FC3 Sound not working
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    bub Guest

FC3 Sound not working

I just installed Fedora Core 3 and did all the updates. But I go to soundcard detection, and turn on speakers, and put volume control on high, but there is no sound...... I reboot, try again and still there is no sound........

(If any of you know how to fix this, can you explain in basic terms, I'm a newbie at Linux )

saphetiger Guest
    What does dmesg report back to you?

Also
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    Type in
    Code:
    alsamixer
    as root and make sure all the options are turned up and not mutted. Hit "m" to unmute/mute. And make sure you're running the latest kernel if you're not already.
    athlon 64 3700+ san diego | asus a8n5x | x1900xt | 1GB

Compaq Presario R3000 (DP533AV) | Athlon XP-M 2800+ | 512MB | 54g WLAN | Geforce4 MX 420 Go 32M | 40GB | 15.4" WXGA

run the MAKEDEV read this link .
    Last edited by shams; 14th August 2005 at 04:46 AM.

bub Guest
    Ok thanks for the quick replies

dmesg I didn't know what I was looking at, /sbin/lspci I still had no clue, alsamixer I did but the sound didn't work, shams your link didn't work, I recieved a 404 error.

hi,
    i am sorry fot that , now the links is woking, this link .

bub Guest
    Thank You bunches shams!!!!!

It works!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shams
    hi,
    i am sorry fot that , now the links is woking, this link .
    Thanks for tip.....I know that it was helpful to me too. BTW, my sound was working great and then ran yum updates and after that it muted my sound.

The tip was never necessary to do in my laptop until now...... I hope we are NOT being like windows after patching stuff get worst then before

rathed9 Guest
    Similar problem I guess. When I put FC3 on my desktop PC, I unmute the sound and it works. Unfortunately it ran kinda slow and clunky compared to the Mandrake I had up. So I bought a laptop for the FC and it fits like a glove....except sound. The closest I get is getting a buzzing staticy sound like some kind of repetitive loop, which is annoying. Reinstalled (because a dual boot with Ubuntu knocked my FC root off the system.) Now with 40 gb of Fedora, the first rpm command line install experience was a snap, everything nearly perfect but...no sound, no matter what I seem to do with Kmix, alsamixer (on command line) and the control center on KDE. The good news is, no staticy droning, bad news, nothing sonic at all. Not sure where to start with troubleshooting since the normal routes turn up nothing. What is the usual config for Kmix concerning input, output etc?