FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    swing Guest

WINE - which version to install?

Hi,

On my friends FC4 machine (x86) he can install the latest version (0.9.5) of WINE from the extrs repos. I've seen comments in these forums that say the best version for AMD64 is the athlon version at winehq.com, but the latest FC4 rpm version there is 0.9.2 I also note that on sourceforge, there is a 0.9.5 tar.gz available.

Which version should I install? I'm looking to run 1 or 2 apps under WINE, so I don't necessarily need a version that is the fastest when used on an AMD64 setup, but I would like to have a version that is kept upto date by yum...

Can I (for example) set Yum Extender to i386 architecture (via a second profile) and just use that to keep it up to date?

Thanks

fozner Guest
    I've had the most luck with wine 0.9.3. The later versions are problematic with some of my apps, particularly games, due to opengl and mmap development in progress. If you don't use opengl games go with .9.5 or the latest CVS and test away. Or do what I do and build several versions of wine without installing.

./configure && make depend && make (no make install)

You can now run wine from the source tree of non-installed wine, like so:

/home/myusername/sources/wine-0.9.3/wine programname.exe
    /home/myusername/sources/wine-0.9.4/wine programname.exe
    /home/myusername/sources/wine-0.9.5/wine programname.exe

swing Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fozner
    The later versions are problematic with some of my apps, particularly games, due to opengl and mmap development in progress. If you don't use opengl games go with .9.5 or the latest CVS and test away.
    Thanks - for the moment I forced Yum Extender to i386 and installed 0.9.5 (I note that the comments of the package mention it is suitable for x86 and x86_64 - so why is it not in the x86_64 Extras repos??!?)

I'm only interested in running a proprietary Windows app (the closest it gets to graphics are a row of icons!) as I move completely over to FC4, so I will test this and see how well it works.

Thanks for the response.

You might want to take a look at winetools.
    S.C.O.U.R.G.E. Heroes of lesser renown, contributor.

mase_linux Guest
    anyone seen the 0.9.5 rpm yet? i get errors when i try and build myself

Br0kan Guest
    I think they mention issues on the wine website about that

mase_linux Guest
    hmm.. well the only reason i'm interested is because when installing call of duty 2, i get an install error where it says "unhandled exception: object reference not set".. and supposedly the new release has updates to MSI installs.. ?

fozner Guest

Cool Wine CVS

I've been using wine from CVS today. Internet Explorer 6, Media Player 9 and World of Warcraft are all busted and won't work. So I made a couple of patches. Now everything works, even the web pages with the embedded media player!

http://comptune.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=54#54

Wine is undergoing heavy development and these patches could quit working, or (hopefully) become unnecessary on latest CVS.