Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th October 2017, 01:41 PM
nomko Offline

windows_7chrome
Question Fedora with Cinnamon desktop

Hi there,

I'm thinking of switching from *buntu/*buntu derivative to Fedora. I was looking at the version with the Cinnamon desktop since this desktop appeals more to me than the other desktops. I have a few questions:

1) How stable is Cinnamon on Fedora since Cinnamon is originally Linux Mint stuff...
2) Can i use the Cinnamon applets/extensions/desklets also on Fedora Cinnamon?
3) How well is Fedora with the cinnamon supported on this forum?

Hopefully someone here can answer my questions.

Many thanks in advance!
Nomko
Old 9th October 2017, 04:23 PM
User808 Offline

linuxsafari
Re: Fedora with Cinnamon desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomko View Post
Hi there,

I'm thinking of switching from *buntu/*buntu derivative to Fedora. I was looking at the version with the Cinnamon desktop since this desktop appeals more to me than the other desktops. I have a few questions:

1) How stable is Cinnamon on Fedora since Cinnamon is originally Linux Mint stuff...
2) Can i use the Cinnamon applets/extensions/desklets also on Fedora Cinnamon?
3) How well is Fedora with the cinnamon supported on this forum?

Hopefully someone here can answer my questions.

Many thanks in advance!
Nomko
Hi. 1st wellcome in Fedora forum. I'm on Cinnamon version of Fedora since Fedora 24 then upgraded to 26.

It is very nice better than Mint itself !

1) on Fedora, it seem to me more stable than Mint. I feel that Fedora team trying to fix bugs in Cinnamon that not fixed yet by Mint !
2) yes, you can use extentions & applets. Mostly without need for special customizations, except few: like update applet where you ned to change source of packages from Mint to that of Fedora. There is only one screen record applet need package not available for Fedora ......
3) there is special section in this forum for Fedora varients like Cinnamon. But rarely I post in this section & most my posts in sections of using Fedora then hardware, then section of security.

Remember 2 facts:
A. Any varient other than GNOME Fedora is good & releaf you from most troubles.
B. Fedora by itself (regardless DE) is preview distro. & may contain bugs that some times disasterious.
C. Fedora bugs involve performance NOT security.

Best.
Old 9th October 2017, 10:45 PM
nomko Offline

windows_7chrome
Question Re: Fedora with Cinnamon desktop

Quote:
1) on Fedora, it seem to me more stable than Mint. I feel that Fedora team trying to fix bugs in Cinnamon that not fixed yet by Mint !
Please explain this.

Quote:
2) yes, you can use extentions & applets. Mostly without need for special customizations, except few: like update applet where you ned to change source of packages from Mint to that of Fedora. There is only one screen record applet need package not available for Fedora ......
So...better not use them???

Quote:
3) there is special section in this forum for Fedora varients like Cinnamon. But rarely I post in this section & most my posts in sections of using Fedora then hardware, then section of security.
Not aware of that specific section. I'll take a look in that section. But regardless of the desktop version, Fedora is Fedora so i still can post in other subtopics?

Quote:
A. Any varient other than GNOME Fedora is good & releaf you from most troubles.
Why is that? I've read here and there that Gnome is pulling up the Gnome DE to a higher level, more stability and better user experience. And what kind of troubles do you mean? Is this not a merely personal feeling?

Quote:
B. Fedora by itself (regardless DE) is preview distro. & may contain bugs that some times disasterious.
I thought Fedora was stable and secure. Please clarify.

Quote:
C. Fedora bugs involve performance NOT security.
So...you're telling me that Fedora does have a big impact on performance? Why is that? And how can this be? Please clarify.

Thanks!
Old 10th October 2017, 10:45 AM
HaydnH Online

linuxfedorachrome
Re: Fedora with Cinnamon desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomko View Post
I thought Fedora was stable and secure. Please clarify.
It is these days, mostly. Historically Fedora was seen as the proving ground for the latest and greatest Linux software before it's incorporated in to Redhat. Unfortunately that sometimes means the latest software isn't quite ready for prime time, for example Fedora currently uses Wayland which is a replacement for Xorg - this has caused quite a few issues for some people... however it's easy to disable Wayland and make Fedora stable again, especially if you're considering cinnamon rather than gnome.

Tags
cinnamon , desktop , fedora