Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th April 2017, 12:50 PM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Convince me to switch back to GNOME

When i used Gnome i had downloaded a script and placed it in /.local/share/nautilus/scripts folder and used to call it from there. It used to ask for time interval and then makes a xml in the DIR containing the images. It is much easier than using it from command line IMO.
Old 27th April 2017, 01:49 PM
thunderogg Offline

linuxfirefox

Not a bad idea, topiwala. Thanks!
Old 27th April 2017, 01:54 PM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I think this was the one https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1007695/
Old 27th April 2017, 10:34 PM
thunderogg Offline

linuxfirefox

topiwala: I will check it out. Thank you. I was thinking of using lsatenstein's script for that purpose.
Old 28th April 2017, 12:16 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For all intents and purposes, I am full time on Fedora 26 with Gnome. (Sadly, with teething problems that KDE has, I gave up on it.

One good reason I am with F26. GCC 7.0.1 . The compiler is producing better diagnostics and tighter / faster code.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 4th June 2017, 07:22 AM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

I know this is late, but I switched to F26 with GNOME today, using the Arc-OSX-Darker theme I'll try rotating wallpapers mod on here, but I can forgive it not existing and the ugly login page, as GNOME is so well suited on my XPS 13 9350
Old 4th June 2017, 08:06 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I tried GNOME again recently, more to test my hardware against Wayland than anything. While the hardware worked, the experience further convinced me that I should stick with my preferred DE instead. Eventually, that will also use Wayland by which time I hope they have sorted out the security/polkit issues that prevent legit user actions from terminal. Wayland is a great idea but far too restrictive at present to be of any use.

Also, what is the point of having GNOME Software running from packagekit as the default package manager if you can't use it to find all available packages in the fedora repositories or any third party ones added for proprietary features? There are too many gaps and foibles for my liking. A user experience should be based around the user's needs and not dictated so rigidly by the far too dumbed down DE.

GNOME Tweak tools should be included as part of the Workstation ISO, as should a few of the most popular extensions.

So while I applaud your optimism right now for the fact it works well with your hardware, I'm just wondering how long it will last before you switch back to the DE you used before or to something else entirely out of sheer frustration
Old 4th June 2017, 09:22 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

On my end, the frustration comes from other things than whatever GUI package manager tools are available.
I don't use them. Probably for the same reason I use Gnome 3. And that is general usability.

GUI PMs are simply too cumbersome and slow to deal with. By the time I click this and that, I have all the results with yum on CLI. No need to bother.

Same with Gnome 3 and general desktop use. With all the traditional task bar WMs, the mess they introduce with more apps/virtual desktops is just pain again. Flow with Gnome 3 here is way better for my usage pattern. I can almost solely use keyboard and not touch mouse for practically all tasks.

I don't use Fedora, but if Gnome TT are not part of the ISO, that's hardly a problem of Gnome 3.

As for the hw requirements. Hm, they are definitely higher than e.g. LXDE or Mate. So what? Ram is so fscking cheap that this is not an excuse at all. Sure, sometimes upgrade is not possible for technical reasons, but frankly, in this case it's so old that the only reasonable use would be for those light DEs.

That's the primary reason they exist, really.

I'm no fan of Ubuntu, but at least Shutter finally admitted that Unity was more or less a mistake.
Old 4th June 2017, 09:47 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

RAM wasn't the issue, nor was the GPU being powerful enough. Lack of decent driver support was. Wayland when initially released wouldn't run with my AMD hardware in a stable manner. I was hardly going to go and buy a new GPU specifically to run Wayland.

My point regarding the PM is more from the point of view that it will put off new users if they can't find a package that Ubuntu's defacto package manager or Mint Software Boutique for example offers. Also if you do use a n other package manager as well it can lead to database issues as per the PSA in the news section. I have asked Adam if it still applies but haven't heard anything to the contrary from him yet so can only assume it does.

I am using dnf from the command line 99.9% of the time these days. I am however using dnfdragora for my F26 installation which locked up on me last night while searching and selecting packages so I'll report if necessary how it occurred. I think it relates to the rpm beta release blocking bug though.

My main OS is actually CentOS 7.3 again with MATE DE from EPEL. I have more faith in that as a stable OS for my daily workload.

Yes RAM is cheap, however again regarding some users, they wouldn't know where to start upgrading that either.

I use MATE out of choice, not because it is lighter on resources. It is far more customisable than GNOME 3 without resorting to extensions and a tweak tool. Also there isn't the need to switch between Wayland, Xorg and Classic modes because half the programs I use won't run in Wayland yet. GIMP for example only works properly with Xorg. Everything just works.

Out of interest which OS do you use mainly then? I also have DragonFlyBSD (no DE chosen yet as I'm learning the BSD terminal commands), Manjaro XFCE, Mint Cinnamon and UbuntuMATE installed.
Old 4th June 2017, 12:24 PM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm on CentOS 7.3 as well and if nothing important changes, I will use it.

Yes, no wayland concerns and by the time it really is used on daily basis, new RHEL and clones will be ready for it.

As I get older, I simply don't have time, nor enthusiasm to deal with the breakage. I shouldn't know what my kernel version is, as long as it does what I need it to do. Hehe, actually, in CentOS I know a lot better what my kernel ver. is, as it doesn't change much.

I need the software I use to function correctly for the lifetime of the distro, also with minimal risks of kernel ABI changes getting in the way of kmod drivers (it happens, but rarely).

I also don't like unnecessary updates to everything all the time, just for the sake of a new version etc.
All this combined means CentOS is right for me. It has it's downsides, like glibc being old for some (not only binary) stuff. But that is minor and all I need is working perfectly fine here. Also with help of some AppImages.

I need Win installation in VBox for one app and sometimes I use it for other stuff if I can't get it to work in wine, but that's minority of my usage. Windows is good only in VM, where I can go back to any snapshot in a few seconds. Fixing real Windows crap is not for my nerves these days.

Gnome 3 for me combines sort of minimal interface design with no unnecessary GUI controls, but with usability in mind. Sure, people have different preferences here, but what G3 devs have in mind, is close to what I prefer too. So I guess I'm happy?

I still have Openbox as an alternative, in case some X11 app misbehaves in Gnome 3, but I don't have any such app here now. It was happening with some apps in earlier versions of G3.

EPEL is a must for me. I would be able to live w/o ELrepo, but it makes life easier too. Nux also helps a lot.
At least MP3 is now patent free, so no "tainted" kind of repos are needed for this one anymore.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:59 PM
stratacast1 Offline

linuxfirefox

I really like the minimal and simplistic UI on my laptop which is why I am using GNOME only on my laptop. Otherwise, I have been completely convinced that KDE5 is my favorite DE now and I require an OS with a good working version of KDE, which leaves me with Fedora or KDE Neon, however I really do prefer Fedora. Ever since I got my first Fedora 20 DVD at a Linuxfest, I have switched away and always came back. My only problem with my new install (which I think has nothing to do with GNOME) is Darktable isn't working, which isn't too severe right now because I have a home workstation to do that work with.

I agree a lot with what Maryyy says in this case. Perhaps I'd switch back to KDE on my laptop, but I think GNOME brings me closer to the things I loved when I had a MacBook that no other DE does right now
Old 4th June 2017, 11:41 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratacast1 View Post
I really like the minimal and simplistic UI on my laptop which is why I am using GNOME only on my laptop. Otherwise, I have been completely convinced that KDE5 is my favorite DE now and I require an OS with a good working version of KDE, which leaves me with Fedora or KDE Neon, however I really do prefer Fedora. Ever since I got my first Fedora 20 DVD at a Linuxfest, I have switched away and always came back. My only problem with my new install (which I think has nothing to do with GNOME) is Darktable isn't working, which isn't too severe right now because I have a home workstation to do that work with.

I agree a lot with what Maryyy says in this case. Perhaps I'd switch back to KDE on my laptop, but I think GNOME brings me closer to the things I loved when I had a MacBook that no other DE does right now
I'm a Gnome biggot. And the only reasons I am tied to Gnome are due to two specific extensions.
The first is Taskbar by zpydr. I configured this sofware to replicate the dash on the botton of the screen.
It has other amazing features, making it the reason I remain with Gnome.

The second extension is Gno Menu. It is a replacement for application, the top left corner.

If there is a third, it is topicons-plus. Gnome has, at the bottom left corner, an area that pops out if you mouse over that corner. When in terminal mode, that popout is annoying. This exension relocates that popout.

So, Gnome with these three extensions is easy to use.
May I also make a semi related comment. It was learned that people who drive Hondas, will read every Honda advert that comes their way. People who use Mate/xfcd/kde will follow every detailed article about Mate/xfce/kde. Its our mental committment.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 5th June 2017, 08:40 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein
May I also make a semi related comment. It was learned that people who drive Hondas, will read every Honda advert that comes their way. People who use Mate/xfcd/kde will follow every detailed article about Mate/xfce/kde. Its our mental committment.
Hehe. Hm, not exactly.

Simple causality. Picking a cup of tea from the table is the same thing as when you're thinking about someone and later in the day you get the call from him e.g.
The only difference here is that one is a subject of obvious ability to observe while the other falls to the category of luck, accident and similarly nonsensical terms.
Just because we can't cover something by our senses combined with logical analysis, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

"I think, therefore I am." This is one of the saddest sayings of all time. And is also completely wrong.
Old 5th June 2017, 01:51 PM
maverickjester Offline

macoschrome

Hi strat,
It sounds very much like all except the fire fox are personal preference issues. You stated a few good performance reasons why to come back but personal preference about why to stay away. It would be a perfect world if you could have both preference and performance all the time. If you could not, then I would ask which would be the most important factor. In your case as you are still on KDE, which I do like also. It sounds like preference is more important. The first commenter has a reasonable solution for the NB FF. I think your comments would make a great addition to the gnome forums to push features that maybe more users than yourself are search for also. Try any of the links here https://www.gnome.org/get-involved/ You have some good points and I agree that customization is they way most users want to go. I like making the machine my own.
Old 6th June 2017, 02:43 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Maryyy wrote:
Quote:
"I think, therefore I am." This is one of the saddest sayings of all time. And is also completely wrong.
Descartes' famous dictum "cogito ergo sum" translated as "I think, therefore I am" is certainly "wrong" in the sense that it is mistaken logic because it assumes the existence of a self with the first "I" to prove that very existence as the consequence, which is a logical fallacy. However, on an experiential level, one could make a case for the experience of thinking to be a form of corroboration for one's sense of one's being alive, that is, of one's existence. But this latter "insight" is rather trivial.

From a psychological point of view, lsatenstein's comment (quoted in post #28) implying, in a general way, that people tend to pay attention to what they have commitments to and tend to ignore alternatives, does have some support in the psychological literature. It's related to confirmation biases and effects.