FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What keyboard do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    Still using the same IBM Model M that I was using last month when you asked:

You mean the letters are still on the keys? They haven't rubbed smooth and off from wear and tear? You must not use it all that often.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, maybe he replaced the caps from some older M. But they may also really be still there. Sometimes those letters seem not to get worn off ever.
    Judging from the dirt, I guess he is using the keyboard regularly. Which I wouldn't be able to. Not something this dirty. Jesus, can't you just clean it from time to time.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sadowski
    You mean the letters are still on the keys? They haven't rubbed smooth and off from wear and tear? You must not use it all that often.
    Um, I've been using it every day for over 20 years. It's called quality. IBM made quality keyboards. The one I use at work is even older, and it's likewise still in great shape.
    OS: Fedora 39 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 (4)@3.30GHz | RAM: 32GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disks: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB SATA, Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST1000NM0033 1TB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz CS4630 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a natural keyboard. Much, much easier on the wrists.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At the danger of sounding like an old man, the old adage that they don't build things the way they used to is actually 100% correct here.

Old keyboards from my experience never faced the dreaded discolouration and rubbing modern equivalents do with even with laser etching.But also, white on black is going to pick up and show discolouration from skin oils/products far easier than traditional black lettering on polar white/beige/grey ever did.

I think it's also to do with the quality and type of paints used more than anything. Laser etching makes no odds.

The lettering on my Targus KB in the office still looks as crisp as the day I got it and it's used probably the most heavily of the bunch. Not so for a Chicony or MS one which have both discoloured. Same for my notebook, the lettering on that has started to darken a little. Not grounds for an RMA though as stated by most notebook manufacturers.

I think we have to thank modern health and environmental regulations for the limitation of what manufacturers are able to use nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know i know it's microsoft and i doubt it would last 20 years.. but checkout the sculpt ergonomic keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LTei3LDMNUw

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tryfedoraa
    i know i know it's microsoft and i doubt it would last 20 years.. but checkout the sculpt ergonomic keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LTei3LDMNUw
    I have the original that keyboard evolved from. The PS/2 Natural Keyboard from 1996 complete with W95 floppy discs. It's gone yellow but still works okay. I have relegated it to the cupboard though because it takes up way too much desk space. It is a massive keyboard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe. Yeah, that's why I always prefer black, as this color is also the color of the plastic, so it never goes any other shade in time.
    My Sharp MZ-800 is soooo horibly yellow these days. But runs Flappy the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unicomp still makes buckling spring keyboards just like the old IBM keyboards. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. I purchased a black with white keys 5 or 6 years ago and it works flawlessly.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fstab
    Unicomp still makes buckling spring keyboards just like the old IBM keyboards. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. I purchased a black with white keys 5 or 6 years ago and it works flawlessly.

I believe they licensed the original design from IBM and adapt it for USB, change the layout, colours etc. to suit modern usage and peoples needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cheapest one I can get from a brand name.

Using K120 for a few years now, no complains here, still feels the same as new one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe. I actually have two of them too as spares, among many others.
    There are two versions of K120. One for home and one for business use.
    They basically look the same, the only visual difference is that the home one has the lower part of the body grey, the business one is all black.
    But the main difference is the force needed to press the keys. The home one is definitely easier here and much quieter. The business one is more stiff and also louder.
    I got angry with one of them about a year ago or so and threw it across the room. It hit the wall and few caps went on their short sight seeing journey of the room. I managed to find them and put them back. No problem, seems to be perfectly fine.

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember fondly a Honeywell serial keyboard I used for many years, with the full-size 5-pin DIN plug. It looked pretty much like the IBM Model M (above) and had a nice feel.

Now I just use something reasonable, and reasonably cheap. Not fussed by brand, but the current one is Microsoft.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fstab

The Windows keys kind of ruin it for me. We don't need no stinkin' Windows keys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap small sized keyboard I can position anywhere i want.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast