Understanding Terms : Server
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    tgrier Guest

Understanding Terms : Server

Hello All.

I have been using FC3 for about a year now. I am a business man and started using it to get away from Windows. I use gnome and use FC as a user...

Anyway I got a new computer and now I have 4 in the house (3 fedora C3 and 1 winxp)

What I have is all of the drives mapped to each other for sharing. But I have 1 primary FC computer that I use.

I was interested in setting up one as a "server" .... although ... I am not sure.. if it would offer an advantange. Is it better to put all of your files on one machine as the "server" and then use another comp to access them?

I also pay a hosting company to host a personal/small business website ( I have 3 domain names going to 3 differernt "sites" but they all share the same space and bandwidth resources.... Is this something I can move to a homebased server?

I read this on the Fedora installation area.... but how to I work on the server if it does not install a graphical interface and I am unsure of how to use the command line (except for basic YUM and other commands? ...
    Can you point me to a place to further my education .. to read ?
    Thanks

Figure 5.1. Installation Type Screen

Personal Desktop

This is the default installation type. It provides a graphical working environment with an office suite, Internet applications and multimedia software.
    Workstation

This installation type includes the software installed on a Personal Desktop, and adds software for development and systems administration. Choose this installation type if you plan to compile software from source code.
    Server

This installation type provides network servers such as the Apache Web server and the Samba suite of services, and administration tools. This installation type provides no graphical environment by default.

Quote Originally Posted by tgrier
    I also pay a hosting company to host a personal/small business website ( I have 3 domain names going to 3 differernt "sites" but they all share the same space and bandwidth resources.... Is this something I can move to a homebased server?
    Yes, if your home ISP allows running services and gives you sufficient bandwith and reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgrier
    I read this on the Fedora installation area.... but how to I work on the server if it does not install a graphical interface and I am unsure of how to use the command line (except for basic YUM and other commands? ...
    You can add GUI tools to a server installation, or alternatively you can add server software to a desktop or workstation installation.