Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2006, 06:00 AM
schwim Offline

Is there a way to run different configs for yum?

Hi there guys,

This is in reference to yum, or as I think of it, the bane of my existence.

I freaking hate it. Regardless of what I'm trying to install, I have to wade through endless unmatched .xml files, no host, dropped connections, etc. There seems to be at least one repo that is down at all times. It wouldn't be so bad on broadband, but on dialup, it's truly a joke. One night, while I had way too much time on my hands, I added all the .xml files that downloaded before I could run an install. I downloaded more than 8 megs to get a file that was under 100kb. I almost had an hour in that install, due to getting to the end of the mirrors, and having to start over.

So my thoughts.

I'd like to be able to click a link that would run yum with just "core" enabled", or "livna", or "pickyourfavoriterepo". Can this be done? If so, how would I do it? I know I can disable repo's in the .conf file, but as often as I have problems with it, I've gotten quite tired of editing it.

Am I reinventing the wheel? Is there some handy-dandy application that solves all of my problems that I don't know about? Am I going about this the wrong way?

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,
json

performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 9th August 2006, 06:07 AM
rmohanraj Offline

Hi,

Install Yumex. There, in the repos section, you can select or deselect repos as you wish.
Old 9th August 2006, 06:08 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

If you used yumex, you could do exactly that. Enable only one repo at a time, with a click. you can create several profiles. And you can surf the list of files and click only the ones you want. For the most part, it uses yum.conf, but it does have it's own config file so you would want to check and make sure it's going to keep cache (I believe that was one of your criteria in the past since you are on dialup, but I am very sure it uses yum.conf in that respect.
Old 9th August 2006, 01:15 PM
schwim Offline

OK guys, totally cool, and I use Yumex every day, BUT:

Yumex won't let you do anything until it's loaded the repos, so I can't disable the problematic repo until Yumex has downloaded the .xml.gz file from it.

You see the enigma wrapped in a conundrum?

thanks,
json

FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 9th August 2006, 01:24 PM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim
This is in reference to yum, or as I think of it, the bane of my existence.
apt is probably *slightly* better for your circumstances than yum, but you'd need to talk someone into running an apt repository...

Quote:
I freaking hate it.
That's because you've never had to deal with a system without something like yum.

Now personally, I prefer apt, primarily because I think it deals with caching slightly better - but that in itself can lead to confusion, so for a broader spectrum of users, yum is clearly safer, if less effective.

Quote:
I'd like to be able to click a link that would run yum with just "core" enabled", or "livna", or "pickyourfavoriterepo". Can this be done?
Trivial.

yum accepts "--enablerepo" and "--disablerepo" arguments. So all you have to do is write a wrapper (man alias) with the repos you want.

Vic.
Old 9th August 2006, 01:55 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

yumex has an option to disable loading repos on startup. Its called auto-refresh. If you set it to NOT auto refresh, you can select your repos then click the refresh button.
Unfortunately it DOES still refresh again when you're you done doin what you gotta do.. I wish i could disable that. It seems a waste since it's gotta refresh again the next time you use it.
Old 9th August 2006, 02:12 PM
wneumann Offline

To your original question, yes it can be done. You don't have to keep editing your yum.conf file.

You enable a repo that is disabled by running "yum --enablerepo=reponame"
You disable a repo that is enabled by "yum --disablerepo=reponame"
See "man yum" for details.

So if you want to run yum one repo at a time, disable all your repos in their files in yum.repos.d (or in yum.conf if you are doing things there, and then always issue the yum command with the appropriate --enablerepo=... option. If typing that "--enablerepo-..." gets tedious, create shell scripts called yum_core, yum_fedora, etc using the following model

#!/bin/sh
#yum_core
yum --enablerepo=core $*

#!/bin/sh
#yum_fedora
yum --enablerepo=core --enablerepo=fedora $*

You get the idea I hope. Make these scripts executable and put them in /usr/local/bin.
Alternatively, create aliases for these commands. Note that you may want to enable core all the time since it is likely to be needed for dependencies of other packages you download.
Old 10th August 2006, 02:59 AM
schwim Offline

Guys, thanks very much for the replies. I've disabled the repo update in yumex(thanks u-noneinc-s!) and I've begun figuring out the batch scripts, thanks to your post wneumann.

I appreciate the help a lot, and look forward to not having to see as many download failures!

thanks,
json

FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 10th August 2006, 03:06 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Also, if you have the fastestmirrors plugin installed, some people have complained about it causing problems like checksum errors on mirrors. Others say it works fine. Could be coincidence with the checksum errors, could be a real problem. If you haven't tried it, it might be worth a try. If you have it it might be worth disabling it. Some say it helps with dialup.

Tags
configs, run, yum