Is this a big Deal?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    ziro_axis Guest

Is this a big Deal?

After 10 years of experince in windows; I'm puting my 1st steps on the real way to change to the Linux "don't ask why", actually this is giving me some power of happyness, but no body can throw this experince behind in one day.
    this lets me ask some qustions which is in general some kind of comparison between Linux and windows.
    This is;
    - windows has a registry, so did linux has it and where?
    - windows can run batch files so can linux run them too, if not what is the compatible files which can be run under linux and do the same job.
    - when you want to access the C or D partations you must mount them 1st, but could this be automatically done and give access permition to the other users on the same computer.
    - how to locat the other users in the network and share files with them.
    - where to find the list of all the linux commands used.

This is not all, but enough till now.

thanks a lot for your time

v01dad3p7 Guest
    After 10 years of experince in windows; I'm puting my 1st steps on the real way to change to the Linux "don't ask why", actually this is giving me some power of happyness, but no body can throw this experince behind in one day.
    this lets me ask some qustions which is in general some kind of comparison between Linux and windows.
    This is;
    - windows can run batch files so can linux run them too, if not what is the compatible files which can be run under linux and do the same job.
    - when you want to access the C or D partations you must mount them 1st, but could this be automatically done and give access permition to the other users on the same computer.

This is not all, but enough till now.

thanks a lot for your time
    I know nothing of a Linux registry.

ahh batch files. Actually Linux has shell scripts which can be made to work like a batch file, a classic example of a shell script is running the fortune program when you login to display a fortune at the prompt.. AWK is one way to code shell scripts.

all partitions that are automounted at boot are stored in the file /etc/fstab.

not sure about file sharing.

You can find a stored manual for every command using the man command. there is a GUI(graphical user interface) for this that lists the commands in sections known as "xman" that is a good place to start.

bytesniper Guest
    no. linux does not have a registry. i suppose the /etc dir can be very loosely associated with it.

all a batch file is is a script and yes linux has Bash (among others) scripting which in my opinion (using both languages), Bash is a ton more powerful that batch.

of couse. this is usually always done for you automatically by the Fedora installer (anaconda)

if the other users are using windows then you can use Samba which is an implementation of the microsoft windows networking protocol for *nix. it usally works seamlessly. it can also be easily configured to browse windows network shares through kde or gnome. if you looking for other *nix/mac machines you can use NFS (Network File System) which is supported natively.

there are a ton. if you just need basic commands this google search will turn up many pages that outline them for you.

hope this helps
    Last edited by bytesniper; 25th June 2005 at 11:53 AM.

ghaefb Guest
    Moved to General Support.

ziro_axis Guest
    thank you Bytesniper
    but u only answer me in general way i need more explintion, even links for help.
    i know about google, but it is not 100% useful

nUnpunk Guest
    for a "list of linux commands" and an overview of how to create scripts here is the koolest link:

http://www.linuxcommand.org/

It will put you in the drivers seat.

You have to understand that to seek a "list of linux commands used" is a bit meaningless. Apart from some 10-20 simple commands that you use regularly (eg the ls, cd, cp, rm mkdir, rmdir commands) the rest are too many to even think of listing and depend on what you have installed in the first place).

Go to the link. And study study!!!
    Last edited by nUnpunk; 25th June 2005 at 01:00 PM.

ziro_axis Guest
    thanks nUnpunk

Jessehk Guest
    here is a fantastic link.

512 commands, with syntax, options, and descriptions.

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/linux/cmd/

bytesniper Guest
    but u only answer me in general way i need more explintion, even links for help.
    i know about google, but it is not 100% useful
    google is the most useful thing on the net, just need to learn how to talk to it

kcpavan Guest
    yep "bytesniper"..I agree...lets keep a name for it.."Googlish"..how is it? :-)

bytesniper Guest
    LOL.. nice.. or googlese....or engoogle.. heheh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For commands, you can also use the man pages, or type commandname --help
    This is much faster then googling every time. The --help doesn't give much info, but man does.
    Registered Linux user number 389291

Laptop: Nec Versa p550, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1024MB ram, x300, 80 GB HD, bluetooth, 2915BG Wlan card
    Desktop: Amd Athlon x2 4200+, 2GB ram, Geforce 7300GT 512MB silent, 160GB HD in a nice centurion 534 case :cool: