Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th September 2017, 05:28 AM
Dmitresso Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
No sound on youtube

Hello everyone!
The only one reason I can suppose - software updates. Sound is absent on all browsers I have in system (Mozilla FireFox 55.0.3 (64-bit) as default, Konqueror (KDE Frameworks 5.36.0, Qt 5.7.1), Chromium (60.0.3112.113 developer pack), there's also don't work videos on Twitter. Another sites (vk.com, vimeo.com) give sound and video. I've tried to turn off Adobe Flash and play videos on HTML5 (in FF within plugins) - doesn't even want to show picture without sound as now.
System info:
Fedora 26
Kernel 4.12.14-300.fc26.x86_64
KDE Plasma 5.10.5
Qt 5.7.1
flash-plugin 27.0.0.130, source flash-plugin-27.0.0.130-release.src.rpm
Old 2nd October 2017, 03:58 AM
MrErr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: No sound on youtube

I am having the same problem. I use gnome and it looks like flash is the problem. HTML5 works on youtube and vimeo for me.
Old 2nd October 2017, 04:25 AM
Dmitresso Offline

windows_7firefox

I checked my default browser (FF) with html5test.com, installed h264 codecs, made some magic in KDE sound in settings and turned on mozilla sound in sound menu on KDE panel.
Old 2nd October 2017, 04:35 AM
MrErr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

according to html5test.com, I do have the hs64 codecs installed.

So what magic did you have to do in KDE to get firefox to work with flash?
Old 2nd October 2017, 04:56 AM
Dmitresso Offline

windows_7firefox

No, FF+Flash is not in KDE. I thought that Mozilla disabled flash after updates and installed mozilla addons to get choose between Flash and HTML5. But with HTML5 enabled youtube didn't want to play any video. I returned to Flash, installed h264 codecs and found that I had lost sound at all. After this I saw into KDE settings, in sound. I have to notice, that's two device to choose I have in sound settings - first one is really something about sound output from motherboard, and second one - HDMI (I don't know, if it's possible to get sound output via HDMI), by default was choosed first one, and it has drop-down menu with 15-20 variants, here was choosed input instead output, it first. And second, clocked on sound label on KDE panel, it shows menu, that has two tabs - system sound and applications sound. I don't know why (possibly it's a normal thing) but mozilla had several sound bars (probably, mozilla represents sound in OS by separated "threads" as it's represented in FF via tabs, allowing to mute sound per tab) and one of bars had slider turned in 0%. Sorry for many letters, tried to describe all things, maybe you have similar problem in Gnome.
P.S. FF works with Flash by default. You can try to change it's behavior via addons, and don't forget to check Flash permissions

Last edited by Dmitresso; 2nd October 2017 at 05:00 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old 12th October 2017, 12:30 AM
MrErr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I was able to fix my issue by making sure the following packages were installed.

flash-plugin.x86_64
freshplayerplugin.x86_64
flash-player-ppapi.x86_64

I hope this helps others.

Tags
flash , sound , youtube