Fedora Core 3 System Freezes
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Ghent Guest

Question Fedora Core 3 System Freezes (because of audio cd in hdc?)

I am a technical person, but not a linux expert. My fedora core 3 machine frequently will completely lock up and the only solution is to power cycle. I have made many changes to my system since it was stable, most notably upgrading to the latest kernel, installing a RaLink wireless card, and reconfiguring yum. I have been through everything in /var/log and nothing jumped out at me. The only thing I noticed is the following message in root's mail for Log Watch. Any assistance on how I could start diagnosing or resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Linux shire 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 #1 Thu Apr 7 19:23:49 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------

WARNING: Kernel Errors Present
    Error: Illegal request...: 7 Time(s)
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector...: 7 Time(s)
    hdc: command error: error=0x50 { La...: 7 Time(s)
    hdc: command error: status=0x51 { D...: 7 Time(s)

---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------
    Last edited by Ghent; 14th May 2005 at 11:30 PM. Reason: More info on thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you revert back to your old kernel?

Does the system remain unstable when do you that?

If it does, I'm going to guess you've got a harddrive about to fail

AndyGreen Guest
    What is hdc? Your CD drive? Or a HDD?

Ghent Guest
    hdc is my cd rom. I had a music cd in there, so I took it out. I hope that is not freaking out my system, if it is I might have a fun bug to report. I really don't want to rollback my kernel, because I had to recompile and reinstall my driver for my wireless card when I upgraded and don't want to go through that headache again. But that may still have to be my next step.
    Last edited by Ghent; 14th May 2005 at 10:19 PM.

jspaar Guest
    I get those same hdc errors from my DVD drive and my system is rock solid. So I think that's probably a red herring.

FWIW, here's what I'd try for starters:

Reverting to an older kernel that was known to be stable like stry_cat said is a good idea, IMHO.

But personally I'd worry most about that wireless card and its drivers. If you pull it out (pain, I know), is everything stable again?

If no kernel is stable anymore, I'd boot from a Fedora install disk and run memtest through a pass or two, just to make sure your RAM (or CPU cooling) hasn't gone dodgey.

If your hard drive is under suspicion, install smartmontools and run the smartd service (configure /etc/smartd.conf). Most drives are SMART-capable and should give some notice of imminent doom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghent
    I am a technical person, but not a linux expert. My fedora core 3 machine frequently will completely lock up and the only solution is to power cycle. I have made many changes to my system since it was stable, most notably upgrading to the latest kernel, installing a RaLink wireless card, and reconfiguring yum. I have been through everything in /var/log and nothing jumped out at me. The only thing I noticed is the following message in root's mail for Log Watch. Any assistance on how I could start diagnosing or resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Linux shire 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 #1 Thu Apr 7 19:23:49 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------

WARNING: Kernel Errors Present
    Error: Illegal request...: 7 Time(s)
    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector...: 7 Time(s)
    hdc: command error: error=0x50 { La...: 7 Time(s)
    hdc: command error: status=0x51 { D...: 7 Time(s)

---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------

Although the specific details of your problem are a bit different, I found that when I upgraded to 2.6.11-1.14, I encountered this bug https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzill...g.cgi?id=155472 which caused my system to freeze, most often during the poweroff cycle. I reverted to 2.6.11-1.7 and the problem went away. (I couldn't get 2.6.11-1.21 to work with my nvidia video drivers.)

Ghent Guest
    Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I will try what is posted here and post the results. Thanks for all of your help.

weinerdogus Guest
    Try updating to the latest kernel using up2date. (kernel 2.6.11-1.27). I had encountered all sorts of problems with 1.14 and could not get my nvidia driver to work. I just updated from 2.6.9-1.667 to the 2.6.11-1.27 kernel, installed my nvidia driver and my system booted smooth as silk.

Ghent Guest
    Just upgraded my kernel the other day. Running 2.6.11-1.27_FC3. Still crappy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day before yesterday I upgraded to kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3.x86_64 and the latest nvidia drivers (7176, I think). Nary a problem, and no hangs yet.