Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2006, 05:43 PM
dunadan67 Offline

FC5: Problem Slow PGSQL Connection, SSH connection

First time posting here, my apologies for any ambiguities.

I have an installation of Fedora Core 5, 2.6.16.-1.2111_FC5, and I am running an httpd webserver as well as a postgresql database server.

If using the server machine, I use a webbrowser (i.e. Firefox) to connect to any site, such as google.com, it connects very slowly.
If from a different computer, I load a standard html webpage hosted on my server, it loads very quickly.
If I load a webpage that uses php to connect to the pgsql server from a different computer, it loads extremely slowly.
Additionally, if I use ssh to remotely log-in to my server, it is very slow.

If I boot into Windows on the machine (it is set up as dual boot), there is absolutely no slow-down with loading google.com or other websites.

The server is located on the university network which is pretty speedy. It acquires its DNS info, etc., using DHCP as required by the campus computing people.

--

The server is a relatively new Dell desktop, with 1 gig of ram.

--

Let me know what more information you might need if you think you can help me troubleshoot this, thanks!
Old 19th May 2006, 06:05 PM
SHtRO Offline

This sounds like your server is under load. Some things to look at:

uptime
ps -eal

"top" can sort by CPU and memory. Also run a system-monitor from the desktop to look at the various guages in real time (you can see swap vs. shared vs. free RAM for instance). I'm leaning to RAM usage or a similar problem because of your complaint of PHP being slow, but thrashing (excessive memory page swaps) can cause this as well. Though having 1GB sort of calls this into question.

I have this problem with a busy server, since there is a lot of overhead in running a browser.
Old 19th May 2006, 08:51 PM
dunadan67 Offline

I ran the command top.

top - up 8 days, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Tasks: 78 total, 2 running, 76 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie.
Cpu(s): 0.0% us, 0.0% sy, 0.0% ni, 100.0% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
Mem: 1034412k total, 896484k used, 137928k free, 134276 buffers
Swap: 3558356k total, 0k used, 3558256k free, 583828k cached

I noticed that a lot of my memory is being used: ~900000k out of 1034412k

I have 3558356k total swap space, of which 0k is being used.

Why isn't my swap space being used?
Old 19th May 2006, 09:04 PM
SHtRO Offline

Linux optimizes shared memory usage. It is normal to have a lot of memory used with no swap. This is an indication of low load, since it doesn't use any swap space. Typically 0% swap with 90% utilization of RAM is normal except under load. Linux will keep shared libs around for a while once loaded so they don't have to reload (why some apps start restart faster than their first run).

So your problem is neither CPU nor memory at the moment. I would run top on the server console and watch it while you do your other (slow-type) activiteis and see if you notice anything odd from a utilitzation standpoint. If the machine is fast and not under load, and there is nothing odd, then you might checkout your network for collisions or routing local requests via net instead of (localhost) 127.0.0.1 (which uses unix domain sockets instead of TCP/IP, typically, and is much faster).

I suggest looking at the network for efficiency problems because the activities you say impose slowness are (mostly) using network communications.
Old 5th June 2006, 09:42 PM
dunadan67 Offline

Update

I did a clean install of FC5, same problems. I noticed that boot was pretty slow too, as well as running any application, such as firefox, opening a terminal, etc. Also, the fact it ran fine in Windows still bugged me.

So, I unplugged my network cable, and rebooted.

Boot was much much faster. Once booted, application load speed was much faster.

If I plug the ethernet cable in, everything is laggy as before.

Is this a network card problem?

I am running a Dell Optiplex GX260, with an Intel Gigabit Integrated Network Card.

Tags
connection, fc5, pgsql, problem, slow, ssh