<---- template headericclude ----->
Kernel Panic installing FC4? - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    dagger Guest
    me too. the media is fine (CDs are fine). I wonder whether FEDORA needs some additional resources, like disk space ?
    Doyou what the requirements are for pre installation ?

Ricky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lab3e
    I'm getting a kernel panic, too, during an initial install on a brand new HP 3.4Ghz P4 with 512MB and a SATA 250GB drive.

After I press "enter" to begin graphical-mode install, about a page of stuff goes by ending with:

RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
    VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(
    [<c01201eb] .... blah blah blah

Nothing I try in the way of linux options changes that result. I've seen discussions of this sort of problem elsewhere on the web, but I can't make heads or tails of it. The sha1sum looks find on the CD Disk 1 and I never get any farther than that. In fact, I had to reboot about 6 times just to type in this message because the kernel panic scrolls its own error message off the top of the screen and I don't have my camera with me.

Exactly the same problem here ... I have a P4 3Ghz , 80G SATA and all INTEL hardware (video, board, nic, sound...)

Ricky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lab3e
    I'm getting a kernel panic, too, during an initial install on a brand new HP 3.4Ghz P4 with 512MB and a SATA 250GB drive.

After I press "enter" to begin graphical-mode install, about a page of stuff goes by ending with:

RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
    VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(
    [<c01201eb] .... blah blah blah

Nothing I try in the way of linux options changes that result. I've seen discussions of this sort of problem elsewhere on the web, but I can't make heads or tails of it. The sha1sum looks find on the CD Disk 1 and I never get any farther than that. In fact, I had to reboot about 6 times just to type in this message because the kernel panic scrolls its own error message off the top of the screen and I don't have my camera with me.
    Here's my screenshot, same thing for you ?

http://ricky.homelinux.org/boot.jpg

Pzykotic Guest
    I'm getting a similar error, just a different reason. I'm going to try to get my digital camera cooperating on my laptop and take a snapshot of my desktops panic error. It has something to do with the secondary disk and being unable to access it, then GTK/PYTHON report some kind of weird panic and then the system basically shuts down. I'll try to be more "helpful" and post an image in about 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about this?
    http://www.linuxin.dk/pictures/cimg1244.jpg
    some one reported that due to syslinux bug, one cannot boot from ISO. But they can use grub or grub for dos to boot vmlinuz and initrd.img in the boot media then the installation process could go as usual.

lab3e Guest
    Hi Ricky,

Yes, your screen shot looks EXACTLY like what I see. It's deja vu all over again. I hope that someone can figure out why we're seeing that sequence.

jettavito Guest
    Try getting it from another mirror.

Pzykotic Guest
    No joy getting my digital camera to work properly on my laptop. Basically, the error is related to the drive itself and that the root enviroment can't probe it (not exactly sure). I'm pretty sure I'm getting one of the two/three errors people here are getting - I'm just not sure of the exact wording.

I'll try to get the release from another mirror, but the media seems to be fine since it passed the mediatest just fine. I really wish I had four blank CDs here somewhere =(

Ricky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzykotic
    No joy getting my digital camera to work properly on my laptop. Basically, the error is related to the drive itself and that the root enviroment can't probe it (not exactly sure). I'm pretty sure I'm getting one of the two/three errors people here are getting - I'm just not sure of the exact wording.

I'll try to get the release from another mirror, but the media seems to be fine since it passed the mediatest just fine. I really wish I had four blank CDs here somewhere =(

I tried with the cd's too and i received the same error. All media PASSED the test.... I hope i will get FC4 working before FC5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here was my fix.. As strange as it sounds...

When I booted up my computer from the DVD.. I typed mediacheck, it would give me an error, I then typed linux mediacheck and everything worked find... I'm using FC4 now...

If I just typed linux mediacheck first I would get the same error 'kernel panic' ..

For some strange reason it only works if I type mediacheck first then linux media check...

I have installed FC4 twice this way... Hope others find this helpfull...

Ricky Guest
    Damn!! it works

I typed "mediacheck" first , then it says Can't load image mediacheck then i typed "linux mediacheck" and it pass!!! ... Installing FC4 right now

Thanks!!

jsharper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by schlongsalami

When I booted up my computer from the DVD.. I typed mediacheck, it would give me an error, I then typed linux mediacheck and everything worked find... I'm using FC4 now...

If I just typed linux mediacheck first I would get the same error 'kernel panic' ..

For some strange reason it only works if I type mediacheck first then linux media check...

Ok, so I'm sitting here with a server i just built this afternoon. Intel D915GAGLK motherboard with latest BIOS. 3 SATA hdd's. 2gig ram (512x4). pata ide cdrom. that's it. pretty standard system. Same problem as you guys -- kernel panic immediately after booting off the FC4 disc1 or the FC4 rescue cd. I was getting really frustrated trying everything (bios settings, pulling some ram out, even tried an old pci vid card).

Your fix works! I just have to type some nonsense first on the grub boot line, get the error, then hit enter to load the normal installer and I don't get the panic!

nutz..

but thanks!

edit:
    I hope it doesn't have the same problem booting once it is installed.... this problem gives me an uneasy feeling about using FC4 on here.
    Last edited by jsharper; 14th June 2005 at 04:08 AM.

kazoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by schlongsalami

thanks, schlongsalami
    it works like a charm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

See if this is related to your problem

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=159026

Rahul
    Red Hat Inc

beyaz Guest
    I got the same problem with FC3 and now with FC4. I dont know if there is any solution. No problem with FC2 (but drive gometry). I will install FC2 again. I dont know if I will be able to install FC4 or not...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast