Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2017, 05:32 PM
darkaeon54 Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Unhappy Fedora not using full available RAM

I have a dual boot with Windows 7 and Fedora 26, both 64bit (I'm sure), and they're both using EFI.

When I boot into Windows 7 through Window's native bootloader windows detects all 55GB of RAM in my system, but when I boot into either Fedora or Windows using the Grub2 loader, neither system is able to utilize the full available amount of ram (they can only see about 3.4GiB).

I've already tried googling and trying various ways to set "mem=xxM" in grub and updating grub, and even tried setting it through grub itself on boot, but no matter what I try nothing seems to change the amount of RAM the OS's can use. Does anyone happen to know what I should be doing to fix this for both Fedora and Windows? Is there any automatic way for grub to detect the amount available and update the boot settings so that I don't have to type in a value by myself?
Old 17th July 2017, 07:58 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora not using full available RAM

With Fedora26, the design is to reserve some ram as tmpdisk. The tmpdisk is used by Firefox and some Linux utilities.

On my computer, with 8gig ram I too lose about 1.5 gigs to tmpdisk. I am not sure where the setting is stored for establishing tempdisk.

Never respond to the forum with Android. The spellchecker changes words after the posting is sent

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 18th July 2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 18th July 2017, 09:15 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I dual boot W7 SP1 and Fedora 64-bit, both see all the available RAM from the 16GB installed in my notebook. You are positive you are using the 64-bit build of Fedora? The only reason I could foresee an issue like this arising is if you choose the i686 ISO which would install 32-bit and not the x86_64 (64-bit) version.

if the terminal command as follows returns a string ending in x86_64 you have installed 64-bit Fedora. Otherwise it's 32-bit.

Code:
uname -r
Fedora isn't going to allocate that much RAM for tmpfs from 55GB that it leaves just over 3GB. The value indicates the upper limit for 32-bit environment access as described by the OP Leslie. Also, from the 1.5GiB RAM some will be shared by your system's GPU.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:48 PM
darkaeon54 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

uname -r
--returns--
4.11.9-300.fc26.x86_64

I'm not worried about losing 3 or 4 GB to some OS feature, but right now I'm losing over 90%, so it's a much bigger deal. More recently I tried installing rEFInd bootloader and when I boot from that both my OSes see the full amount of RAM, but that bootloader causes me other issues that are unacceptable (on Windows my USB devices repeatedly unplug and plug in every half a second, and on Fedora my icons are glitched out, which makes me think it's unstable) so I don't want to go with that I'm thinking..

Here's some other specs about my hardware:
Motherboard: DX79SI
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 680
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Old 18th July 2017, 12:54 PM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

Considering that Windows finds all the memory unless its started through grub, and the size looks like the 32 bit limit, I would have a suspicion that somehow it is a 32 bit version of grub.
Old 18th July 2017, 01:05 PM
darkaeon54 Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Hmm, I never thought about grub itself being 32/64. Is there a command that I can type into the terminal to check?
Old 18th July 2017, 04:07 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkaeon54 View Post
Hmm, I never thought about grub itself being 32/64. Is there a command that I can type into the terminal to check?
Code:
dnf list | grep grub2*
Old 19th July 2017, 02:26 AM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Or, you can do it the easy way:

Code:
dnf list installed grub*
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Tags
fedora, ram