Issue with Samba in FC4
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Elegy Guest

Thumbs down Issue with Samba in FC4

This is not an FC4 specific issue, I have seen it in other distributions with Samba versions after 3.0.8.

In a mixed local network, you can see the Windows machine shares from Linux machines but you can't see the Linux machine shares from Windows machines. I used exactly the same setup as I have used in FC3 - which works perfectly in FC3. As I inidcated above, I have had the same issue with every distribution [that I have tried] that comes with a version of Samba later than 3.0.8.

kg4cbk Guest
    You have opened your firewall on the linux box (137,138,139,445)?

Have you configured sambas configuration file so it is in the right workgroup and is not fighting with other systems on the network for domain controller?

dvanderb Guest

SELinux....

I had a problem where I could see the shares in windows.. but could not access them.. and it was because of SELinux. I disabled SELinux protection for samba and everything magically worked.

Elegy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4cbk
    You have opened your firewall on the linux box (137,138,139,445)?

Have you configured sambas configuration file so it is in the right workgroup and is not fighting with other systems on the network for domain controller?
    Yes to all of the above. I used exactly [as in copied] the same Samba setup. While trying it out I even disabled the firewall just in case there was a port that I missed.

Elegy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dvanderb
    I had a problem where I could see the shares in windows.. but could not access them.. and it was because of SELinux. I disabled SELinux protection for samba and everything magically worked.
    I had no problem accessing Windows shares from Linux. The issue was with accessing Linux shares from Windows.

Elegy Guest

To make it clear

Perhaps I should make things a bit clearer.

I already have FC3 running on a box in my network and there are no issues with sharing, in either direction, between FC3 and Windows machines. The problem that I have is with any distribution that comes with a version of Samba after 3.0.8