Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th August 2017, 10:37 AM
jeb3121 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
transition from 24 64bit WS to 26 64bit WS

Hi all,

My use of a computer(desktop 8~) is basic, i.e., email, online info sources, online purchases. As a result I find myself stumbling in unknowns attempting to follow comments of those who are far beyond my level of expertise.

I have Fedora 24 64 bit WS and I’m looking at 26. I read the Fed install instructions “Install via DNF if you are already on Fedora.” Checking DNF I find it replaces YUM on the command line.

Then: “Fedora Workstation is provided via Fedora Media Writer. Download this program via the download link above and run it on your system, following the prompts to generate a live version of Fedora Workstation on a USB flash drive. You may then run the live version of Fedora Workstation from your USB flash drive.”

BTW, I remember having to run a check on F24 to be sure the dl was error-free. Is that no longer necessary?

Do the above instructions lead to a dl of Fed 26 WS to the home drive at which point I go to command line, specify the location and DNF the live version to my brand new 16GB Kingston flash drive? If so what are the commands? I prefer ignorant to stupid, eh?

Any help w/be gratefully accepted
jeb
Old 13th August 2017, 10:52 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: transition from 24 64bit WS to 26 64bit WS

hi, if you want to do an upgrade rather than a clean install please follow this wiki. hopefully it explains the process clearly enough for you. For step 4, ignore the information about importing the GPG key for rawhide.

If you get stuck or need any further help please post any questions in this thread and someone will happily answer.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:59 PM
jeb3121 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi antikythera,

I took your advice and got all the way to "sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot" where it asked me for the root password.

I haven't needed to use root since I installed 24; the record of the password is gone.

Over time my system has evolved to the use of external hard drives for data. The only integral data I need to save during live OS install is for my email and browser.

So now I'm back to this question. Do the above instructions lead to a dl of Fed 26 WS to the home drive at which point I go to command line, specify the location and DNF the live version to my brand new 16GB Kingston flash drive? If so what are the commands?

Most important is, will I need the lost root password somewhere during this process?

If so, is formatting the home drive the next step?

Curious and embarassed
jeb
Old 14th August 2017, 12:10 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The guide I posted didn't work in Fedora. Looking some more.

This Fedora guide is more complicated, but it should work.

dd_wizard

Last edited by dd_wizard; 14th August 2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 14th August 2017, 08:53 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

@jeb, no the above upgrades what you already have installed.

if you want to install a brand new version to the new flash drive (without the need for any existing passwords) you do need to download an ISO instead.

you can use the media writer to download, verify and flash the live bootable ISO to USB (not an actual installation you can use to save files to) or write to DVD. after this is done, you would then proceed with an installation using that written media. make a backup copy of your /home partition before doing anything else if you didn't already do it while following the dnf system upgrade guide.

sudo shouldn't normally cause you to be asked for the root password, so something odd is going on there. it's normally authorised with your own account password. if the command was su instead of sudo, I could understand as that is a root account invoking command.
Old 14th August 2017, 03:15 PM
jeb3121 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi, antikythera;1792430

if you want to install a brand new version to the new flash drive (without the need for any existing passwords) you do need to download an ISO instead.

you can use the media writer to download, verify and flash the live bootable ISO to USB (not an actual installation you can use to save files to) or write to DVD. after this is done, you would then proceed with an installation using that written media. make a backup copy of your /home partition before doing anything else if you didn't already do it while following the dnf system upgrade guide.

sudo shouldn't normally cause you to be asked for the root password, so something odd is going on there. it's normally authorised with your own account password. if the command was su instead of sudo, I could understand as that is a root account invoking command.[/QUOTE]

I went thru to media writer where I found that the Fedora Workstation available is version 25.

Is it a case of the blurb not up to date or the link? I imagine with the new ownership/management emphasis details can be overlooked for a while.

jeb
Old 14th August 2017, 03:27 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

it's just a tutorial written some time ago for the fedoramagazine site. the same method applies though. when you load the media writer it will give the option to download fedora 26
Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM
jeb3121 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

antikythera told me:

"if you want to install a brand new version to the new flash drive (without the need for any existing passwords) you do need to download an ISO instead.

you can use the media writer to download, verify and flash the live bootable ISO to USB (not an actual installation you can use to save files to) or write to DVD. after this is done, you would then proceed with an installation using that written media."

I've d/l media writer but, being unfamiliar with command line, haven't been able to bring it up.

I would really appreciate it if someone would provide me with commands from start to finish with a live usb stick.

This time I plan to save commands/instructions and the root password; no more

Jeb
Old 14th August 2017, 03:41 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I imagine with the new ownership/management emphasis details can be overlooked for a while.
Jeb, we're not connected to FedoraProject. Our changes have nothing to do with their wiki if that's what you were referring to. OR...did FedoraProject become a part of Microsoft??? (Nobody tells me nuthin')
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 14th August 2017, 03:43 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

worse, oswald cobblepot is in charge now
Old Yesterday, 01:10 AM
jeb3121 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
oswald cobblepot
I'm curious about the geographic origin of the name and the picture it brings to mind.

jeb
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Oswald Cobblepot is The Penguin from Batman

rather than copying and pasting here, please read the instructions provided in the fedora documentation about how to proceed. we don't normally do 'read the manual' posts on this forum but in this case it is a very well laid out document that explains everything step by step which is what you are after. you can save them as html, epub or pdf. so if you have a tablet handy or a smartphone you can have them open while you work on the pc:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...oot-media.html

refer to Procedure 3.4. Creating USB Media with Fedora Media Writer on Fedora 24 and later onwards

Tags
64bit, transition