Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st July 2007, 06:09 PM
jdmclemore Offline

Fedora 7 install problem (nVidia SATA raid problem?)

I've done some searching and seen other SATA raid issues, but none seem to match up......here's my story.

I have a Dell 720 (nvidia 680i mobo) that came loaded with Vista on two 160GB drives in a RAID0 set. I installed two additional 750GB drives in a RAID1 set. There's a 50GB partition on that mirrored set that I was dual-booting XP with; the remainder was a big 700GB partition for my Vista "data". I used EasyBCD as a bootloader because Vista was installed FIRST.

Now I want to install Fedora7 (x86_64) on that 50 GB partition instead of XP.

So I boot to the Fedora DVD, select graphical install, everything looks great. I even seeing it loading a "sata_nv" driver - that's a good thing, right? My video cards are detected correctly, X starts up fine. I select my language, my KB type and click "next". This is where the install hangs. Everytime. Going to another virtual console I see that the step was

Moving (1) to step findrootparts

Another console shows this error repeated a few times:

(anaconda:1037):HtmlUtil-CRITICAL **:html_stream_cancel:assertion `stream->cancel_func!=NULL' failed

And if I go to the shell and do an fdisk -l, I see all 4 of my drives have been detected individually (/dev/sd[a-d]). Shouldn't I see the two devices created from hardware RAID instead?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Here are my machine specs:

Dell XPS 720H2C (nVidia 680i mobo)
Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6800 @ 3.73GHz
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @ 1066MHz
Dual 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX SLI
2 x 160GB WD Raptor 10K RAID0
2 x 750GB Seagate 7200 RAID1
Old 21st July 2007, 07:25 PM
SlowJet Offline

"I see all 4 of my drives have been detected individually (/dev/sd[a-d]). Shouldn't I see the two devices created from hardware RAID instead?"

I'm not a raid expert but fdisk wouldn't know or care about the vista's software raid partitions so there would be 2.

On the installer (anaconda) was there a little button near the mid-right that says setup software raid (or something like that) and did you do a custom partitioning theme and use the disk druid (or did you do it someother whay?)

The EasyBCD booter loader - does that do a chain forward to the F7 grub and then you see the kernel (or did you not install grub at all? i.e. Where is your F7 /boot.)

SJ

Last edited by SlowJet; 21st July 2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 21st July 2007, 09:20 PM
Vhulheim Offline

I am currently trying to install F7 on the second partition of my primary RAID0 volume.

My experience is the exact same as yours, and I have the exact same motherboard and an 8800 GTX videocard. The only difference is that when I do a graphical install my main 24" monitor shuts off and my secondary 22" monitor switches on, this does not happen in text mode. Like your situation, my installation hangs just as soon as I choose USEnglish keyboard and click next.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 21st July 2007, 09:48 PM
lazlow Offline

I am not sure but I think you guys are actually dealing with fake raid rather than true hardware raid. If that is true Fedora most likely not be able to see the raid partitions.
Old 21st July 2007, 10:00 PM
Vhulheim Offline

that actually makes sense. i installed an extra hard drive a couple of weeks ago and could never detect it with the device manager or by any other means. one day on a lark i ran some windows vista program called ntune (its an nVidia 680i mobo) and there was a tool there, i forget the name, that found the hard drive and asked me to install it.

after that i was able to access the hd as normal. i thought it was quite strange but now your comment sheds light on that.
Old 21st July 2007, 10:17 PM
lazlow Offline

One of the problems with fake or soft raid is that for the most part only the OS that sets it up can see it. Linux has dmraid (I think that is what it is called) which is another form of soft raid. As I recall windows cannot see dmraid either.
Old 21st July 2007, 11:40 PM
Vhulheim Offline

well, even though the raid volume may be running on soft raid at least the partitions are real. my goal is to dual boot windows vista ult64 on a small 200gb partition and fedora 7 on the remaining 265gb of that raid0 volume and the two subsequent 250gb hard drives. my goal is to use vista as a platform for the two games i play and use F7 for everything else. too bad more games aren't linux compatible, i tire of the limitations and instability of vista. i know that day is approaching.

but i digress...
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:13 AM
lazlow Offline

Vhulheim

I do not think you understand. As far as F7 is concerned the raid0 of the vista install is not real(assuming it is fakeraid).
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:18 AM
jdmclemore Offline

How is what is on the nvidia 680i mobo considered "fake" raid? It's DEFINITELY not software raid - the OS (Vista) has nothing to do with it. There is a controller on the motherboard to configure RAID (it supports 0,1,0+1,5) and it's set up just after BIOS, before OS boots. This, to me, is HARDWARE RAID. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there some gray area between hardware RAID and software (OS) RAID?

EDIT:

Here's a tech brief about nvidia's MediaShield storage tech nology that provides RAID. Not sure if it sheds any kight on the subject, though.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/...technology.pdf

Last edited by jdmclemore; 22nd July 2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 22nd July 2007, 01:24 AM
lazlow Offline

Yes. there is some gray area. There is pure software raid (not what I am talking about on the nvidia chipset), there is pure hardware raid (cards usually start at about $300) and there is fakeraid. Many promise cards (and other brands) and most motherboard chipsets fall into this last category. These fake raid cards do most of the work on the cpu rather than on the card therefore they require proprietary software to run. Linux support for most of these fake raid cards is iffy. This is also why going from OS to OS on the same raid volume is seldom possible (the drivers have to be written in the exact same manner in order to function across OSs and this is rarely possible).

Just search this forum and Google on fake raid for a better explanation.
Old 22nd July 2007, 07:13 AM
leigh123linux

Try this guide ( it's for ubuntu but it should be similar for fedora )

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:44 PM
Vhulheim Offline

oh thats just lovely...

hopefully Fedora 8 addresses this. in either case, one thing i stumbled across while looking over my hardware configuration was that the two hard drives i have in raid0 configuration are not on the same sata channel. when i asked the guy that built my pc he informed me that he usually does this in the hopes that by having the two in a seperate channel their performance will be better. a false conjecture but i didn't bother to argue with him. as a result linux reads the two harddrives as hda and hdc. my goal is to reconfigure the array to be in the same first channel then attempt the Fedora 7 installation. i will post my results on this thread, in the meantime please keep this discussion going with any recommendations any of you see fit.
Old 23rd July 2007, 04:03 PM
lazlow Offline

Vhulheim

Are you talking sata or pata. If pata then putting the drives on separate channels will improve performance as they do not share the same bandwidth.Even if they are on a separate channel they should not read as hda/hdc unless there is another drive on the same controller taking up hdb. If sata they cannot share a channel as that is not the way sata is designed. With the changes to the kernel F7 reads all drives (sata or pata) as sda type(no hda type at all).

Tags
fedora , install , nvidia , problem , raid , sata