FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Calling Fedora Quits... and moving back to XP or Tiger...

I am officially fed up with fedora and this and that works and this and that don't work... I expected since FC4T3 worked perfectly on my system that FC4 would too... How wrong I was...

I like Linux, but I have had some real headaches with it... I like ubuntu and of all the Linux's I used it works best, but it wasn't as perfect as FC4T3 was... As of right now, I am calling fedora ancient history, because RedHat has never made a perfect linux distro...

I have always enjoyed the super computer powers of the G5s running Panther and seen glimps of Tiger, heck that was why I brought an AMD64 system... But now I am going back to only using two OSs Windows and Tiger... Maybe Ubuntu...
    Later...
    Aurora...

Knowledge is Power and Power you are going to need to be a computer programmer.

funny guy!

That's the great thing about choice. No one is twisting any arms to make you use a certain distribution. Thank goodness there are hundreds of distributions, with no charge to let you try and use them.

What it means is that the average user will still be having problems with Linux and much much more work remains to be done. As nice as up2date and yum and rpm are, there's still dependency hell that Windows doesn't have.

For the average user, if the entirety of an FC3 DVD is installed (all 6GB+) then most of what they want to do with be ready to rock and roll. Heaven help them if they want to do things that aren't preloaded.

I salute the folks who host repositories for yum and up2date who are making dependency hell less every year. I only hope the other people who influence architecture get around to coming up with a much tighter and more standardized structure someday.
    :q while you're ahead!
    The M isn't missing from BSD, it's implied by default...
    Dual booting FC3 and WinXP very happily on a Dell 8200...

here is some one else that is an editor for a mag that happens to agree with me about linux and its rapid development cycle and the piece of crap that they give you calling it stable... Please read the article for more info...

Is Linux for Losers? - Forbes.com
    Later...
    Aurora...

From Dark_Knight, OSNews comment:

A few of the authors comments that indicate he's both biased and what I would say is an idiot.

"the gist being that BSD guys are a lot like Linux guys, except they have kissed girls."

What a lame ass comment.

"Linux gets support from big hardware makers like Hewlett-Packard (nasdaq: HPQ - news - people ) and IBM (nyse: IBM - news - people ), which he says have turned Linux hackers into an unpaid workforce."

Sorry but that's excluded developers such as Novell and Red Hat who do pay programmers for their work. As per the GNU/GPL they shouldn't have to pay for open source code but they are required to give back to the Linux community any additional improvements they make to an open source project, which they do.

"Unlike Linux, which is a clone of Unix"

What? First of all "Linux" is not a clone of Unix. SCO has been unsuccessful in court at proving Linux has any Unix code. Linux may be Unix like but that doesn't mean it's a clone (copy) of Unix. Also this comment basically generalizes all Linux OS are the same which they are not. While RPM based distributions use the same Linux commands there are distributions that differ with the tools/software offered.

"I think our code quality is higher, just because that's really a big focus for us,"

Umm...right. That's why fortune 500 companies choose either Windows or a Linux distribution to use in their workplace. Besides web design companies and a few advertising companies I haven't seen a lot of OSX being used in the workplace. Where as with most typical companies Windows is the major player on the desktop (Linux typically on the server end). Windows influence is decreasing with the advances Linux has made globally and is now appearing more attractive as an alternative when compared to Windows or OSX. With post-production (visual effects, etc) studios Linux is the major player (desktop and server). Examples of films made with the help of Linux are Lord Of The Rings, Spiderman, Hulk, Star Wars, T3, etc.

"De Raadt says his crack 60-person team of programmers, working in a tightly focused fashion and starting with a core of tried-and-true Unix, puts out better code than the slapdash Linux movement."

60 people..wow that's seems like a lot to a reader who is unfamiliar with software developement. Let's compare that to the several thousand developers around the world contributing to open source software developement or major companies such as Novell and Red Hat who contribute their resources as well. The author also failed to mention LSB certification which promotes standards or mention that developers such as Novell, Red Hat and Mandriva (formally Mandrakesoft) are certified members. http://www.linuxbase.org/

"There's also a difference in motivation. "Linux people do what they do because they hate Microsoft. We do what we do because we love Unix,"

Linux users who are former Windows users didn't necessarily switch because they "hate" Microsoft. They switched for several reasons (ie: vendor lock-in, spyware, viruses, late fixes, etc). The reason why Sun or Apple are typically not attractive are vendor lock-in or less support for software. For example Apple recently announced their plans to run OSX on Intel processors but to restrict OSX to hardware they sell. Also studios cannot run some software such as XSI from Softimage on OSX. There's other reasons but I'm sure you all get my point.

For help on understanding Linux alternatives for software see here http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=53452

For those who believe "one click install" or having a user friendly Control Center is not available on Linux distributions try LiveDVD (demo runs off the DVD drive) for SuSE Linux Professional 9.3 ( [url]http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/index.html?sourcei...] ), Mandriva Linux ( http://www.mandriva.com/ ), Linspire (Debian based http://linspire.com/ ).

As for TCO, etc concerns over issues such as Microsoft's FUD campaign please feel free to read http://www.novell.com/linux/truth/
    I completely agree with him. The guy doesn't know ***** about open source. Now stop trolling and go back to whatever OS you were using before.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out

quiter.

You two just proved a point to me and a friend that said that he don't like these forums because the people treat you, a person that is a certified RedHat Technican and Security Admin, like crap if you have problems and go to these forums to solve the problem... Thats just great, now I own him 10 cent (a dime to you jurks)... And I probably think that since all this hype about fedora is out there FC might have some trouble and some of you might have to eat your own words...
    Later...
    Aurora...

Maybe if you had tell us your problem(s) we would have helped you dude, but noooo, you just whinned about how linux is crap... What did you expected? That we would have said, "yes, of course it's crap, that why we like it so much!"

Que??????????????????????

This is insane!!!!

The people here are pretty friendly.

You just ned to remember to ask your questions politely
    I Was Counted! Registered Linux User #384707

BASH && Beer && Bass! Now THAT makes sense!!

jim is offline Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds
    Quote Forrest Gump
    " Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Registered Linux User: #376813
    Western NY
    My linux site
    Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?

This forum is great, I have found more help here than every other Linux forum I have been to combined. I moderate on an automotive forum, and the traffic here and attitude about helping people is like ours, minimal (if any flaming), prompt accurate responses and extra troubleshooting if suggestions don't work the first time.

You second post in this thread says that you don't know enough about it to make any kind of judgement call. "I can't figure it out, it sucks, wha wha wha, I want some milk and cookies". Not trying to be a dick or anything, but really, if you want to use Windows, have fun, but no reason to bash something, just gracefully exit stage left.

here is one of many I had asked

The others thanks to your AMD64 forum are farther out into history because you delete stuff...

AND I OF ALL PEOPLE AIN'T WHINING... I just am tired of this going, and when I go and file bug reports, they don't solve them, I am usually the one that finds a work around...

Cool and Calm now... I like linux and the other OS's out there because I learnt to tolerate them, but linux, in general, is a little difficult to tolerate because apparently most of you all systems work perfectly, right? Well, after install linux on my AMD64 system only about have the stuff I check to install (fedora and the anaconda checking or ubuntu and synaptic marking) actually works...

I am not in experienced, but why doesn't it work on an OEM Gateway like it does on other systems...
    Later...
    Aurora...

So there was one question you posted that no one answered to?

Big deal!

This forum wan't built just to service your needs

If you hate linux so much, and would rather use BSD, go ahead.

Just don't make threads about how much you hate linux, and push the queries of people who actually have genuine problems back to the 3rd or forth page of 'new posts',

If you can't get along with Fedora, I'd lokve to see you get along with BSD
    I Was Counted! Registered Linux User #384707

BASH && Beer && Bass! Now THAT makes sense!!

Quote Originally Posted by tejas
    If you can't get along with Fedora, I'd lokve to see you get along with BSD
    But dude, the creator of it said it was WAY better than Linux, so duh, it has to be good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast