Originally Posted by nomko
I'm thinking of switching from *buntu/*buntu derivative to Fedora. I was looking at the version with the Cinnamon desktop since this desktop appeals more to me than the other desktops. I have a few questions:
1) How stable is Cinnamon on Fedora since Cinnamon is originally Linux Mint stuff...
2) Can i use the Cinnamon applets/extensions/desklets also on Fedora Cinnamon?
3) How well is Fedora with the cinnamon supported on this forum?
Hopefully someone here can answer my questions.
Many thanks in advance!
Hi. 1st wellcome in Fedora forum. I'm on Cinnamon version of Fedora since Fedora 24 then upgraded to 26.
It is very nice better than Mint itself !
1) on Fedora, it seem to me more stable than Mint. I feel that Fedora team trying to fix bugs in Cinnamon that not fixed yet by Mint !
2) yes, you can use extentions & applets. Mostly without need for special customizations, except few: like update applet where you ned to change source of packages from Mint to that of Fedora. There is only one screen record applet need package not available for Fedora ......
3) there is special section in this forum for Fedora varients like Cinnamon. But rarely I post in this section & most my posts in sections of using Fedora then hardware, then section of security.
Remember 2 facts:
A. Any varient other than GNOME Fedora is good & releaf you from most troubles.
B. Fedora by itself (regardless DE) is preview distro. & may contain bugs that some times disasterious.
C. Fedora bugs involve performance NOT security.