FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC5: Mouse detected but not visible after logon

Dear Fedora Community:

I have freshly installed FC5 this AM and everthing went well except for my mouse not being visible after logging on. The mouse cursor is visible during the initial boot phase. I managed to maneuvre around the screen ok, as the screen reacts to mouse-overs (thanks!), and even selecting a different mouse cursor doesn't help.

xorg.conf lists the mouse ok, and it obviously is working but is invisible!!

This is my first time using Fedora while I have some experience with Ubuntu (gnome 2.14) and SuSE (KDE 3.5.1) environments, and have never had a problem like this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a usb mouse or a ps/2 mouse? When you tried another mouse was it of a different kind?
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's complicated

I have an MS USB optical mouse connected to a KVM switch via PS/2 port adapter.

My computers (windows and Linux) see the mouse as a PS/2, as does Fedora; see below.

Here is a section of xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "ViewSonic A70"
    DisplaySize 320 240
    ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 180.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
    EndSection
    Thanks for your response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only remedy that I recall for USB mice is to disable any setting that looks like "legacy USB" in the BIOS setup. I 'm not likely to come up with anything better after further examination - but perhaps some other reader will. So let me ask you to clarify:

When you say that Linux sees the mouse s ps/2, does this mean that it is shown as ps/2 in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf or (if it is present) hal-device-manager? Or did you merely mean that xorg.conf defines it that way?

And have you tried a direct connection of either a USB or ps/2 mouse (not as a solution but as a diagnostic test)?
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt
    The only remedy that I recall for USB mice is to disable any setting that looks like "legacy USB" in the BIOS setup. I 'm not likely to come up with anything better after further examination - but perhaps some other reader will. So let me ask you to clarify:

When you say that Linux sees the mouse s ps/2, does this mean that it is shown as ps/2 in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf or (if it is present) hal-device-manager? Or did you merely mean that xorg.conf defines it that way?

And have you tried a direct connection of either a USB or ps/2 mouse (not as a solution but as a diagnostic test)?
    Here is the mouse section of hwconf:

class: MOUSE
    bus: PSAUX
    detached: 0
    device: input/mice
    driver: generic3ps/2
    desc: "ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse"
    As I said in my original post, the mouse seems to work ok, even the wheel; I just can't see a mouse pointer and am only able to visually detect mouse-overs or else I wouldn't know were the mouse was. It just seems to me that if I could reconfigure the mouse (I understand this module has been dropped in FC5, or so I was led to believe) I might be able to solve this.

Could it be my video setup? I understand from another post that there is some new animated mouse cursor that some are having difficulties with..

Anyway, thanks for staying with me!

P.S. I tried running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver xorg", which I used in Ubuntu to reconfigure my graphical desktop, mouse and keyboard, but it doesn't seem to work in FC5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A random guess:
    Some video cards recognize a configuration line like:
    Option " hw_cursor"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I googled "hw_cursor" and was somewhat enlightened.

I believe my problem is related to FC5 not correctly i.d.ing my video card; is actually a Gforce 6100 onboard, not PCI-e.

Anyway, I plugged the "hw_cursor" option in xorg.conf; rebooted; and crashed.

I rebooted init 3; removed the option and restarted x and all was well!! Now I have a cursor!

FC5 must have got stuck somewhere during the initial hw detection/config.

Happy Trails!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raised false hope ;(

Lost my cursor again after reboot.

Will keep trying; maybe give a go at installing the nvidia driver; seems to be related to the video card. Why in FC5 and not in ubuntu/kubuntu, suse?

Instdude Guest
    mouse pointer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem and it seems several other people have it as well. Check out this thread, it's number 6 on the list right now. This thread may move depending on what gets posted ahead of it.

http://search.gmane.org/?query=mous...at.fedora.devel

It seems that people with nvidia drivers are having this problem but the developers are working on it.

If anyone finds a fix before an official fix is out I would like to know.

Instdude Guest
    Ok. that link didn't work for me. Try this one!

http://search.gmane.org/?query=mouse...t.fedora.devel

leeeooon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wjp
    Anyway, I plugged the "hw_cursor" option in xorg.conf; rebooted; and crashed.
    Hi!

where exactly did you plug it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the device: video card section:

Code:
    Option     "hw_cursor" "true"
    But I understand that it's a problem related to not having an up-to-date nvidia 8178 driver available to the kernel. I may attempt to compile my own, or just wait and see if it materializes in some future kernel.

leeeooon Guest
    I've put the line inot xorg.conf. No efect at all
    I'm also using mobo with GeForce 6100 so it could be the reason.
    I've tried to solve the problem by installing new nForce drivers from nVidia page and the newest xorg.conf from fedora updates repo. It didn't help.
    Maybe installing drivers for the graphic will help. I'll post here if I make any progress.

joepotter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wjp
    Dear Fedora Community:

I have freshly installed FC5 this AM and everthing went well except for my mouse not being visible after logging on. The mouse cursor is visible during the initial boot phase. I managed to maneuvre around the screen ok, as the screen reacts to mouse-overs (thanks!), and even selecting a different mouse cursor doesn't help.

xorg.conf lists the mouse ok, and it obviously is working but is invisible!!

This is my first time using Fedora while I have some experience with Ubuntu (gnome 2.14) and SuSE (KDE 3.5.1) environments, and have never had a problem like this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

I have tried at least 8 different distros with several different types of mouse on this box and only FC5 gives me an invisible cursor.

Perhaps it is a new feature? :-)

I have a bioStar board called GeForce 6100-M7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HWCursor

Hi,

I had the same problem in FC5 (x64) . Adding the line Option "HWCursor" "false" to /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to solve the problem for me.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
    Option "HWcursor" "false"

I hope this helps.
    -
    HP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast