Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Suggestions & Feedback Have suggestions, feedback or just plain questions regarding FedoraForum.org? Post them here. (We reserve the right to poke fun at you or just ignore them).

Closed Thread

Old 17th September 2006, 06:32 AM
mlissner Offline

Couple of Forum Suggestions

If I may make a couple of humble suggestions on the forum:
1. Make it so threads can be marked completed or not. Every time one of my quesitons is answered, I like to go see if I can find one to answer....I spend a lot of time reading threads that are already done, and it would be nice to search for unanswered threads.
2. Put the FORUMS on the homepage! It's terribly confusing to have to go to FedoraForums.org, and then to post, you have to first choose to choose a forum, then choose a forum, then you can post...it'd be a lot easier to post if you had a post button on every page, and then you could categorize your question after writing it...
3. Keep the site up! It's the most embarassing thing ever when this site goes down if other people are around. Imagine me, telling people Linux is better, and then when I have a question, the site I visit to ask it (which happens to be running on Linux, I'm sure), is down! AKKK!

Otherwise, love the site, it's saved me as many hours as I've spent browsing it.
Old 17th September 2006, 07:26 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlissner
If I may make a couple of humble suggestions on the forum:
1. Make it so threads can be marked completed or not. Every time one of my quesitons is answered, I like to go see if I can find one to answer....I spend a lot of time reading threads that are already done, and it would be nice to search for unanswered threads.
2. Put the FORUMS on the homepage! It's terribly confusing to have to go to FedoraForums.org, and then to post, you have to first choose to choose a forum, then choose a forum, then you can post...it'd be a lot easier to post if you had a post button on every page, and then you could categorize your question after writing it...
3. Keep the site up! It's the most embarassing thing ever when this site goes down if other people are around. Imagine me, telling people Linux is better, and then when I have a question, the site I visit to ask it (which happens to be running on Linux, I'm sure), is down! AKKK!

Otherwise, love the site, it's saved me as many hours as I've spent browsing it.
1) is a good idea,
2) i think the forums are great the way they are done now
3) IMO whether its linux or windows its gonna go down,

P.S. any chance the forums wil be updated to a newer release? , and the Theme for the forums changed to suite the theme for Fedora Core
Old 17th September 2006, 07:34 AM
paul matthijsse Offline

Quote:
1. Make it so threads can be marked completed or not.
Good idea, plus something like "threads you were active in", to make it easier to track discussions.

Paul.
Old 17th September 2006, 08:16 AM
paul matthijsse Offline

OK, I was still sleeping. Under Quick Links (up, right) there's an option called Subscribed Threads, there you can find all the discussions you were active in or you subscribed to. Coffee helps!

Paul.
Old 17th September 2006, 11:44 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I think the layout of the Home page is appropriate now, with News centered, the Latest Forum topic on the left and a link to the Forums in the bar above. To me, when I've been away for awhile, I like to check out the News before browsing through specifics on topics. But, how do others feel?

As to the 'Solved' tag, I'll make sure that gets passed along right now, but it's up to Ewdi and the Administrators to make the final decisions on such things. Edit: There has been discussion on this already and it was tried previously, but there were problems that caused it to be abandoned. Seems like well-meaning people were tagging 'solved' on threads which were not. Some anger, a few gunfights and a small war or two and the idea was abandoned.

And, about the down time - it's pretty rare, but maintenance and just plain server breakage can happen. I think any site will be susceptible to that from time to time, and we have had a very low frequency of problems in recent months.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Last edited by bob; 17th September 2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 17th September 2006, 02:58 PM
pparks1 Offline

I agree with Bob....this site is rarely down.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 17th September 2006, 07:03 PM
mlissner Offline

The reason I mentioned the bit about forums being on the homepage is because when I come to the forum, it's not for news - it's for forums, and I'd bet that's the case for most other people as well. Check out:
Ones with Forums on the homepage:
http://ubuntuforums.org/
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?
http://forums.debian.net/

Ones with News on the homepage:
http://www.linuxforums.org
http://www.fedoraforum.org

If you check these out, you tell me which ones are more intuitive as a forum, and which you have to stare at for a while to figure out what to do to ask or read questions.

For point two, great. I've got my fingers crossed...

...and for point three, perhaps I've just had bad luck. For me, it's been down twice in a row when I really needed it, and that's quite disappointing...bad experience I guess.
Old 17th September 2006, 09:33 PM
kanha Offline

I agree with mlissner
I am a new user and i was confused about where to go in beggining
neway forum should be forum not another homepage for distro
Old 18th September 2006, 01:02 AM
bob Offline

Yes, and you can add to that
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php
http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/forum/
http://www.pakistanopensource.org/berryforum/
and probably quite a few others

To me, the difference is that these others are links to Forums which are directly tied to the distro's home page, where the news is mentioned. Fedora's different in that respect. FedoraForum.org developed apart from the distro and while it is linked, it retains a separate identity.

However, you are quite correct that there are many more distros using your suggestion than the pattern that FedoraForum has chosen. I thank you for your suggestions and can promise you that I'll pass them on. That is what this Forum is all about and your comments are certainly appropriate. Again, though, Ewdi's the one in charge of how it's run and ultimately his decision to make.

Old 18th September 2006, 04:19 AM
GallComp Offline
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

Quote:
Well we are a community site not just forums...

A solution for the first part of your suggestion: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/ This url will send you to the forums directly.

The second part of your suggestion will cause more troubles than solutions. You will be amazed of the amount of people that just dont know where to put their threads. Requiring the people to be on a certain section before the can create a thread is way easier (for the administration) than to create a thread and then decide where it beolongs...

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 19th September 2006, 02:27 AM
w5set Offline

I'm with GallComp--use a forum bookmark, it's what I do. (if ya run firefox and FCx look under "community support" tab for Fedora Forum)
Easy and quick.
And "solved" is in the eye of the beholder (or poster/questioner).
Some are indeed solved--but the poster NEVER returns to say so, probably better then 50% do that.
Wouldn't it be easier for a 'New Forum User" to get accustomed to what the forum is and how it's setup then make 50K (??) older users (especially the Community Managers! --Bob ain't getting much younger!) fumble for a few days to get the new layout?
Old 19th September 2006, 03:24 AM
bob Offline

Hey there! That was kind of a slam...wasn't it?...I forget...mmmm beer....zzzzzzzz.....

Old 19th September 2006, 03:35 AM
Jman Offline

1. If a vBulletin plugin thing has been written so that the thread starter can flag the thread as answered I'd like to hear about it.
I personally skim mostly for topics with 0 replies.

3. I can count on one hand the times I've ever seen this site down.
Old 19th September 2006, 03:56 AM
w5set Offline

No slam Bob--you just take it well.
But kidding/teasing/slamming aside, your OK...
All the CM's have a thankless (low paying except for GallComp and his perks) job that doesn't need to be much harder.
Old 19th September 2006, 04:19 AM
bob Offline

Yep, we're worth every cent they pay us.... GallComp's worth double since he doesn't use linux- got to pay for that 'other' OS, ya know....

Closed Thread