BUG: spinlock lockup on CPU#0 swaper/0 C0301010 (Tainted :P)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Izkhandar Guest

Thumbs down BUG: spinlock lockup on CPU#0 swaper/0 C0301010 (Tainted :P)

Hello:

After some days "fighting" to configure FC4 on my new Gateway MX6124 (wireless and usb work now, sound is still not responding) I run through the problem in the Title.

The computer will randomly freeze and to press the off button for several secs is required to restart the pc. Trying to figure out whas was the problem I saw that the following error will be reported:

hdb: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01)

this comes several times and then

Device: /dev/hda, not found in smartd database.

(which I fear is a little ugly) with more lines of "drive appears confused". Then, switching from X to a non graphical terminal I found that the Title's error message is printed at the moment the pc freezes:

amongst several other lines that appear to be some kind of a kernel dump.

I searched the web (googled, yahoo-ed you name it) and only found a reference to the first error message in a debian forum, but no solutions or explanations whatsoever.

I recognize that more than a Laptop related problem this looks like a genuine kernel BUG of something (in nine years of running linux, I never found anything like this), but there is no Fedora -> Kernel forum, so lacking a better place I am posting this here in the hope that someone may have an idea.

I am running a FC4 fully updated, kernel 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4, the boot kernel line in my grub.conf is:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb acpi=strict acpi=noirq pci=biosirq acpi_dbg_layer=1 acpi_dbg_level=1 apic=debug pci=nosort irqpoll routeirq

Any leads, suggestions?

Izkhandar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izkhandar
    Hello:

After some days "fighting" to configure FC4 on my new Gateway MX6124 (wireless and usb work now, sound is still not responding) I run through the problem in the Title.

The computer will randomly freeze and to press the off button for several secs is required to restart the pc. Trying to figure out whas was the problem I saw that the following error will be reported:

this comes several times and then

Device: /dev/hda, not found in smartd database.

(which I fear is a little ugly) with more lines of "drive appears confused". Then, switching from X to a non graphical terminal I found that the Title's error message is printed at the moment the pc freezes:

amongst several other lines that appear to be some kind of a kernel dump.

I searched the web (googled, yahoo-ed you name it) and only found a reference to the first error message in a debian forum, but no solutions or explanations whatsoever.

I recognize that more than a Laptop related problem this looks like a genuine kernel BUG of something (in nine years of running linux, I never found anything like this), but there is no Fedora -> Kernel forum, so lacking a better place I am posting this here in the hope that someone may have an idea.

I am running a FC4 fully updated, kernel 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4, the boot kernel line in my grub.conf is:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb acpi=strict acpi=noirq pci=biosirq acpi_dbg_layer=1 acpi_dbg_level=1 apic=debug pci=nosort irqpoll routeirq

Any leads, suggestions?

Izkhandar
    The spinlock contention and the tainted messages indicate that you are using a proprietary third party kernel module. Unload it and check if the problem is reproducible. If it still does file a bug report in http://bugzilla.redhat.com. If not complain to the module vendor
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

Izkhandar Guest
    Rahul,

Thank you for your message. You gave me the only lead into this problem.

Well, that got to be the wireless driver I am using with ndiswapper, unloading it is bye, bye to the wireless card :-( . Is there anything one can do to prevent the problem? Probably something like custom compiling the Kernel? Do you have any ideas?

Izkhandar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul,

Thank you for your message. You gave me the only lead into this problem.

Well, that got to be the wireless driver I am using with ndiswapper, unloading it is bye, bye to the wireless card :-( . Is there anything one can do to prevent the problem? Probably something like custom compiling the Kernel? Do you have any ideas?

Izkhandar
    Havent been using ndiswrapper. Personally I would use a wireless card natively supported by Linux instead of compatibility hacks like ndiswrapper. Of course thats not a solution for everyone. You might want to unload the module and report the problem to bugzilla if its reproducible to corner down the issue.
    Rahul

Izkhandar Guest
    Well, It seems that the problem is not ndiswrapper.

I unloaded ndiswrapper, and still got the error:

it printed several times in my dmesg, and after a little while, the system froze. And this happened without ndiswrapper.

I also tried with a kernel using stacks of 16 (I tried this before, to see if it was that the wireless card driver was using stacks of 16) but it did not work, after a while the system freezes. Thas when I rebooted into the kernel 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4, unloaded ndiswrapper and still got a freeze.

Now I have no clue.

I will try to get the time to do the replication of the issue. Under which bugzilla should I report this? Kernel.bugzilla? It is there a Fedora.Bugzilla?

Izkhandar

Izkhandar Guest
    Oh, by the way, I am trying all this to be able to use the wireless card that comes with my Laptop, that's why I need to use a "compatibility hacks like ndiswrapper".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, It seems that the problem is not ndiswrapper.

I unloaded ndiswrapper, and still got the error:

it printed several times in my dmesg, and after a little while, the system froze. And this happened without ndiswrapper.

I also tried with a kernel using stacks of 16 (I tried this before, to see if it was that the wireless card driver was using stacks of 16) but it did not work, after a while the system freezes. Thas when I rebooted into the kernel 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4, unloaded ndiswrapper and still got a freeze.

Now I have no clue.

I will try to get the time to do the replication of the issue. Under which bugzilla should I report this? Kernel.bugzilla? It is there a Fedora.Bugzilla?

Izkhandar
    Fedora uses the Red Hat Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.redhat.com

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests
    Rahul

Izkhandar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram
    I have found something else. Clearly my problems are not hardware related, I booted up from a Knoppix cd and... guess what... everything works, and I get no "spinlock" error or "confused" drives or anything of the sort. Since Knoppix uses a 2.6.12 kernel, I tried Fedora's own 2.6.12 to see if that could solve my problems and... it won't even boot up?!?! Then it came to my mind... of course.. the secret is in Knopper's kernel configuration, why not to use a similar config and rebuild Fedora's kernel? Well, I tried that too, but the kernel won't build?!

Now, that really got me confussed.

Izkhandar Guest
    Well,

It took me a little while, but finally found a solution to my problem. As many may expect, I did tried searching the web for answers, but only found a few unlucky with the same or similar problem, but no answers. Rahul suggested it was a problem related to the use of some propietary software, probably ndiswrapper.... but that was not the reason, the problem started at ide. Even after removing completely ndiswrapper I had this problem, the truth is that I had it even before I installed ndiswrapper.

The message: hdb: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01) is not due to the use of a propietary module. That is the kernel having problems at the ide level.

This kind of problem has been reported in different places by a few unlucky since Fedora core 1. It showed up in Debian too.

I will lie if I say I found 'The" soluiton, what I found was a "work around" that not only solved the problem with the "drive appears confused" message, but also with the correct detection of all pci devices and in particular with the good working of the soundcard.

This is what I did, like in the old days, I downloaded a recend, vanilla, kernel, compiled it and installed it. Now there are no conflicts and the errors disapeared.

Right now I am running 2.6.15-rc5

So, if you, my good reader, are one of the unlucky ones, and have this wierd errors comming up, try this. Go to www.kernel.org and download the latest stable kernel, or if you are a little more adventurous, the most recent one :-). To compile the kernel you can base your configuration on Fedora's kernel. Extract from a recent Fedora kernel src.rpm one of the config files from the "configs" subdirectory. Copy such a config into your vanilla kernel sources dir as ".config" and run make oldconfig; [make xconfig]; make all; make install, etc. If you don't know how to, or have not done this kind of thing befoere, do not fear. You will be able to find very detailed instructions on how to compile a kernel elsewhere (for example, for fedora 4, at http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/releas...fc4/#sn-kernel, or at http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html).

I hope this helps,

Izkhandar.

dealmaker Guest
    I got the same problem too. I yum update every month, and I started to get the same error message from 1653 and 1656 kernels. Most of the time, I have to reboot couple times in order to boot up because of that spinlock error message that won't let system to continue.

I don't want to recompile kernel, I hope that next version fix it.

The funny thing is that the error message actually says BUG, and people say that this is definitely a bug...yeah...what make you think that?!

WoofDef Guest
    This kind of problem has been reported in different places by a few unlucky since Fedora core 1
    It seems possible to me that my problem http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94076
    is connected with this.

I might try compiling a vanilla kernel.

Does make me wonder whether there actually is any testing at all before a Fedora release, when an ide bug can persist for years and years. And I haven't forgotten that FC4 was released initially with a crook X server.

Basically, we are the testers (suckers?).

It showed up in Debian too.
    I could be wrong, but what's the bet Debian fixed it. It's not for no reason that the Debian-based distros are/will dominate the distro wars.

Nonetheless, out of sheer pigheaded stubbornness, I will prevail over this FC4 on my laptop. Then I should feel a bit better about FC4.
    Last edited by WoofDef; 2nd February 2006 at 03:10 PM.

WoofDef Guest
    This kind of problem has been reported in different places by a few unlucky since Fedora core 1
    It seems possible to me that my problem http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94076
    is connected with this.

Does make me wonder whether there actually is any testing at all before a Fedora release, when an ide bug can persist for years and years. And I haven't forgotten that FC4 was released initially with a crook X server.

Basically, we are the testers (suckers?). I've almost had enough.

It showed up in Debian too.
    What's the bet Debian fixed it. It's not for no reason that the Debian-based distros are/will dominate the distro wars. And the Fedora relative that is doing very well is CentOS (free and stable).

Nevertheless, out of sheer pigheaded stubbornness, I will prevail over this FC4 on my laptop. Maybe I can be won back to the Fedora fold.

dealmaker Guest
    yeah, it's crazy. When I just install FC4 from DVD, the x server is broken. When I move my mouse to the edge of the screen, the screen go crazy, it happened every time. I couldn't believe that any testers/developer with eyes couldn't see such bug. It's fixed in later versions. But still, how can they make a major release with such a obvious bug??

Quote Originally Posted by WoofDef
    is connected with this.

Basically, we are the testers (suckers?).

I could be wrong, but what's the bet Debian fixed it. It's not for no reason that the Debian-based distros are/will dominate the distro wars.

Nonetheless, out of sheer pigheaded stubbornness, I will prevail over this FC4 on my laptop. Then I should feel a bit better about FC4.

WoofDef Guest
    The only excuse I can possibly think of (in the case of my bug) is they'll say it's hardware or BIOS specific, which, since I have a laptop, for all I know might (?) be the case.

But that broken X server in early FC4 is very hard to understand. I know it's a community project and some tolerance is required, but from now on I regard Fedora as more analagous to debian unstable than (say) debian testing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have this problem with a fully updated 1656_FC4 kernel but I cannot get it to 'yum update' before it crashes.
    Am I totally screwed and a re-install the only option?
    Trying to load older kernels doesn't work either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast