FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ug is offline Retired Community Manager

Official Fedora Core 4 Installation Guide

You can find the official Fedora Core Installation guide here. It explains every step and every possible option in the installation process (for x86 at least).

If your new to Fedora Core, its worth giving it a read before installing.

Thanks,

The Installation Guide is also available for download as a compressed file (.tar.gz):

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora...uide-en.tar.gz

Please note that this file is 4.2MB (compressed).

If people have comments, suggestions (or even corrections ) then please either add them to the Bugzilla entry:

http://tinyurl.com/9t266

Or send a mail to fedora-docs-list.

We can substitute text sections to produce multiple variations of this document, so an Installation Guide for PPC awaits only a volunteer to help write PPC sections.
    Last edited by elliss; 24th August 2005 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Updated with link to download version

Is there a tar file of the html pages? Dial up user that prefers to read doc offline.

Thanks

Not at the moment, but I'll raise this and see what we can do to offer it in that format.

Those blessed with broadband can check out the source for the install-guide module from our CVS repository and build it:

http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/

Unfortunately this also includes many Mb of extra files not needed for the final HTML pages.

Well done. This should help a lot of people.

Jason
    There is no 'CTRL' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

When I try to install Fedora Core 4 in graphic mode, the install process hanged. Anyone can point out what may be the problem? Thanks for any suggestions ~~

Quote Originally Posted by howsuper
    When I try to install Fedora Core 4 in graphic mode, the install process hanged. Anyone can point out what may be the problem? Thanks for any suggestions ~~
    Hardware probelm
    try to check your GraphicCARD...etc
    maybe CD has something wrong.
    Last edited by ahsien; 29th June 2005 at 01:12 PM.

But if I install Linux 8 in graphic mode, it's ok. I have tested the CDs also, and they should be also. Any ideas would be highly appreciated, thanks!

Hi everybody,

I have a question/problem installing Fedora. It does not matter which core. Thy all have the same problem.

Iím installing Fedora in a Dual PIII PC (ECS D6VAA). Everything works fine except the network connection. The funny thing is that if I choose to boot with the single processor Kernel the network connection works fine and I can browse The Internet, see the other computer on the network, etc.
    Now, with the SMP Kernel it is impossible to activate the network card (NIC). Anybody knows where is the mystery?
    Thanks.

I think I have try every possible thing in this machine that works perfectly fine with other operating systems (SMP) and the network connection works fine with them. Iím talking about Windows (2k,XP, NT) and Mandrake Linux 10.2

Yes, Iím new to Linux

If someone has any idea of how solve this problem please, e-mail me or use MSN Messenger. My address is jregueral@hotmail.com

Thanks again

Finally fedora has an official installation guide....any suggestions will be given if needed.

BTW, it needs to be added to the link section for easy access.
    Last edited by imdeemvp; 7th July 2005 at 04:26 AM.

How do I unsubscribe this site? I have an unsolved problem and my inbox is full of no sense e-mails from people on this site. This is annoying!

FC4 - Dual Core Opteron - Supermicro motherboard

We have some new machines that we are having a REALLY difficult time getting to install.

They are Supermicro Motherboards with dual 265 dual core opterons and Adaptec aar81xx SATA raid controllers.

We have been able to install FC3 x86-64 from the online distribution using the aar81xx-6.00.076a-1.fc3x86_64.x86_64.img for the disk driver when running the linux dd install option to install the disk driver.

The installation seems to complete without issue, but when rebooting the machine to the smp kernel the machine kernel panics and if we select the non-smp kernel it hans when setting up the swap space.

We have tried numerous different distributions including the FC3 x86 and x86-54 installations without success.

We are looking for a FC4 driver for the aar81xx driver but no luck.

If ANYONE has had any success with FC4 and the new dual core opterons on the Supermicro motherboards I would love to know how you got them to work.

Thanks for your help,

J

similar situation, but found something that works

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. Tried to get Fedora Core 3/4 working with this system, however, could not get the drivers that they make available to work.

I just tried Whitebox Linux 4 - 64bit (same as RHEL4-64bit) and used the drivers available on the Supermicro website, it actually DETECTED the RAID0 configuration!! Which is a start since I was never able to get any of the other Linux distributions to see them in the first place.

I've only just tried it, now currently tryin to d/l the rest of the ISOs (only d/l disc 1 incase it didn't work and was wasting my time). I'll let you know if there's any results.

Cheers,

Azz.

Quote Originally Posted by gmp
    We have some new machines that we are having a REALLY difficult time getting to install.

They are Supermicro Motherboards with dual 265 dual core opterons and Adaptec aar81xx SATA raid controllers.

We have been able to install FC3 x86-64 from the online distribution using the aar81xx-6.00.076a-1.fc3x86_64.x86_64.img for the disk driver when running the linux dd install option to install the disk driver.

The installation seems to complete without issue, but when rebooting the machine to the smp kernel the machine kernel panics and if we select the non-smp kernel it hans when setting up the swap space.

We have tried numerous different distributions including the FC3 x86 and x86-54 installations without success.

We are looking for a FC4 driver for the aar81xx driver but no luck.

If ANYONE has had any success with FC4 and the new dual core opterons on the Supermicro motherboards I would love to know how you got them to work.

Thanks for your help,

J

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast