Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th December 2012, 02:57 PM
Simon Hoare Offline

linuxfirefox
How to handle kernel/grub2 updates in relation to comfortable installed Catalyst

Fedora 17 is telling me there is a new kernel and grub2 upgrade/update available.

As I am using the ATI Catalyst driver, what is the best working practise to installing these without being faced with a black screen on reboot? Do I simply uninstall the driver (uninstall, no additional "purge" actions) and then reinstall once I'm running the new kernel?
Old 5th March 2013, 12:45 PM
Bucic Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Re: How to handle kernel/grub2 updates in relation to comfortable installed Catalyst

Bumping the topic. I stumbled upon the same problem recently http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=289393 and it would be great to learn how to actually prevent it instead of nagging people on the forums every time an upgrade brakes something.
Old 24th September 2013, 05:23 AM
Simon Hoare Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: How to handle kernel/grub2 updates in relation to comfortable installed Catalyst

Ok just in case anyone still wants to know the answer: I use the F18 instructions from the AMD Unofficial wiki (on F19 at the moment) and then when there is a new update, I install the update and rerun the kernel script and aticonfig --initial -f. Then reboot.
Old 24th September 2013, 06:13 PM
Bucic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hoare View Post
Ok just in case anyone still wants to know the answer: I use the F18 instructions from the AMD Unofficial wiki (on F19 at the moment) and then when there is a new update, I install the update and rerun the kernel script and aticonfig --initial -f. Then reboot.
Thanks for posting! (don't you hate those 'Never mind, I solved it. <gone>' $#s)

Have you used the instructions linked here? http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Fedora#Installation
Old 24th September 2013, 07:50 PM
Simon Hoare Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes. That's exactly what I used. Just use the last 2 steps each time. It says Fedora 18 but works just as well under 19.
Old 24th September 2013, 09:39 PM
Bucic Offline

linuxfirefox

TY very much!

Tags
catalyst , comfortable , handle , installed , kernel or grub2 , relation , updates