FC3 & Sony DRU-530A support & Canon Photo iP8500 support
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    BMillikan Guest

FC3 & Sony DRU-530A support & Canon Photo iP8500 support

I have Fedora Core 3 (and, hence, kernel-2.6) and I am trying to get "cdrecord" to work with a DVD-R or DVD+R. Has anyone had any success with this?

In addition, I just bought a new Canon PIXMA iP8500 printer and would like to install it on my Linux computer. I used a BJC8500 driver under Canon (using "CUPS") and it printed the picture but it was about 1/4 of the size it should be. Any ideas on this? Any else successfully get this printer installed?

Thanks,
    Brian

I've been able to write data DVDs with cdrecord. I've never tried to write movie DVDs.
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

BMillikan Guest
    Which version of cdrecord are you using? Are you using FC3? Also, have you modified the cdrecord.conf file? What parameters do you use when writing the DVDs (I'm also trying to write data DVDs from an iso file)?

I'll have to check most of that when I go home this evening. I know I write them from an *.iso file made by mkisofs.
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

The machine has FC3 with kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3
    cdrecord --scanbus
    shows the drive as:
    1,0,0 100) 'SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-720A ' 'JY02' Removable CD-ROM

As root, I can record data a DVD with a command like:
    cdrecord -sao speed=16 dev=ATA:1,0,0 mydata.iso

There is a gui application that pops up when I put in a DVD blank, and I have to close it before doing my command line recording.

bigfootnmd Guest
    Hi there,
    This is a post about your printer. There is a set of drivers that support your canon printer and many others (HP and epson too). It is called turboprint. I have been using turboprint to drive my canon i850 printer (your printer is supported) since November 2003. You can download the FREE version and try it.
    To get full use you need to register it which will run you around $40 (US dollars + currency conversion fee depending on your bank or credit card). Here is the link

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

Good luck

ashrak Guest
    Hi

Don't know if this helps but im using FC5 and used the BJC8300 driver for the iP8500 and it seems to be working fine after i adjusted the page size and printable area.