FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    vzero Guest

Unhappy why are there so many update packages every day?

is FC4 really released?so many update everyday.

dnar Guest
    Because unlike Redmond, the Fedora Project enjoys continual improvement, corrections, bug fixes and critical updates. Would you prefer monthly fixes?

Quote Originally Posted by vzero
    is FC4 really released?so many update everyday.
    This is one of those fundamental misunderstandings that should be covered in the FAQ, but isn't.

You will find that many of these packages are developed by independant groups not associated with Fedora. When a new feature is added or a bug is fixed, an update is released to the repositories.

Fedora is also continuously updating and improving their software. As such, they will release an update whenever a new feature is added or a bug is fixed. This does not make FC4 'less ready for release'.

While we're comparing to Windows, don't forget that there were dozens of updates on Windows Update immediately after Win98,Win2k,WinXP was released.

m2c,
    Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

even with a ADSL line it takes me almost an hour and a half to download (just download, not install) w2k fixes, patches, fixes for the patches, patches for the fixes, for a fresh w2k install.

and that doesn't include all the time installing and rebooting and installing and rebooting

fibbleuk Guest
    Also many of the bugfixes for Linux software is along the lines of "Fixed a possible buffer overflow exploit that was possible if a bulgarian squirrel farted on your monitor during X11 start-up"

i.e. Obscure issues that didnt really threaten anybody, but were fixed promptly anyway.

Unlike MS who rarely find flaws in their own software and issue very belated fixes to the ones the rest of us discover (if at all)
    Last edited by fibbleuk; 23rd June 2005 at 05:25 PM.

komi Guest
    You also should not forget:
    Windows is just an Operating System. when you install windows,
    you have nearly no software installed on it.
    When you install a Linux Distro (e.g. Fedora) you get an OS
    plus many many many applications already installed out of the box.

So the updates are also for these applications, not only for the OS

Quote Originally Posted by fibbleuk
    Also many of the bugfixes for Linux software is along the lines of "Fixed a possible buffer overflow exploit that was possible if a bulgarian squirrel farted on your monitor during X11 start-up"

i.e. Obscure issues that didnt really threaten anybody, but were fixed promptly anyway.

Unlike MS who rarely find flaws in their own software and issue very belated fixes to the ones the rest of us discover (if at all)
    This touches on one of the truly superior aspects of the GNU/Linux philosophy.

Because applications are developed by communities of developers and distributed in source form. Anyone who encounters a bug can not only report it, but if they are so inclined, can read through the source to find and repair the bug, then submit a patch.

Programming errors, bugs and poor programming practices are weeded out very efficiently. Resulting in better and more stable software for everyone. It is also virtually impossible for an open-source developer to include any form of malicious code (trojans, spyware, viruses, adware, etc) because the source is there for all to see.

m2c,
    Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Re: why are there so many update packages every day?

There appears to be an issue with the GUI updater in Fedora 27. I finally ran dnf update as root from a terminal and had 540 updates to apply

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Re: why are there so many update packages every day?

Did you notice that this thread is 13 years old? Your post deserves it's own thread, not ancient history. So, I'll close this and you can post again on your own thread.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.