Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RHEL Hangs/freezes

Dear all,

I am using RHEl-5.3 on my system. It was working fine since last week. Now suddenly on last Friday I faced this issue that my RHEL is getting freeze/hanged.

I tried to reload the RHEL but, still the issue persists. Suddenly it gets hanged for 5-10 mints and then works properly.

Prier to re installation ,when I was using the system after 10-15 minutes it was making an sound and I have to restart the system, but now after re installation the sound is no more there.

Basically the issue is system hang. I have checked the processes and services only the required services are running. Memory utilization is also quite good and the swap memory is almost free.

I am not getting any clue to this.

If anyone can help me out to find the root cause and solve the problem then effort would be really appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: RHEL Hangs/freezes

What happens if you boot into single user mode?

What messages if any are displayed around the time it hangs?

Try removing the rhgb and quiet off the end of the kernel boot line so you can see what is going on. (Had a similiar problem just now; it was selinux retargetting but without booting in text mode I didn't get any messages as to what was going on.)

(And RHEL? /me slowly checks the url of this forum and the title ... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I am able to enter into the single user mode and there it works f9 but system becomes very slow, I guess continuous use may hang the system there too.. I have not used for more than half an hour continuously.

leigh123linux Guest

Moved to Linux Chat as fedoraforum doesn't support Redhat.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you using RHEL or F9. (If F9 was supposed to be an abbreviation for fine, then please see the forum rules about using text speak--in addition, it tends to annoy people, causing them to competely ignore your posts.)

If you have RHEL5, generally, one has a support contract--that might be the best thing to do, start by calling them. There really isn't enough information in your post for anyone to really help. If the sound was a click at regular or random intervals, you may have a disk issue. Logs might give a clue, or possibly there was an update that broke something.

@Arimus, quite frequently, people do post RH or CentOS questions here--it's often a good place to get answers, actually, since these forums are much busier than CentOS, and some people here only use Fedora because their work requires them to use CentOS or RH.

However, it does go in Linux Chat as Leigh pointed out, since it's not Fedora. @the OP, don't feel badly though, many, many people do the same thing, since folks tend to think of Fedora and RH as being the same.