FC4: Kernel 2.6.12-1.1387 freezes, when accessing a movie DVD
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sascha Biermann Guest

Question FC4: Kernel 2.6.12-1.1387 freezes, when accessing a movie DVD

Dear all,

does anybody know a solution to fix this bug? With Kernel 2.6.11-1.1369, everything runs fine.

Kind regards,

Sascha

fedoraphile Guest
    You are not alone.

After switching to kernel 2.6.12-1.387_FC4 my system locks up & freezes every time I load a DVD, and I'm forced to reboot using the reset switch. This is the only problem I've experienced with the 2.6.12-1.387 kernel.

When I switched back to my earlier kernel 2.6.11-1.13.1369_FC4 everything works fine again.

Is this a kernel problem? If so, has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there any workarounds, other than switching back to an earlier kernel? If it has been reported as a kernel bug, where I can go for more information on this problem?

bit.shaker Guest
    welcome to the new kernel development scheme
    now seriously, After upgrading to the new FC4-2.6.12 kernel everything seems to work pretty well, except handling of cd/dvd ide drives. not only dvds cause the SYSTEM to stop responding (a real hard crash/kernel panic I can't tell). besides that, only audio cds are mounted automatically, data cds not ... even then, cd player seems to have problems starting playback.

In the updates-release notes regarding the new kernel was mentioned that some "ide-hacks" were taken out, my guess this is it ... same message told that it eventually be included again some time in the future ...

Unfortunately I dont know any way to solve this problem, except going back to last 2.11 FC4 kernel.

sorry not being able to help on this one, but there are probably more people out there having this issue, I had it almost hadnt noticed, because I use my cd-drives not that often....

I'd feel happy if someone could shed some more light on this one !

kind regards
    bit.shaker

smfinley Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Biermann
    Dear all,

does anybody know a solution to fix this bug? With Kernel 2.6.11-1.1369, everything runs fine.

Kind regards,

Sascha
    I can confirm this as well. When I try to open a DVD with Xine in Fedora Core 4 it completely freezes up with kernel 2.6.12-1.1387_FC4 i686 and I have to cycle power to my computer to reboot. It did not do this with the previous kernel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reported to Bugzilla many times:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=162347

The bug still exists with kernel-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4.

fedoraphile Guest
    Thanks for this helpful information, robatino. Until this bug is fixed, I guess a lot of FC4 users will be sticking with an earlier kernel.

fedoraphile Guest

DVD works with kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4 from Updates Repo

I'm happy to report that after installing kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4 from the Updates repository, I no longer have the problem with my system locking up & freezing every time I load a DVD.

Sascha Biermann Guest

Unhappy Lucky one!

Quote Originally Posted by fedoraphile
    I'm happy to report that after installing kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4 from the Updates repository, I no longer have the problem with my system locking up & freezing every time I load a DVD.
    I now tried the Kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4 too, but my prolem, so a kernel panic, when a movie DVD is inserted, still resist.

smfinley Guest
    With my Pentium 4 system kernel 2.6.12-1.1390_FC4 i686 still panics and locks up when I insert a DVD...no difference compared to previous kernel.

Sascha Biermann Guest
    Solved:
    After activating the development repository, I was able to install the kernel 2.6.12-1.1422_FC5 (!?), and - alas, after also installing gnome-pilot, pilot-link and evolution from the development, I am now able to play DVD's - and my Palm M505 and Sony Clie N-770 are able to synchronize with evolution.

So I must say: development ist for me the stable - and stable the bleeding edge :-)

Sascha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there NTFS support module for it yet? If not, earlier kernel for me. I too have been experiancing this, but only with CD-R in my DVD drive, I haven't tried a movie yet, but it completely locks up. I thought it was the CD since other CDs and DVDRs work fine, it just happened on one brand.
    Windows 7 x64 | Ubuntu | i7 920 | EVGA x58 E758 | HIS HD 6870 | 12GB RAM | 6TB Storage

bit.shaker Guest
    didn't work for me, problems stay the same ... looks like I'm gonna stick with 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 a bit longer ...

kind regards
    bit.shaker

smfinley Guest
    What I did was install the most recent kernel from Fedora testing and it seems to work. My DVDs play. Go to http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...esting/4/i386/ and download kernel-2.6.12-1.1394_FC4.i686.rpm, kernel-devel-2.6.12-1.1394_FC4.i686.rpm, and kernel-doc-2.6.12-1.1394_FC4.noarch.rpm. Drag them from your desktop into your home folder. Do "su", password, and then "rpm -ivh *.rpm". You can remove the other kernels if you wish by following http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-remove/ (It works for FC4 as well as FC3).

stmiller Guest
    looks like I'm gonna stick with 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 a bit longer ...

Same here.

stmiller Guest
    Seems to be fixed with the just released updated kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4. No problems so far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast