Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th July 2017, 05:17 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox
Virtualbox + Ryzen CPU barely utilized?

Is there a bug in how VirtualBox handles the extra cores Ryzen has to offer? I'm compiling code in my VM with 6 cores enabled on it and it seems to cap at 10% CPU usage. This makes me wonder if it's a VirtualBox thing, or if perhaps it's the fact that I'm running FreeBSD as my guest OS w/o guest additions? Any thoughts?
Old 10th July 2017, 08:55 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Virtualbox + Ryzen CPU barely utilized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratacast1 View Post
Is there a bug in how VirtualBox handles the extra cores Ryzen has to offer? I'm compiling code in my VM with 6 cores enabled on it and it seems to cap at 10% CPU usage. This makes me wonder if it's a VirtualBox thing, or if perhaps it's the fact that I'm running FreeBSD as my guest OS w/o guest additions? Any thoughts?
guest additions shouldn't make any difference to how many cores and the percentage available regardless of processor generation. what settings have you got in place? virtualisation type, cores shared and percentage?
Old 11th July 2017, 05:42 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

I gave it 4GB of memory, I have AMD's virtualization software enabled in UEFI, I gave VBox 6 cores with an execution cap of 100%
Old 11th July 2017, 09:03 AM
nobody Offline
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Question Re: Virtualbox + Ryzen CPU barely utilized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratacast1 View Post
I gave it 4GB of memory, I have AMD's virtualization software enabled in UEFI, I gave VBox 6 cores with an execution cap of 100%
I need program top output with <1> ON, please (FreeBSD VM one)?

_nobody_
Old 11th July 2017, 09:08 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Also, I meant what virtualisation method have you instructed VirtualBox to use?
Old 17th July 2017, 04:12 PM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

nobody: I will give you top in a few days, I ended up going out of town and am still away :P
antikythera, I'm not sure what you mean...type 2? Whatever the AMD version of VT-x is? I'm not aware of VBox using any other way than what it does out of the box
Old 17th July 2017, 04:44 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

when you return home, take a look at this, in particular section 3.4.3

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...ings-processor

there are several hardware virtualisation options to choose from. VirtualBox picks the one it thinks is best but that may not always be correct for the host hardware and operating system.
Old 17th July 2017, 08:09 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome

Hi=stratacast1
I have a question not related to virtual box. You are an early user. What are your thoughts about your Ryzen system. Would you recommend Ryzen for Linux only user?

I've been waiting for the PC manufacturers or bigbox stores to announce Ryzen systems before I build my own.
It's my way of knowing that the early teething problems re bios settings have been resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Leslie

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 18th July 2017, 07:30 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Tell VirtualBox to use KVM because it seems to be the most responsive option with my own AMD hardware and will certainly make use of the hardware virtualisation your processor offers.

First, make sure the VM is shut down. In the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager, click on the machine to select it and then click the settings button. Click on System, followed by Acceleration. Choose KVM and make sure Enable VT-x/AMD-V and Nested Paging are also ticked. Click on Okay and the changes will be committed to the VM profile. You may need to reinstall the guest operating system in the VM, I don't know if changing the acceleration method is okay after installing an OS in VM.
Old 21st July 2017, 09:55 PM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi there Leslie, I would definitely recommend Ryzen to Linux user, but definitely keep an eye out on different manufacturers. You want to see if the motherboard manufacturer has updated their BIOS to AGESA 1.0.0.6 which has better memory, overclock, and IOMMU support (most boards have this now I see). Also some manufacturers use proprietary WiFi drivers so keep an eye out for that if you want integrated WiFi. I have the Ryzen 1600 and an MSI B350M Mortar Arctic and have had no problems. One thing that I would recommend though is perhaps wait a bit longer until there's lm_sensors code for detecting CPU temps, as I am in the dark with how warm my Ryzen is running right now

My favorite board that I saw was the ASRock X370 Killer with AC wifi. Intel ethernet, Intel wireless chip and some other goodies. There are also some other good sub-$100 motherboards, but wouldn't be good for strong overclocks. My 1600 is at 3.7GHz right now at a low voltage (forgot what it was)

antikythera I see exactly what you're talking about now. Switching it to KVM made all the difference running my 6-core slices at 100% like I want
Old 21st July 2017, 11:55 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi Stratacast1

I want to thank you for the recommendations. I am taking them to heart.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Tags
barely, cpu, ryzen, utilized, virtualbox