Console colors not correctly displayed
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    woosting Guest

Question Console colors not correctly displayed

I installed FedoraCore3 on two computers.

But when I play a game (Fate-MUD) on both systems when im in a txt-only console the colors seems to be wrong sometimes. For instance yellow becomes orange and dark gray becomes black (on a black background )

On a graphical shell like KDE or GNOME an emulated console works perfectly... How do I correct this?

Thank you guys in advance for your answers!
    Woosting
    Last edited by woosting; 21st February 2005 at 07:36 PM.

woosting Guest
    Why doesn't anyone answer? Is this just such an exotic problem or is it something else?

I'll take a guess at it - my guess is that the regular ol' console video driver is pretty plain and doesn't use 16-bit color, only 8. So this isn't really a "problem" at all, just The Way Things Are. If you want all the colors to show, you'll probably have to use a frame-buffer console, but personally I don't think it's worth it. I hardly ever work on the console, but I'll have a boat-load of XTerms floating around at any given time.
    Linux User #28251 (April '93)
    Professional Java Geek :cool:

woosting Guest
    Thank you!

That was what my guess was too, but this game I play was written to be played on consoles (it's a really old text based MUD). How many colors is 8-bits ( I think this mud only uses 16 colors)?

The thing is, I have a really old machine (well it IS a dual proc PII400 + 500MB RAM) and I want to install a txt-based MUD client on that machine. It can "serve" me, so wherever I am I will be able to play on it (It is always running). This because half the fun of txt-muds (for me that is) is building scripts. I play on may different computers and I'm tyred of constantly installing clients and taking the scripts with me to copy to those Hardrives etc. so this "server" would have been a perfect solution.
    It all works nicely when I connect using putty (on a windows machine), but when I connect using another linux txt-only console I get this problem.

I would like to use txt-based only because that way I can easally connect through SSH and (secondary) it works the quickest (it is even a txt-game built for this). So I guess I will have to dig into the frame-buffering thing.
    Last edited by woosting; 22nd February 2005 at 12:44 PM.

woosting Guest
    Now I know for sure... The mud uses 16 colors (8 standard colors and theyr brighter versions), while my pure-txt-TTY's only displayes 8...
    Any bright idea's?
    Last edited by woosting; 22nd February 2005 at 07:13 PM.

Frame-buffer console?

woosting Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crackers
    Frame-buffer console?
    I am not sure how to check... and if not how to implement that. I'll try to google some.

Actually, just search here or in Installation - it's in a recent thread (about resolution in console mode).

Yes, I'm being lazy...

woosting Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crackers
    Actually, just search here or in Installation - it's in a recent thread (about resolution in console mode).

Yes, I'm being lazy...
    Haha, I will look, and no you are not lasy, you give me just the info I need to get ahead (no need for you doing my job :P)