file in your favorite text editor, and just do a copy/paste then save it. Don't change anything, The file contents should be exactly as shown.
Old 20th June 2015, 12:30 PM
Geoffnewzealand Offline

linuxopera

Hey I'm back wondering if you can talk me through the kernal update (4.05) and removing the file I created to permanently fix this issue?

On Fedora mag it says update and then install the new kernal but is vague about removing the original workaround file - when to do this (ie before or after kernal update) and how to do this exactly.

That'll have to be two beers then.

Geoff.
Old 3rd July 2015, 05:21 AM
ankit360 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

i removed 20-intel.conf file today and system is working fine . finally issue is fixed .
Old 13th October 2015, 07:17 PM
arjunmayilvagan Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile Re: distorted graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitbhardwaj View Post
@Ankit360: Your log shows you are logged in using "liveuser" account. Are you running the system in from live dvd? Have you not been able to install it?

Anway, if anybody is having this problem on an installed system, please try out below steps :

Create a new file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with below text:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "card0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection
Reboot and see if it resolves your issue. I am not sure whether this can be done on a live dvd. But you can try coz if the live dvd is running from a pen drive, there is some storage space available on it.
Thank you so much Bhardwaj. Signed up just to thank you. You've saved me and several others a lot of time and helped avoid frustrations.

If you could, please elaborate what has changed by adding this file and configuration.

Last edited by arjunmayilvagan; 13th October 2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:51 PM
sumitbhardwaj Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunmayilvagan View Post
Thank you so much Bhardwaj. Signed up just to thank you. You've saved me and several others a lot of time and helped avoid frustrations.

If you could, please elaborate what has changed by adding this file and configuration.
Well, glad it worked out for you well. I think with latest kernels, you won't need this fix anyway so try fully updating your system and see if you can work without this fix.

This fix basically asks the intel graphics driver to use the UXA architecture instead of the newer SNA architecture for graphics acceleration. Although SNA is designed to be backward compatible, the combination of certain kernel and intel driver version was causing this issue. Using the older acceleration method was working fine. Both Intel driver team and kernel developers have worked on this and it's been resolved now.
Lenovo Thinkpad X240: Intel Core i7 4600U 4th Gen 2.1-3.2 ghz, 8 GB DDR3 PC-12800 RAM, 1 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Intel HD4400 Graphics, Intel Wireless 7260+Bluetooth, Intel I218-LM Ethernet, Intel HD Audio.
Primary OS: Fedora 25 Workstation x86_64
Secondary OS: Windows 10 Pro x86_64
Old 13th October 2015, 11:41 PM
jimj_wpg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffnewzealand View Post
Hey I'm back wondering if you can talk me through the kernal update (4.05) and removing the file I created to permanently fix this issue?

On Fedora mag it says update and then install the new kernal but is vague about removing the original workaround file - when to do this (ie before or after kernal update) and how to do this exactly.

That'll have to be two beers then.

Geoff.
In a Linux command shell box, type:

su -
(key in your password)

yumex --root

The newest kernels all start with the filename 'kernel', so place a checkbox on everything with 'kernel' in it.

After it's finished updating, yumex will update the list of software updates left. You can continue to update your software or just close down yumex and you'll be put back into the command prompt.
Old 14th October 2015, 02:03 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Indeed, the issue was patched. It would be better to download and use a respun ISO from this resource. They were last updated 10th October 2015.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins/

Tags
display , distorted , fedora22 , graphics