<---- template headericclude ----->
Redhat deprecating KDE, what does that mean for fedora?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redhat deprecating KDE, what does that mean for fedora?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...eprecates_kde/

So lets make one thing clear...
    I HATE gnome shell!
    I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it!

It is a iphone interface bolted onto a desktop.
    The gnome developers are insane too dropping features every 10 seconds like desktop icons that yes can clutter a desktop but all i want is a trash can but under gnome shell to empty my trash (without installing fifty billion extensions) instead of simply right clicking my trashcan on my desktop like you would do in every other desktop on the face of the earth including OSX (so i wont get called out for windows bias) I have to first open the file manager then empty my trash making a one step process into a two step process.

Then there is the window scaling for hidpi and its the most garbage thing, I only have three options, tiny (normal) huge (200%) and giant (300%)
    I have a 1440p screen here there should be a 150% option but no gnome shell doesnt have that.
    I can scale my desktop properly in Windows, in KDE, even cinnamon on linux mint no sweat as it actually scales properly.
    But not gnome shell

I actually only really use KDE much anymore or cinnamon, cinnamon is fine but i dread that day the rumor of gtk themes no longer being a thing comes true and gtk only has that ugly ass adwaita theme.
    This is why i am conerned about kde in fedora, as KDE is a good desktop for those of us who want some sanity, sure KDE made its mistakes too bur at least they are trying to build on features not remove features just because some loony in the devs decided to look at the face of Cthulhu too long.
    Insane in the membrane

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Redhat deprecating KDE, what does that mean for fedora?

Fedora Forum should have a like button! Gnome Shell.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
    There is no such thing as "the cloud," it's just somebody else's computer!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB

I HATE gnome shell!

The gnome developers are insane too dropping features every 10 seconds like desktop icons that yes can clutter a desktop but all i want is a trash can but under gnome shell to empty my trash (without installing fifty billion extensions) instead of simply right clicking my trashcan on my desktop like you would do in every other desktop on the face of the earth including OSX (so i wont get called out for windows bias) I have to first open the file manager then empty my trash making a one step process into a two step process.

Then there is the window scaling for hidpi and its the most garbage thing, I only have three options, tiny (normal) huge (200%) and giant (300%)
    I have a 1440p screen here there should be a 150% option but no gnome shell doesnt have that.
    I can scale my desktop properly in Windows, in KDE, even cinnamon on linux mint no sweat as it actually scales properly.
    But not gnome shell

I actually only really use KDE much anymore or cinnamon, cinnamon is fine but i dread that day the rumor of gtk themes no longer being a thing comes true and gtk only has that ugly ass adwaita theme.
    This is why i am conerned about kde in fedora, as KDE is a good desktop for those of us who want some sanity, sure KDE made its mistakes too bur at least they are trying to build on features not remove features just because some loony in the devs decided to look at the face of Cthulhu too long.
    I have no choice but to have switched to KDE for Fedora 29. Fedora 29's Gnome printer setup appears to be broken for me. I see the printer with lsusb, but what worked for printer setup in F28 is broken in F29. KDE for F29 is complete and works.

I use it now, and I like it. Oh well, when KDE is removed, I will still have alternative distributions to switch to for KDE support.
    And by the way, KDE will be improving as it has, as time moves on.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Now, in the hills above, Intel, Apple, AMD, Google, & the rest of the Corporate HQ's ......yay!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Fedora Forum should have a like button! Gnome Shell.... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Being one that's experienced what the "Likes" people have done to the area (no further comment for fear of getting political, economical, et cetera), I dislike the term "Like". Could the forum come up with a "Great!" button. Why give the other folks any credit with Liking something. After all, Linux (in any form), is different.

Being the proud owner of some older (read:really old) laptop & desktop items, I've been using KDE for several years. Specifically, a 2007/8 Mac laptop, & a 2011 era i7. Each release, I try Gnome, only to find the laptop & desktop grossly slow. The laptop is almost unusable. Think of slogging through treacle on an extremely cold day. If KDE continues in some form, as with many, I'll be content.
    Last edited by beighes; 2nd November 2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Morse's Law: There is always time for another pint!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan Riddell, a leading KDE developer and advocate, laments Red Hat's deprecation of KDE in a post on his blog.

Riddell's description of RHEL as "closed" vs Fedora being "all open" is wrong, of course, but it certainly is a common mistake.

He also wonders if the IBM acquisition is behind this. That seems really, really, unlikely to me. Why burn bridges before the approval process completes and favors the buy? My own completely uninformed guess is that there's little customer clamor for KDE *and* that someone has decided it isn't worth the cost and hassle figuring out how to shoehorn Plasma 5 into the Atomic/containerized/Silverblue-ish direction Fedora, and, hence, RHEL, are headed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KDE Fedora spin

Is KDE on Fedora going to be a problem now that IBM has bought out Red Hat and dropped support for it?

IBM's Post Red Hat Quandary: Buy & Build, or Dress Up for An Exit? https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevean...p-for-an-exit/

Red Hat killing off KDE https://www.fudzilla.com/news/47522-...illing-off-kde

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: KDE Fedora spin

When IBM/Redhat/Fedora drops KDE, I'll be moving on (most likely).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Two threads merged.

There are many Fedora desktop environments that do not feature in RHEL already, just because RHEL won't have KDE it doesn't necessarily mean Fedora won't either. It depends whether the Fedora KDE package maintainers stick around to carry on with it or if not someone takes it over. It's already a Spin and not a main Fedora Project ISO so nothing will change.

Please stop panicking over nothing guys

Now, in the hills above, Intel, Apple, AMD, Google, & the rest of the Corporate HQ's ......yay!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    .....There are many Fedora desktop environments that do not feature in RHEL already, just because RHEL won't have KDE it doesn't necessarily mean Fedora won't either. It depends whether the Fedora KDE package maintainers stick around to carry on with it or if not someone takes it over. It's already a Spin and not a main Fedora Project ISO so nothing will change.

No panic here. As with everything, time will tell.
    Morse's Law: There is always time for another pint!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two threads merged.

There are many Fedora desktop environments that do not feature in RHEL already, just because RHEL won't have KDE it doesn't necessarily mean Fedora won't either. It depends whether the Fedora KDE package maintainers stick around to carry on with it or if not someone takes it over. It's already a Spin and not a main Fedora Project ISO so nothing will change.

Well, it wouldn't be so bad, except Microsoft bought out GitHub, so now we're all subject to arbitrary intellectual property claims against our source, and all sorts of other legalistic tomfoolery. The Halloween Documents were no joke. http://www.groklaw.net

Microsoft completes GitHub acquisition
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...ition-complete

Microsoft and IBM sell bespoke big business "solutions" right off the shelf. They have no interest in fostering a "community" of open source developers who create and share their own solutions to make life with computers easier or at least not more difficult than it needs to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know Red Hat even supported KDE. This is not a big surprise since their focus is on GNOME. As I understand, all this means is that they are specifying that KDE is an unsupported configuration for their paid customers. Community will still provide KDE either in EPEL for enterprise or in Fedora.

Also I don't think Fedora is affected at all by this since there is no official support.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My view is that the KDE versions prior to Plasma will be blown away. KDE will remain.

My second view is that for the desktop, it no longer is a distribution competition, as all distributions I see are providing the same kernel levels, and the same level of GNOME or KDE.

Gnome and KDE have made the distribution provider an unimportance. Where it may become important is with the rapidity of support and activity of peer groups.

I see four winners for the desktop -- Ubuntu, SUSE/Tumbleweed, RedHat/Fedora, and the bunch of others. Eventually, some group is going to produce a KDE/GNOME distribution, similar to linuxMint and it will become the most popular. Furthermore, containers, flatpacks, etc. will be ubiquitous so that you visit some repository and choose the ones you want for your needs. They will be interchangeable -- universal, to all distributions.

Today I currently log into my Tumbleweed distribution as a KDE user, or use the gear wheel to log in as a Gnome user. I am a desktop user of Gnome and KDE.

With Fedora29 (on my 4th and 5th cpu disks, I can do KDE but not Gnome on one or the other but not both. Gear wheel functionality does not work

My belief: Fedora, Tumbleweed and Ubuntu are "financially" provided to allow development to take place at a safe "distance" from the servers. The former are used as a need to keep server quality super clean, while addressing customer requests.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    I didn't know Red Hat even supported KDE. This is not a big surprise since their focus is on GNOME. As I understand, all this means is that they are specifying that KDE is an unsupported configuration for their paid customers. Community will still provide KDE either in EPEL for enterprise or in Fedora.

Also I don't think Fedora is affected at all by this since there is no official support.
    Got it in one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB

I HATE gnome shell!

I feel your pain. Every once-in-a-while I revisit Gnome(recently with CentOS), my feelings are unchanged. I don't care for KDE either, been at least 10 years since I last used it.

I like Mate, does everything I want/need. Here's a "like" icon, feel free to use if you want. like.png
    Asrock Z590 Extreme |Intel Core i5-11400F|G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB| RTX 2060 |Fedora 39
    GIGABYTE B560M AORUS PRO|Intel Core i5-11400F|G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB|GeForce RTX 3060 |Debian 12
    Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | EVGA GTX 2070 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | ArcoLinux
    Laptop #1: Dell_Inspiron_15_7657 | ArcoLinux. Laptop #2: Lenovo ThinkBook 13s | Garuda(Linux)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it in one
    Hi Antikythera
    I noted that KDE is one of the many Fedora spins and that the KDE selection option is built-into the network installer iso. I am in-fact using F29's KDE that I installed from the Fedora 29 network installation ISO, and KDE is a pleasure to use. The issues I had with Gnome are a Gnome user's problem. KDE is smooth, well thought out, reliable, and configurable.
    Perhaps it may be time for me abandon Gnome in favour of KDE.
    By the way, in the same breathe RH will not be supporting btrfs. btrfs is going too.
    SUSE Linux is a pro-kde and pro-btrfs. Time will tell if they too reach a similar decision.

This good install experience and configuration means that tomorrow AM, KDE goes onto my new Crucial SSD, and I begin a new "love affair with KDE". Dragging images like libreoffice writer to the /Desktop that icon onto my desktop, available for a single mouse click. No need to need to click twice when once will do.
    I could of course put it into the lower panel where again, a single mouse click starts the application. And best of all, printer installation works with KDE. It is not yet working with Gnome.
    With KDE installed, I will try to add Gnome as a fallback to the same setup, to determine if with Fedora29, both can cohabit.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 4th November 2018 at 02:55 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast