Partitioning Software RAID, LVM and BTRFS
I'm helping a friend setting up a website.
We use fysical server (with two equal harddisks of 500GB) from home.
I have some experience with Ubuntu and have recently switched to fedora.
I adviced using Fedora F16.
What I would like to do is:
- Create a RAID 1,
- Create LVM on this RAID
- Create some BTRFS partitions on this LVM
Why LVM and BTRFS? I want to isolate the partitions, so that filesystem running full has local effect (in one partition) only.
I had this working with Ubuntu 11.10 for a while. Latest friday I tried to create similar using Fedoira F16, but I ran into some issues:
- When I tried to create LVM PV on RAID device, An Error is displayed stating that RAID device can not be used with growable disks (or something).
- I worked around it using Ubuntu, but when I installed, only the first disk is bootable (e.a. when I remove te first disk no bootable partitions can be found.
Can you please advice:
- What is the best sollution for being able to boot degraded, and use flexible partitioning
- How should I configure this during installation
I'm looking forward to hearing from you...