Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th July 2017, 01:54 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question Download and install BIOS for HP Probook 450 G3?

I can find an advisory for the BIOS of my HP notebook PC, but I do not see any link to a download for it. Does anyone know how to actually get the downloadable file?

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product...ment/c05537048

Also, I hope I can use the Fedora-included fwupd software to install it. Is this possible, or do I have to jump through all the Windows hoops?

Thank you,
Tim
Old 6th July 2017, 02:56 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Download and install BIOS for HP Probook 450 G3?

Further research: I tracked down HP's methodology for finding and downloading a BIOS upgrade. When I follow their procedures, it ends up with no BIOS upgrade available. My system is on version 1.15, but the advisory link in my above post clearly shows version 1.18.

This is such a mess.

Tim
Old 8th July 2017, 11:07 AM
nobody Offline
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Talking Re: Download and install BIOS for HP Probook 450 G3?

You are lucky. I bought to my wife HP ProBook 450 G3.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...ook-pc/7834555
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79501-80000/sp79914.exe

_nobody_
Old 8th July 2017, 12:53 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thank you.

Tim
Old 8th July 2017, 05:16 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

That download is the older 1.16a and not 1.17 as referred to by the advisory for your specific model. Seemingly HP have written up the advisory but not released the BIOS file for your system yet.

At one point you could access an index file on their ftp server detailing what's in all the softpaq executables for business notebooks, they seem to have done away with this feature now.
Old 9th July 2017, 07:40 AM
nobody Offline
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Wink Re: Download and install BIOS for HP Probook 450 G3?

It is, indeed, UEFI 1.16A. Latest I put onto my wife's laptop (it is true laptop) was 1.14A, since couple of devices with UEFI 1.06A suddenly stopped working on WIN10 (also activated this one) there.

My wife is clueless when it comes to technology, she does mostly MS Office and watch movies (I installed for her Office 2016, and registered it, for free). I also installed WIN 8.1 (just in case I need to test something out of blue, and told her NOT to use it, only WIN10).

Now, everything there perfectly works, and I do not aim to change anything, unless something is broken.

I will download UEFI 1.17 and save it on my notebook, when it becomes available. Just in case!

And, YES, HP site is a complete mess. With this I agree 1000%.

_nobody_
Old 9th July 2017, 01:02 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes, I noticed all of that. When I first got the PC and it had Win 10, I upgraded it to 1.15. But since then, we have had the Skylake hyperthreading issue. My PC has a Skylake i7, so I'd really like to get the latest BIOS. But I completely banished Windows by formatting the drive and installing Fedora.

Tim
Old 9th July 2017, 03:38 PM
nobody Offline
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Wink Re: Download and install BIOS for HP Probook 450 G3?

Yes, there is problem with HT. It is i5-6200 SKL-U, as I recall.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88193/...up-to-2_80-GHz

I found very HP cheap shop in Skopje, Capital of Macedonia (MK), since I am originally from Balkans, but NOT from MK, and bought HP ProBook 450 G3 17" somewhere in December Y2015 for circa 600 EUROs (sales tax included), no touch screen (just normal one), HDD of capacity 1000GB (no SSD), and bare metal one - I requested bare metal, since the additional charge was 80 to 100 EURos for (unactivated) WIN 8.1 .

The same model at that time was selling in Belgrade, Serbia, for 1150 EUROs, with activated WIN7, included in the package (mandatory). Sales tax there: 20%!

The sales tax on computer technology in Skopje, MK, is only 5%.

I bricked first one by upgrading UEFI, it was by default version 1.03A, I recall, and wanted to repair it, since I knew exactly why UEFI brick happened (while updating UEFI from original 1.03A to 1.06A). Went back to HP shop, and offered them to open it and fix it (in front of them, so I retain the warranty), but they took one I brought back, and issued another, brand new.

I did not make the same mistake... And since then All Cool (with some glitches, I fixed along).
_______

Please, do for me the following: dmesg | grep CPU, so we can see what MCU (Micro Code Update) you do have there?! It should be at least 0xba...

Material to read: http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/sh...d.php?t=314575

_nobody_
Old 10th July 2017, 06:11 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks again, @nobody. When I'm back on that PC, I will do the dmesg thing you requested and post again.

Meanwhile, a plan is starting to come together. I went into the BIOS Setup, and there is an option to upgrade the BIOS from BIOS Setup. I have to get the .bin file into a particular folder on a USB stick. For that, I have found package "unarchiver", which says it can extract from Windows exe files. We shall see.

Also, I will try to wait for an HP Sofpaq containing the most recent BIOS.

Tim
Old 14th July 2017, 02:03 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Re: Download and install BIOS for HP Probook 450 G3?

I have made some progress in finding documentation on how to do this, but the current BIOS still says it cannot find the new BIOS on my USB stick. Does no one else use a late model HP business notebook PC? Or, have they just not tried to update their BIOSs?

Here is where I am with the USB stick: 1) The partition must be named HP_TOOLS 2) The filesystem must be FAT32 3) The top directory is Hewlett-Packard 3) It contains subdirectories BIOS and BIOSUpdate 4) BIOS contains subdirectory New. New contains file N78_nnnn.bin 5) BIOSUpdate contains all the files from the BIOSUpdate directory from the SofPaq extract

I think that maybe what I need to do now is put the PC into legacy boot mode, but that sounds dangerous. Is it possible to create a UEFI USB stick?

Tim
Old 14th July 2017, 02:57 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

it shouldn't make any difference whether the flash drive is MBR or GPT if the flash option is available through BIOS. just make sure the drive is formatted to fat32 as described in the instructions.

The fact it requests FAT32 would suggest you can use an MBR drive anyhow. try putting the BIOS file in the top directory of the flash drive.
Old 14th July 2017, 04:12 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thank you, but even the message that comes up when the BIOS says it can't find the new BIOS states that it must be in /Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New or /EFI/BIOS/New

Tim

Last edited by tim8723; 14th July 2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Minor typo
Old 14th July 2017, 04:31 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

try this one, it's the 1.17A version released on 7th July 2017

Quote:
ENHANCEMENTS:
-Update Intel Microcode to 0xBA for SKL CPU.
-Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to these updated BIOS versions which supersede all previous releases.
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81001-81500/sp81023.exe

full details: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...Id/ob-189625-1

the file contained is n78_0017.bin

so extract ALL the files and place the lot in the directory on your thumb drive /Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New
Old 17th July 2017, 05:21 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfirefox

@antikythera, that was great thinking "outside the box", and I felt like it was going to work. But it didn't, and still says it cannot find the BIOS file under \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New.. After that failed, I tried putting the sp81023 folder under \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New, but that did the same thing, too.

And yes, I had already found the 1.17a SofPaq, but thanks.

I think I will make a final try at renaming the Hewlwett-Packard directory to EFI, but I don't have high hopes.

Tim
Old 17th July 2017, 06:57 PM
tim8723 Offline

linuxfirefox
Smile Re: Download and install BIOS for HP Probook 450 G3?

Success! I have been fighting this for about two weeks. Here is what finally worked for me. I give a big, "Thank You!" to antikythera for nudging me to think a little differently.

Created a new partition table on a USB stick. Created a "Windows data" (type 0700) partition. Labeled the partition HP_TOOLS. Created a FAT32 filesystem on it.

Named my top-level directory "EFI". "Hewlett-Packard" is also documented to work, but it didn't work for me. Built a directory hierarchy as "\EFI\HP\BIOS\New".

Expanded the HP SofPaq Windows exe using unar. I am told that 7zip would do it as well, but that's not what I used.

Copied everything under, but not including, the sp81023 directory to the New directory of my USB stick. The BIOS then upgraded without a hitch.

Tim

Tags
450, bios, download, install, probook